General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

It's only minor damage, but I'm clueless

Old 08-31-2010, 03:57 PM
It's only minor damage, but I'm clueless

Hiya folks,

I've been the owner of a 2009 Honda Fit (Sport) since last year, and I've been incredibly happy with it. No complaints whatsoever, and that's a fine thing especially given that it's the first car I've ever bought.

Before I go on I should mention that I am in no way a car hobbiest. Not that I don't see the appeal, I just don't want to accidentally give the impression that I share the background knowledge/enthusiasm that the rest of you undoubtedly do. In other words, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cars in general, so my question is probably going to sound pretty stupid.

Yesterday it suffered it's first real wound when I stupidly backed it up into a column in a parking garage. The right tail light cover partially broke off and the corresponding area on the bumper is dented/scratched, etc.

The nearest body shop is a decent drive away, and I need the car to commute to work. I read online that it's a simple matter to replace the tail light cover myself, but I don't know where to begin looking for where to purchase a replacement cover. So far all I've found are entire tail light modules which cost $100+.

Is it indeed as cheap and easy to replace the cover myself as I've been led to believe? Or am I better off bringing the whole thing to a body shop and trying to find a way to somehow work around my lack of mobility while they probably take their sweet time to fix it?

Again, I'm sorry to contribute a helplessly noobie question to your forum for enthusiasts, but if anyone could offer me a quick tip I'd be very greatful. I don't really have anyone else that I can ask about this stuff.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
There are do it yourself threads here that you can do a search to find that will show and tell you all you will need to know to change out the tail light yourself... I have never had to even change a bulb in my tail lights yet but I have only had my car since July 2006.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Ok, thanks for that. I went ahead and posted in the Interior & Exterior illumination thread. Hopefully I can find out where to get a new cover there. The rest of the light, including the bulb, is fine.

Any idea on how long it might take a body shop to do it and/or how much they would charge?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
You will have to get a whole new light unit. They don't sell just the cover because they are sealed units in order to prevent water from getting in.

You can find them on ebay pretty cheap...check there. Might be cheaper to even get a set of "depo lights" (search for that term)

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
The tail lights are a one piece unit so the whole thing will need to be replaced... Body shop labor rates vary a lot and base coat clear coat paint that is being used these days is very expensive... There are a lot of people that have learned to work on their Fits since I have been on this forum so you might consider doing the tail light yourself and put some money into some tools because they will pay for themselves in short time if the bug bites you and it just might.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Also take care that the bulbs/sockets aren't exposed to too much water in the event of rain. If you can't keep the water out of the taillight assembly you may blow a fuse when stopping in the wet. Check also the classified ads on here, there are usually a few odd tailights for sale for relatively cheap, compared to going to your dealer and paying an arm and a leg.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you buy the factory lamp chances are it will come with illustrated instructions. the service guy can also show you how it's done.

Genuine Honda Accessories at Discount Prices - Honda Product Information, Videos and News is a good place to buy parts online.

about the bumper, that you will need to get professionally fixed.
GL with the repairs!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
Some pics of my TW getting JDM tails. Easy install.

If the dents are not severe heck just touch them up with a can of spray paint.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ght-oem-6.html