General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hissy Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Hissy Fit!

Hey everyone! New to this forum and am loving all the information that I am reading here.

Okay, enoough about me, lets get to the car.

I got a 2009 Honda Fit, that is regularly serviced at the dealership that it was purchased from. Its got about 17,500 miles on it since I got it brand new in January 2009.

As I was driving home last night, I noticed a new noise that I have never heard my FIT make before. It kinda sounds like a bearing is going out. The noise is coming from the passenger side engine compartment, where the belt and all the engine pulleys are. Now, I noticed the noise when I was running the defroster, but when I turned off the defroster the noise stopped. Figured it was nothing and finished my drive home.

On the way to work this morning, I noticed the noise again. Got to the office and popped the hood. Could definitely hear the noise, but could not pinpoint the location. Even with the defroster off, I could hear it this time, at idle.

Now, I am definitely sure that the noise I am hearing is a bearing that is either bad or about to go bad, as I have been around machinery all my life and know the sound of a bad bearing. My car is still under warranty as well.

Do you think that this would be something covered under warranty, or am I looking at spending money I don't have for repairs?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
The fact that you say the noise when away when you turned off the defroster suggests a bad heater fan motor. I once had a car with a bad heater fan; the blades started making contact with the duct, creating a horrible racket. If you're still within warranty, I can not imagine any reason why this would not be covered.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Selden
The fact that you say the noise when away when you turned off the defroster suggests a bad heater fan motor. I once had a car with a bad heater fan; the blades started making contact with the duct, creating a horrible racket. If you're still within warranty, I can not imagine any reason why this would not be covered.

That was a good starting point Selden. I took in my car this morning to have it checked at the dealership, explained the noise, and told them what I thought it was. Told me it would be a few hours before they determined the cause, and sent me on my way in one of their loaners, a 2008 Civic.

Just called to check on the status. The AC expansion valve is not functioning properly, which is causing the noise. I was told that the part should not have failed, under any driving condition. They are going to replace it under warranty. Unfortunately, the part is going to have to be shipped from California, so it can't be taken care of until next week. But, since it is not an engine issue, I can pick up my car and bring it back in next week to have the part replaced.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by atauer
That was a good starting point Selden. I took in my car this morning to have it checked at the dealership, explained the noise, and told them what I thought it was. Told me it would be a few hours before they determined the cause, and sent me on my way in one of their loaners, a 2008 Civic.

Just called to check on the status. The AC expansion valve is not functioning properly, which is causing the noise. I was told that the part should not have failed, under any driving condition. They are going to replace it under warranty. Unfortunately, the part is going to have to be shipped from California, so it can't be taken care of until next week. But, since it is not an engine issue, I can pick up my car and bring it back in next week to have the part replaced.
Sounds like a productive day. No money spent and your problem will be fixed when the part comes in.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Yep. Very productive day so far.

The service tech also had me answer a couple questions about the loaner car that I was given, and how it handled, and whether I liked it or not.

Told the guy that it was okay, but I would rather drive my FIT. He asked me what would have made the experience better.

My answer:

It would have been better if it was a manual transmission...

Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Hahaha nice

Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Yep. Very productive day so far.

The service tech also had me answer a couple questions about the loaner car that I was given, and how it handled, and whether I liked it or not.

Told the guy that it was okay, but I would rather drive my FIT. He asked me what would have made the experience better.

My answer:

Loaner car? They do everything better in Texas.

Loaner car to replace an A/C part in the winter?