General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

When's the latest I can wait to buy an '08?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Good luck, when I checked last night there were 2 in the state of Colorado. And if the color is changing for 09' (black, blue, orange) almost no chance.

I'm with Chris, If you got $889 below invoice they got there money from you elsewhere, probably your trade.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
ah this is great: chastisizing the new fit because it looks like a van.

last time i checked, ours did too. the new fit will be a better car, as good as ours is. there is no need to hate.
Not hatin', just preferring. I'm a small girl -- 5 ft tall -- I like a small car. I don't want to drive anything bigger than the one I have. The 2009 has a longer nose, and I agree with Juliane in her assessment of the visibility issues, at least going by the photos.

I prefer the original look, not the chubbier one. It does look a bit like a baby van. I'm not into vans, even little ones. I wouldn't be driving a 4 door at all if not for the Fit. I didn't get rid of my 1997 Civic Hatchback for 11 years because there was nothing small enough with the Honda name. When the Fit came out, I was delirious.

Why can't they keep these cars small? The Civic has been stretched into a something that looks not like a cute little peanut of a car, but like a sub-Accord. That may be fine for some people, but my preference is for a tiny, sexy hatchback, not a longer-nosed, chubbier, shrunken window version of the Fit. I'm an evangelist for the original Fit style, and sharing my buying experience with Juliane, trying to push her off the fence into buying the body style she likes -- soon!

njo/TexFit

Last edited by TexFit; 08-14-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
Sorry, I can see a measurable difference, and yes, I can turn my head! I want a large field of visibility and I don't see why every car manufacturer is going to smaller windows. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and I said above that the greater visibility of the Fit was one of the reasons I wanted the car.

You don't have to defend the car - I like the '07 and '08, but the '09 satisfies fewer of my criteria than the previous models, including the all-around look of the car.
Same here. We're allowed to like what we like!

One of our favorite things about our 2008 Fit is the body color inside the headlamps. The 2009 doesn't appear to have that anymore, and has changed to some features I don't love. That little bit of body color in the lights was a nice little touch. I hope it is still there, but the photos don't show that.

I'm sure the 2009 will be a fine car, of course. I just am with you -- I don't think it has the features and look I wanted, but if I had no choice, of course I'd buy the 2009. I just am glad we got the body style of the 2008, it's just more appealing to me.

I'm not saying I would never buy the 2009 had we not gotten what we got. But I'm happier with the looks of the original styling and glad it doesn't look like a Prius wannabe.

Last edited by TexFit; 08-14-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Try Richard's Honda in Baton Rouge, they found me the one I wanted and I bought it yesterday. They are selling out quickly. Richard's Honda was the best car dealer I have EVER dealt with.

proud new owner of an 08 manual sport in milano red!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I think you are confused about the diminished visibility. "ProMed" cited a recent Consumer Reports auto show video. I just watched it, and the reviewer raved about the increased visibility in the '09 models -- especially because of the redesigned windshield. With so many other enhanced modifications that the new model has over the '08 version, why bash the '09? I'm guessing that even with the increased horsepower, the newer Fits will also get better MPG than the older ones....

Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TexFit
Not hatin', just preferring. I'm a small girl -- 5 ft tall -- I like a small car. I don't want to drive anything bigger than the one I have. The 2009 has a longer nose, and I agree with Juliane in her assessment of the visibility issues, at least going by the photos.

I prefer the original look, not the chubbier one. It does look a bit like a baby van. I'm not into vans, even little ones. I wouldn't be driving a 4 door at all if not for the Fit. I didn't get rid of my 1997 Civic Hatchback for 11 years because there was nothing small enough with the Honda name. When the Fit came out, I was delirious.

Why can't they keep these cars small? The Civic has been stretched into a something that looks not like a cute little peanut of a car, but like a sub-Accord. That may be fine for some people, but my preference is for a tiny, sexy hatchback, not a longer-nosed, chubbier, shrunken window version of the Fit. I'm an evangelist for the original Fit style, and sharing my buying experience with Juliane, trying to push her off the fence into buying the body style she likes -- soon!

njo/TexFit
I'm well off the fence but still Fitless! I can't find one now! Arrrrgggghhhh!!! The other thing that strikes me about the '09 Fit is that it looks a lot more like the Matrix.

It's kind of like clothing fashions, I guess. There are periods of time when I think the clothing designers have lost their minds, or the styles just don't flatter me, fit me, make me look cute, they are all just YUCK! Right now, it's that way with the car designers. I think they have left those of us who don't want to drive gargantuan cars completely without options. Every single model, even the tiny ones, keeps growing! Except the windows, and they keep shrinking. I mean, look at what they did to the xB! That car was at least unique and roomy and had great visibility. Now it's MUCH larger, has MUCH less visibility, and looks like crap. What's wrong with these people??? Next thing, they'll be growing the Mini into something van-sized...

The CRV and the Rav4 both used to be smallish little SUVs, either of which would work just fine for me right now. Both of them are now monsters, comparitively speaking. With crummy mileage, too! I guess because gas has been relatively cheap, and because people's girth keeps growing, the bigger cars and SUVs have been in demand. We all need to downsize, both our cars and our middles!

Thanks for the support! Man, if I get my Fit I'm going to be SO HAPPY!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prufrock
I think you are confused about the diminished visibility. "ProMed" cited a recent Consumer Reports auto show video. I just watched it, and the reviewer raved about the increased visibility in the '09 models -- especially because of the redesigned windshield. With so many other enhanced modifications that the new model has over the '08 version, why bash the '09? I'm guessing that even with the increased horsepower, the newer Fits will also get better MPG than the older ones....
Dude, we're not bashing the '09! Just saying that we don't like the styling. I know the front windshield is bigger. It's the other windows that have shrunk. Even if the windows were the same, I don't like the front end, nor the rear lights. Just too many changes to me, makes it a different car entirely, one I don't want to drive. There are a lot of people here who are already ordering an '09, but some of us just don't dig it.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by familyfit
Try Richard's Honda in Baton Rouge, they found me the one I wanted and I bought it yesterday. They are selling out quickly. Richard's Honda was the best car dealer I have EVER dealt with.

proud new owner of an 08 manual sport in milano red!
From their website, they have one Base in Milano red. :P

Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 PM
mine was not on their lot either, they got it for me out of state, they are one of the largest Honda dealers in the area and evidently have a good reciprocal agreement w/ other dealers. The honda dealer in covington also had a fair inventory.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 PM
My wife also is 5 ft. The difference of a couple inches in a car is not significant. This all depends on personal preference. When I showed her a side-by-side comparison of the '08/'09 models, she liked the '09 more. I could see why some prefer one model over the over. It's all pretty subjective. I like the styling of my '02 Accord coupe over the newer versions, but I miss the greater toys that the most recent models have. When I compared/contrasted the Fits, I thought the '09 was a no-brainer.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
I am glad i went with the 08 not the 09. It looks nice but i think they are just going to make it big for no reason the 08 modles was good. They should have kept it and just modifed some interior things on the 08 and made the engine a little bigger with the same mpg. But both are great cars if u ask me keep looking u will find one

Old 08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prufrock
My wife also is 5 ft. The difference of a couple inches in a car is not significant. This all depends on personal preference. When I showed her a side-by-side comparison of the '08/'09 models, she liked the '09 more. I could see why some prefer one model over the over. It's all pretty subjective. I like the styling of my '02 Accord coupe over the newer versions, but I miss the greater toys that the most recent models have. When I compared/contrasted the Fits, I thought the '09 was a no-brainer.
Yep, it's all personal preference, and I realize that I may be in the minority for objecting to the styling of the '09! It's just that I'm picky! The stuff they are putting in doesn't equal out to looking at my car and going...ewwwww....just can't stomach that front and the smaller windows, and the different rear end. I've been told I'm too sensitive to insignificant details...oh well...

Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 PM
You can buy an '08 Fit tomorrow, the next day, or even a decade from now! Just gotta find it.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wuze
You can buy an '08 Fit tomorrow, the next day, or even a decade from now! Just gotta find it.
Yeah, and where are those unicorns hanging out these days...??? Or maybe Sasquatch...

I want one with less than 12,000 miles on it...

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I can see a measurable difference, and yes, I can turn my head! I want a large field of visibility and I don't see why every car manufacturer is going to smaller windows. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and I said above that the greater visibility of the Fit was one of the reasons I wanted the car.

You don't have to defend the car - I like the '07 and '08, but the '09 satisfies fewer of my criteria than the previous models, including the all-around look of the car.
You're allowed to want what you want -- I see a VBP here, didn't you decide you wanted that color after all? This is a Auto sport -- still has 5 speed on the steering wheel shifters -- worth calling about? I bet Louisiana might be your best bet at this point, though.

Victory Honda - Victoria TX
Newmyer Honda
877-984-6632

Good luck! It is more clear to me every day why our dealer acted as if they were doing us a favor by selling us our car. They knew there were 19 people behind us who would take it if we didn't. But we still managed to knock down our previously-negotiated price when we went to pick it up, since it hadn't been detailed for us.

njo

Last edited by TexFit; 08-14-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redhatyellow2
I'm in Los Angeles so I have tons of dealerships to choose from.

Pulled a lacated for CAli there are a total of 41 sport AT fits left in the state. Which is 40 more than in CO. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Got my manual sport tidewater blue fit in June. Great car! Richard's Honda in Baton Rouge though, kept telling me that a silver storm (2nd choice) was coming in in just a few days and they knew I needed it soon because I was going out of town for two months. Anyway, I finally decided to go 50 miles west to Lafayette Moss Honda where I got exactly what I wanted for the price I wanted. Not below but at least at invoice. It's hard but not impossible to negotiate even though the selection is so small. If you tell them that one dealer nearby is willing to sell you a fit for a particular price they'll at least match it if not try to beat it. Anyway, got my new Honda Fit at Moss Motors at the price I wanted. Only had 8 miles on it!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TexFit
You're allowed to want what you want -- I see a VBP here, didn't you decide you wanted that color after all? This is a Auto sport -- still has 5 speed on the steering wheel shifters -- worth calling about? I bet Louisiana might be your best bet at this point, though.

Victory Honda - Victoria TX
Newmyer Honda
877-984-6632

Good luck! It is more clear to me every day why our dealer acted as if they were doing us a favor by selling us our car. They knew there were 19 people behind us who would take it if we didn't. But we still managed to knock down our previously-negotiated price when we went to pick it up, since it hadn't been detailed for us.

njo
Thanks! I went to their website and they have the VBP listed - but of course things could have changed over the course of this morning. Thing is, that these cars are disappearing off lots quicker than I can find them, or make the deal. But yeah, this one might do it. It's either this or a slightly used one up in St. Louis, that is a BBP. But only has a 3 year warranty now...

Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! I went to their website and they have the VBP listed - but of course things could have changed over the course of this morning. Thing is, that these cars are disappearing off lots quicker than I can find them, or make the deal. But yeah, this one might do it. It's either this or a slightly used one up in St. Louis, that is a BBP. But only has a 3 year warranty now...
Meyer Honda in O'fallon, IL had a blue one yesterday. it wasn't on the site but it was on the lot and wasn't sold when I asked about it. They were really nice there too. I ordered my 09 there.

BTW, I live right outside of St Louis.... Meyer Honda in O'fallon is about 20 min east of St Louis on 64....

Old 08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EyeDreamt
Meyer Honda in O'fallon, IL had a blue one yesterday. it wasn't on the site but it was on the lot and wasn't sold when I asked about it. They were really nice there too. I ordered my 09 there.

BTW, I live right outside of St Louis.... Meyer Honda in O'fallon is about 20 min east of St Louis on 64....
It's actually Bommarito in Ellison that has the BBP - with 1,010 miles on it. It would be 18K + TTL by the time they shipped it here. I don't think I want it THAT bad! Darn I wish my dealer would trade for it!

Last edited by Juliane; 08-15-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: When's the latest I can wait to buy an '08?