General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Smooth Upshifting Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Romulus
Kenchan, thanks. So your holding the throttle at 4K before you even begin clutch release? Guess I should practice this at lower rpms.
yah, it's not really a 'hold' but i do rev up to 4K+ and engage the clutch. if you engage too quickly (dump the clutch) you'll either spin the wheels or bog depending on your tires. just need to get the right feel.

and yes, the car makes torque up high so you need decent RPM to get the car to launch. im not talking drag racing but im talking when you need to get the car going quickly from a stand still.

i suggest you try different RPM's and familiarize... you never know when you might need it to avoid an accident, watever.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
I always try to get the car moving some and when the clutch is close to being fully engaged I will put the throttle down all the way.... I really hate to put undue stress on the drive train by taking off hard from a dead stop but with the slow response of the drive by wire throttle you have to press on the gas pedal sooner to get some revs up than on other cars.... If a person has never driven a manual shift car before they should adapt to the slower throttle response more easily than they would a faster responding throttle and a person that is used to a faster throttle is more likely to have problems adjusting to the slower throttle at first, I know I did.... It seemed like I sat at a lot of intersections for a long time waiting for a lull in traffic before I would chance moving forward.... I sure don't have that problem anymore unless my tires aren't getting traction.... Be patient Romulus and you will figure it out.... As KC stresses, concentrate on being smooth but realize that a small engine has to rev freely and doesn't begin to pull very hard until you are over 3000 RPM and revving to 6000 RPM from time to time is going to be necessary to get on freeways or reach the speed limit when exiting a parking lot or an intersection that has no signal light and merging into moving traffic.... Believe it or not I drive very carefully and sometimes being careful means accelerating faster than I really want to.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i pretty much redline my car during each drive.

dont be scared to rev high. my downshifts are usually over 4k

Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Some kind of super special troll of sorts has started posting on 5 threads in 4 minutes.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Way smoother, not way better

Originally Posted by Romulus
After 4 mos. driving my 2010 Fit, I have finally achieved smooth upshifting. I think my problem before was that I was trying to make the release of the clutch one smooth motion. What I do now is quickly bring the clutch up to the friction point but then I work slowly thru the fp being sensitive to the engine. Way smoother!!!
The more you keep the clutch at the friction point, the more wear you put on clutch friction plate and the sooner you will be replacing it. Truckers don't even bother with the clutch except from a complete stop. They watch the tach and bring the shifter into gear when the RPM is a perfect match to the speed of the vehicle, without pressing the clutch! With your Fit, you should wait for the RPM to drop a bit before releasing the clutch, then you can release it in one motion and not wear out the friction plate.