General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

honda, please bring a small turbo diesel engine to north america

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
I like diesel engines but Honda wont be developing one soon there are new emission laws that require a soot burning Catalytic Converter that use a Diesel Emission Fluid (DEF), and most of the diesel produced is use in Commercial Vehicles and the rest is sold overseas for gasoline. The cost and testing is not worth it and Honda will probably come out with a Hydrogen Car that will be the answer to the energy problems. I know Honda came out with a Direct Injection Engine that operates at a 40 to 1 fuel air mixture. That is the next step toward a Hydrogen engine.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Isn't the direct emission fluid actually pee?..... I remember reading about Honda being in the forefront of the development of that system... It may have been years ago, I don't seem to have any kind of realistic concept of time anymore.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Starting in 2010 new vehicles it is required, its an (urea)ammonia and water mix in a tank that for every 50 gallons of diesel burned 1 gallon of DEF is used to burn off the soot. DEF is not that expensive but its another system to break down and the cost and energy to make it. We joke that when the truck stops because the motor shuts down and wont start again until someone pee's in that tank. International was having a problem meeting that requirement because they feel that there is another way to achieve the emission requirement but the government did not approve it (not sure if they figured it out yet).

Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Isn't the direct emission fluid actually pee?..... I remember reading about Honda being in the forefront of the development of that system... It may have been years ago, I don't seem to have any kind of realistic concept of time anymore.
Honda might have but I dont know, It would not surprise me Honda develops lot of things.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Cap
ahh, you've touched on another of my wishes: a small turbo diesel pickup. ford was going to make a 6 cylinder turbo diesel for the f-150 a couple of years ago but the auto crash put an end to that. i would have bought one if they did end up making them.
Mahindra Clean Diesel Pickup Trucks and SUVs

It'll never sell based on its handsome lines, but like a Jeep or an Element, it's endearing in a "so ugly its cool" sort of way.

And, while Mahindra is not a household name in the US, they've been producing vehicles for over 50 years, and started more or less as a licensee to build Willys Jeeps. And anything that can survive on the roads of India is likely to be pretty tough!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
I am strongly considering the purchase of a 4wd Mahindra tractor.... The old 2 cylinder 2wd Iseki diesel just isn't cutting it anymore.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
i'd like to drive one of those sometime. i wonder how it would be to obtain parts.

in regards to the clean diesel, there are other options besides using the piss tank. look up what volkswagon does for their TDIs. i'm assuming that TDI diesels are available in the usa like they are up here.

Originally Posted by Occam
Mahindra Clean Diesel Pickup Trucks and SUVs

It'll never sell based on its handsome lines, but like a Jeep or an Element, it's endearing in a "so ugly its cool" sort of way.

And, while Mahindra is not a household name in the US, they've been producing vehicles for over 50 years, and started more or less as a licensee to build Willys Jeeps. And anything that can survive on the roads of India is likely to be pretty tough!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I agree wholeheartedly! After we bought my wife's Fit Sport in 2009 my old car started giving me grief so I purchased a 2003 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed. What everyone says is true, the VW 1.9L TDI is a ballsy little engine, the 5 speed is very reliable (not the automatic) and this car gets BETTER mileage than the wife's FIT! it's a larger car, more comfortable ride and better mileage. Not sure what people are talking about messy diesels, the VW is not messy.

If Honda can make Motorcycle engines, Generator Engines, Outboard Engines, Car Engines, Lawnmower Engines, Jet aircraft, and friggin Robots. I don't think a well designed reliable efficient TDI engine is out of their powers of creation.

Come on Honda, give us a TDI Fit!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
a tdi fit would be fun, 3inch stack outta the rear, chipped blowing black smoke all over the place

Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
If they ever offer a diesel Jeep Wrangler, it may take all my willpower not to buy one as soon as they hit the lot.

Even if the TK is fugly. Time for a smaller TJ/YJ sized Jeep runabout.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Jeep put a deisel in the Liberty for about 2 months. They made 5000 just to see how well they would sell in the US. They sold out before they were shipped. I drove one when a friend bought it and WOW the giddyup in that thing versus the gasoline engine was unbelievable. it also got 26MPG versus the 20MPG of the Gasoline engine.
I drove a Citroen deisel Picasso C4 in England for three weeks last year and I just love the small deisel power and MPG.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
If anything, I'd like to see the Japanese 4x4 Fit here in the states

Old 08-05-2010, 02:26 PM
with the deisel so it can also be a stump puller on weekends

Old 08-28-2010, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Honda sign me up for a diesel Fit. Make it happen.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I was doing some research and found this Diesel ? Honda Worldwide Diesel Engine Technology Site I guess they were listening.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 AM
Cap
5 Year Member
looks cool but if things go like usual , everywhere else will get them except north america. besides, making a 2.2 ltr engine is going in the wrong direction for a car like the fit. that engine was put in the accord. the fit would be good with something along the lines of a 1.2 or 1.3. afterall, good mileage is the goal (in this example).

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I miss being able to drive 547 miles on 10 gallons of $99.9 cent a gallon diesel.... I would love to see something as light as an old VW Rabbit with diesel power on the market again.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cap
looks cool but if things go like usual , everywhere else will get them except north america. besides, making a 2.2 ltr engine is going in the wrong direction for a car like the fit. that engine was put in the accord. the fit would be good with something along the lines of a 1.2 or 1.3. afterall, good mileage is the goal (in this example).
Your right on track. The epa will keep the diesel, and even the turbo out of North America. If you want to find out, someone try importing the car over. It would be interesting if they allow it. Diesel cost is higher than it used to be and dont even smell like diesel anymore that we were used too. All our extra diesel is exported for gasoline. Thats why gasoline is higher than the summer even though its easier to make winter gas and cheaper.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
+1 for Diesel Turbo and/or Diesel Turbo+hybrid, but I'd take a 5M over an automatic FWIW. I'd have to teach the wife to drive stick though.
AND KEEP THE CURB WEIGHT DOWN!