General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Relay or Fuse or Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Question Relay or Fuse or Headlights?

Disclaimer: I searched for 20 minutes trying to find a thread that already covered this with no luck, so you are more than welcome to send me the link to a thread that will help me if I happened to pass over it in my search.

So I have standard headlights that I did change the factory bulbs to a brighter white bulb. Randomly the other day, my Headlights (low beams) no longer function. My fog lights work, my high beams work, but no low beams.

Any ideas? Has this happened to you? Is it a fuse? Is it my headlights? or a Relay?

Anyway, I would love the suggestions or ideas.

Thanks!

grradams

Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wat wattage did you use? ive seen some folks completely melt their harness
from using higher wattage bulbs.

could be the relay that burnt out, or the fuse, or your harness, or all.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
they were H4 12v 100/55W

wouldnt it not be the fuse if my high beams still work? or?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
humm.... do you still have your factory bulbs? try them and see if it does the
same.

i dont have the electronic circuit manual for the Fit yet so can't give any
pinpoint items to check.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 PM
yup im looking up the diagram and looks like you fried your wiring because theres a left and right headlight fuse, but no low and high beam one.. see if your wiring or bulb connector looks melted

Old 08-24-2018, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Fuses should have protected your harness, so I wouldn't personally worry much about that, but a few min with a multimeter should be able to let you know if you have any of the headlamp wires either shorted to each other or to ground.

Looks like you should first check Fuse #1 (20A) in Fusebox "A" under the hood. It's located just above the battery. There seem to be 3 headlight fuses, one for both Low Beams and one for each Hugh Beam (Left and Right) . Check Fuse #1 first. If it is good, then there is almost certainly a relay that controls the headlights, probably 2, one for low-beam and another for the high beams. I can't find anything that shows the location of that relay though, it's probably in that same fusebox though. I'll keep looking.

If neither of those is the issue, then I'd start looking for bad/melted wiring issues. Without a factory service manual, that's going to be a bit of a challenge. I know that Honda will let you access that information online, but they charge $10 a day for that privilege... Neither Haynes or Chiltons appear to have a manual for the 3rd gen Fit. I'm not a big fan of either for newer cars anyway. Alldatadiy also does not have anything for the 3rd gen Fit (or any Honda newer than 2013 for that matter. Looks like Honda is the only source..... https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx $10 per day, what a ripoff.....

EDIT: Just realized that you didn't say what year Fit. I've been scouring the GK (3rd gen) forum and assumed that was where you had posted. So if you have an older Fit, kindly ignore my well-intentioned advice. I suspect the older Fit is probably similar in headlight wiring configuration, but I'm far from certain on that and the fuse numbers would probably be different. Apologies for that.

Last edited by MikeDD969; 08-24-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
yup im looking up the diagram and looks like you fried your wiring because theres a left and right headlight fuse, but no low and high beam one.. see if your wiring or bulb connector looks melted

Hondamatic,

If you have found a wiring diagram for the GK I'd love to know where. My "Google-fu" is pretty strong, but so far I've struck out. I could REALLY use one to track down a weird problem I'm having.......