General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How Much Pent Up Demand for Honda HD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 06:57 AM
How Much Pent Up Demand for Honda HB?

Going by memory, but aside from the previous Si, wan't the last Honda HB a 1999 (which I think was the last double wishbones all around as well)? So, we're looking at 7 years for the last Honda hatch, and the Fit is the only hatch in Honda's line-up - no Civic hatch like in Europe.

My last small car purchase was a 2002.5 Protege5. I bought it because it was a hatch and came standard with what I wanted (got a sunroof as well) for $15,600 or so before TTT. My parents had a Rabbit hatch, then a Civic HB which I eventually bought. Boy was that Civic hatch perfect for hauling a sea kayak with that long roof line to put roof racks on. Don't know why hatches are not popular in the U.S. because that is the only economy car set-up I will purchase. Not only for hauling stuff, but I like the short rear overhang for parking and maybe missing a few rear end dings from careless others.

In any case, I am thinking the Fit is going to be a very strong success for Honda. I was just looking at all the other b segment cars and I cannot see them being more desireable and in many cases, much less so. The Fit looks like a mini-minivan and I think this is really going to make potential buyers more comfortable buying something this small.

The only thing that drives me nuts is so many cars will be sold as automatics. On the plus side, the paddle shifters on the Sport should be a neat feature for Joe Commuter who has to have the auto.

I think once people see the Fit on the road the demand is going to be very intense. Am I full of it?

Last edited by ex_MGB; 03-26-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 AM
For some reason, hatchbacks are not too popular in the US. Small wagons seem to be even more unpopular. I think they are great for hauling stuff and cartopping. I don't understand the American public's ideas about what car they want to have. Maybe there are others out there that like hatchbacks, its definitely an underserved market.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:20 AM
The Fit continues a progression of "common-sense" why-didn't-I-think-of-that vehicles of the past 20 years: When the minivan was introduced by Chrysler in the mid-eighties, it was the "Big Thing" filling a huge niche in the market with practicality for growing boomer families with Gen X-Y kids. I bought one, and it changed the market-- every automaker soon came out with one. In the early nineties, the Mazda Miata MX-5 was the "Big Thing" with a return to pure fun roadsters (and was reliable as hell, loved by Consumer Reports as well as by Car & Driver). I bought one, and it changed the market-- many automakers soon came out with one. Now the Fit/Jazz comes along from Honda, with versatility, roominess, small shadow, fun, good mileage w/out hybridization, etc-- I'll buy one this year, trading in the Miata, since I think it'll be the next "Big Thing" and will change the market-- every automaker soon will come out with one. Call me trendy, or call me common-sense practical-- the Fit will be a Hit.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by skylark
For some reason, hatchbacks are not too popular in the US. Small wagons seem to be even more unpopular.
Actually, that is starting to change rapidly. The high price of gasoline has forced many Americans to find vehicles with versatile carry capability without the poor fuel economy of SUV's and minivans; that's why sales of these vehicles:

Ford Focus (3/5-door hatchback, 5-door wagon)
Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe "twins"
Mazda3 (5-door hatchback)
Kia Rio5
Chevrolet Aveo (5-door hatchback)
Scion xA and xB

...have been very strong lately. Why do you think sales of the new Chevrolet HHR and Dodge Caliber have been very strong, too?

I think the Honda Fit will sell very strongly in the USA, and in fact Honda may end up selling 90,000 Fits just in the first calendar year of sales here.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Remember the days when you could buy an Accord hatchback, Camry hatchback, Civic hatchback...

Old 03-26-2006, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
When I mentioned to my Honda salesman that I thought wagons would make a strong comeback soon, he agreed. I expect to see the Honda Airwave by 2008. Once the Fit shows the demand for a versatile wagon-like vehicle, and gas prices never go back down, we'll see Honda roar back with a larger wagon to beat out the competition as the enthusiasm for big SUVs and vans continues to wane. Just like the Fit was on the market outside the U.S. for a few years elsewhere before hitting North America, the Airwave or something similar will start growing in popularity and then cross the ocean. If Honda can keep the price at or below the competition on their bigger wagon, especially with the Magic Seats(R), they'll dominate the market. Hopefully Toyota will then bring back the Camry wagon or something like it, and the consumer will benefit by the competition and the choices. I've already seen some on-line complaints from people who have SUVs and minivans, but would prefer a station wagon. Coming up with a less homely, old-fashioned name might help, but I think there are enough smart people who'll look past the marketing and hype and buy what they really need for their lifestyle.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm glad nowadays the industry is using the term hatchback or sport; as the term station wagon conjurs up images of faded/peeling woody sides of that 80's era.

In certain markets though, it is still not catching on as those suburbia folk and innercity young families who may truly embrace the rice-wagon to haul the occasional stuff that cannot fit in the conventional sedan truck. My neighbours to the south still have to have the blood for SUV's or full sized Pick-ups.

Up here in Canada with the advent of the Protege 5, Matrix and almost every kind in-between sells well. This is the crack of our streets. I'm currently a Protege 5 owner who loves the versatility but I'm taking her back for another hatch. I'm wondering how the Mazda 5 is doing to ween people off the mini-van concept. Time will tell.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:49 PM
MtViewGuy,
Just a guess, but I don't think they'll bring in that many the first year. I would guess more like 40,000 and ramp it up in the next model year after the dust settles for this new car. Possibility?

Old 03-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by ex_MGB
Going by memory, but aside from the previous Si, wan't the last Honda HB a 1999 (which I think was the last double wishbones all around as well)?
In Canada, we had the non Si HB until 2000.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I bought a 1985 Dodge Caravan, but didn't get a Miata till 2001 when the special edition was BRG with tan interior, just like the MGB I bought out of college.

I've got an '05 Ody, but coming off an Astro, I don't think the wife would have adapted to a Mazda5, but I've got to say if it was me, I'd rather drive a manual Mazda5 than the Ody. I'm buying a Fit Sport MT for my son but don't need it until later in the summer and am worried about availability then.

It will be fun to see it and compare it to the competition but looking it over on the net it sure seems like the Fit is the winner by a big margin in the b segment. Plus, having bought a used 1989 Accord Lxi for $1,000 from a co-worker and seeing how well that runs at 190,000 miles (after replacing the main relay of course) as well as ease of maintenance, I'll pay some extra to get the Honda nameplate.

Finally, when some car manufacturer produces a Hatchback specifcally designed for MODEST car topping, say 150 pound load up top, they are really going to be doing something. I'm thinking a set of unobtrusive cleats permanently mounted on the roof that would serve as a quick attachment point for a Yakima or Thule rack. A good rack system on a fairly low to the ground hatchback is perfect for bikes, kayaks and what not. A tall SUV is horrible, too high to reach. I used to love coming home on Thursday evening (I worked 4-10's with Fridays off) and in 30 minutes putting the roof rack on my '85 Civic HB and strapping my 19' Current Designs "Expedition" sea kayak on top, throwing my gear in the back and be ready to hit the back bays and Atlantic barrier islands the Nature Conservancy owns at the south end of the pennisula first thing in the morning!

I laugh at people with their four wheel drives thinking they're getting out to the wilderness. To me, the wilderness starts where motorized vehicles can't get. Give me a hatchback with a roof rack anyday.

Last edited by ex_MGB; 03-26-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VTECRoadWarrior
MtViewGuy,
Just a guess, but I don't think they'll bring in that many the first year. I would guess more like 40,000 and ramp it up in the next model year after the dust settles for this new car. Possibility?
I've heard that demand for the Fit has been much higher than Honda anticipated and Honda is thinking about increasing the first-year allocation for the US market way beyond 50,000 (though probably not to the very limit the Japanese assembly can increase production for the USA without interfering with JDM sales).

Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Pent up demand

This is a little hard to guess. The fact that gas prices are rising here bodes well for sales of fuel efficient cars in the USA. We have been wasteful, but now it will cost us. Some folks wait on new models to see if they hold up. However, the Fit has an edge here as the Jazz has been being made for some time. I am very interested: I have long felt that the best the best configuration for an auto is a 4 door hatchback, but there have been few here to choose from recently. We had a Ford Focus wagon, but the MPG was a disapointment. I want to see & drive a Fit before I decide, but I am leaning strongly toward it over competition. Too much demand wil raise price and for a another $1000 to 1500, one could get a base Civic, so this could be a factor against Honda's pricing. Entry level folks might go for the Yaris or Rio for the $$$ alone.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Personally, I'm a wee bit disappointed in the Cdn$ for the top-of-the-line model pricing of the Fit.., although I'm gonna buy it. I respect the value laden features in the sub-compact class.

But the Mazda 3 sport hatch for the same amount of money and value laden features, slightly higher fuel economy, more power and status is a heartwrenching decision. Over the longterm, reliability, durability, higher gas prices I will be happier with the fit.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:42 AM
There's a couple of Honda dealers on the Fit forum on Temple of VTEC. One made a good point, with 1,200 domestic dealerships, on average each dealership gets 3-4 Fit allotment per month, so for me, my dealer (mid-volume) will probably get one manual transmission Fit Sport every two months till the end of the year.

As to the Mazda3. I own two Mazdas, a 2001SE Miata and a 2002.5 Protege. The engines in both are of ancient design but the heads are modern and there are good things to be said about that cast iron block. Both cars have been rock solid reliable. I think a Mazda3 is every bit as reliable as a Civic. In fact, there is no way I'd go with a Civic when I can get a Mazda3 hatch. A Civic hatch is another story, but that's not an option.

However, the Fit is perfectly acceptable and I like the better mileage. I also like the magic seats. In short, its all I really need and some times less can be more.