General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

1990 honds civic dx hatchback(good buy?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:24 PM
1990 honds civic dx hatchback(good buy?)

Hi
This is my first post. I have been logging onto this site for the past 3 months and I love it. My wife has been bugging me for the past year to get rid of my 1986 vw Quantum station wagon. It has 257,000 miles and has never broken down on me. I have been doing alot of research for the past year, I am VERY interested in the FIT. Yesterday, someone I work with offered to sell me their deceased brothers 1990 civic dx hatchback. His parents drive it about 2,000 miles a year and store it in a garage for the rest of the time. It has 50,000 miles and is in excellent shape. I am a few weeks from buying a new fit, SHOULD I HOLD OFF AND BUY THE 90 CIVIC OR FORGET ABOT THE CIVIC AND GET THE FIT?? any suggestions/comments would help. Thanks

Old 03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Those EF body style Civics can last forever with the proper maintenance. I had a 1990 Civic Si that wassold with 408,000kms on it. It had been well maintained throughout it’s life.

Depends on you. Are you happy with a 16 year old bare bones car, or do you want some nice accessories, cup holders, safety equipment?

Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 PM
What are her reasons for making you sell your VW?

A 1990 Civic with only 50k on it will last a long time, but I'd be sure to make sure that it's been maintained. Low mileage alone does not a solid car make, make sure that age-related issues have all been dealt with (hoses, etc..).

In the end, it'll be much cheaper to keep the Civic and do maintenance on it than it will be to make payments on a warranteed Fit.

Although, a 1990 Civic DX is also not a Fit. I guess it depends on priorities.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks I have been driving my bare bones Quantum forever. I am not very needy I just don't want to throw away 2000 dollars that I could use as a down payment on a fit. Are the 1990 civic very dependable?

Old 03-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks I am going to check the car out tom. Supposedly it has been very maticliouslly maintained. Never even driven in the winter?

Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Any specific things you would recommend that I look for when I check it out tommorrow?

Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Check for rust in the rear wheel wells, check that the timing belt and water pump have been changed. Have a look to see if the fluids have been changed, condition of the bushings, springs, struts.

If it has never seen snow, would be a fun car to convert into a sleeper!

Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks I will definately do that. What is a sleeper? because it really never has seen snow. The guy brought me the records and it has had its oil dealer changed every 3000 miles and while it wasn't being driven they even had the oil changed every three months. The timing belt has not been changed I was told it has always run fine snd was never recommended by the dealer yet?

Old 03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
I had two of them that I sold with well over 200K on the clock, rock solid cars

Old 03-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Those belts are supposed to be changed every 120,000kms or 7 years in Canada, due to the cold winters. Not sure what the interval is in the US. I’d change it anyways, you wouldn’t want a 16 year old belt to snap on the highway and destroy the valves.

A sleeper is a car that looks stock, but has a modified motor or swap, brakes and suspension.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Timing Belts and fluids have to be changed. If the belt goes and it will, bye bye engine. Age will rot a timing belt very nicely especially after 16 years.

Otherwise it should be no problem.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Do change that timing belt! Use an OEM belt. The ones made by Goodyear for that model are slightly off in their design, meaning that the timing will never be right.

If the fluids have been changed religiously, and if the mileage is as low as you've been told, then the water pump should be good as new. My ace mechanic buddy who works on my cars changed mine (an original) out at 215 000 km and couldn't believe that it was almost as good as new. I tell you, he was not an import fan until he started working on my '91 cx. Its reliability over all these years convinced him to purchase a new Accord. He used to be a "GM guy".

Don't forget rubber hoses, as they tend to dry out over time and can spring a leak when you least expect it. Furthermore, if you intend on driving her through the winter, I suggest you get her rust-proofed at a competent shop.

You can't go wrong with those models. Aside from exhaust and finicky brakes, they've proven to be economical and bulletproof.
Good luck to you!

Old 03-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks so much for all the help. I tested the car last night. I love it! It was like it was new. Thanks again to everyone for their help. I have a feeling I am going to have alot of fun with this car. I can take my time and really evaluate the fit now. Will be waiting to hear fit-freak stories on the fit>

Old 03-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Ultimately it'd probably be nice to have both that hatch and the Fit, so that on snowy days, or in the rain, or just anytime you don't feel like taking the Fit, you still have the faultlessly reliable Civic.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Well, I'd be taking the Fit on those snowy, rainy days. The Fit is a MUCH safer car than the EF Civic could ever be.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I dunno, in crappy weather, I'd much rather leave the newer, nicer car in the garage where it belongs. Unless you're *gasp* parking them both outside in the first place, in which case I guess it wouldn't matter....

I'd certainly trust the EF in the snow with some Blizzaks on it. I mean, I guess it doesn't have the side airbags and all that in case someone ELSE hits you, but just in terms of your own ability to deal with the conditions, all the Fit has on the EF is ABS, which I think is overrated anyway if you know how to use a brake pedal properly.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
In an emergency, I'd much rather have ABS than without.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by HashiriyaS14
I dunno, in crappy weather, I'd much rather leave the newer, nicer car in the garage where it belongs. Unless you're *gasp* parking them both outside in the first place, in which case I guess it wouldn't matter....

I'd certainly trust the EF in the snow with some Blizzaks on it. I mean, I guess it doesn't have the side airbags and all that in case someone ELSE hits you, but just in terms of your own ability to deal with the conditions, all the Fit has on the EF is ABS, which I think is overrated anyway if you know how to use a brake pedal properly.
I owned a 1990 Civic Si for over 4 years, sure it handled well, but it was a rolling death trap if I were to be involved in any serious accident.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1158.html

That's for a 1991 Civic 4 door, the closest remaining on the site. A 3 start rating for frontal crash is horrible by todays standards. Here's the 2006 Civic 4 door for comparison.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/3691.html

The differences are incredible. The newer chassis are also much stronger, the Fit has 6 airbags compared to the 88-91 Civics 0 airbags, ABS, EBC, etc.

Sure using an older car in the winter is often done to maintain a new cars condition, but at the same time, you are putting your life in jeopardy.