General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why you buy the Honda Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
I chose Honda because it has a long happy history with my family. For me in 2009, the Fit won me over because it's a hatchback, a roomy interior for its class, was rated to get good gas mileage and...it's a small car--I have a soft spot for small cars.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 AM
I started my Fit journey about a year ago by Googling “fold flat seats” – I was looking for a car that I could nap in comfortably.

I had never heard of the Fit; but when I saw it I was pretty sold based on the specifications online. It took a visit to the local auto show before I saw one in real life. The Fit was at the top of a very short list. I was climbing around in the Fit acting like a sales person to others… “look at these magic seats!!” The rest is history.

This is only my second car, but I completely love it. It has been great this last 9000 miles, four friends and I fit in it great for shopping trips, sleeping is really comfy with a self-inflating camping mat, awesome cargo capabilities; I call mine “CarTruck.”

Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Best car for my budget..

Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
My wife told me to

Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM
After building a high performance Lexus and dealing with the pains of maintanance on it I wanted something reliable that would'nt cost a lot to fill up. At first I wanted a hybrid like the first gen insight to sup up just for fun. Then I started considering other small cars like Yaris because I didn't want 4 doors, but it had to be a hatchback. I couldn't find any Civic SI hatchbacks because apparently everyone who bought one wants to keep it. I always liked the Fit but wasn't sure if it was for me until I saw a good deal for a used one in my area with less than 40k miles on it. Stopped by to check it out, didn't even test drive it and came home with it that night. Now I'm going to modify this like I have every other vehicle I have owned and will one day pass it along to my son for his first car (after I'm done having fun with it)

Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Gas saver

Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Best value, style and fun for the money!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Like pretty much everyone else here, I came to the conclusion that the Fit Sport MT was the best combination of interior space, reliability, fuel economy, driving dynamics, styling, and just overall value. The years of consistently high ratings in all the major car mags and the fact that it's probably the best spiritual incarnation of the original Honda philosophy make it even more awesome!

After 10 years of driving and sharing a 5th gen Prelude SH with my wife as our only car, it was time for a second more pragmatic vehicle that was more comfortable and didn't drink 93 octane. I'm no longer a bachelor living in a downtown top floor apartment and my days of modding and hooning my car are largely over. As a home owner that needs to haul bags of mulch, crap from Ikea, and 17' sea kayak on the weekends, the Fit really works for us.

For about half a year we researched and test drove other competitors and the Fit didn't even make our short list solely because my wife hated the road noise. We came close to buying either an SX4 hatch, Matrix Xrs, and almost signed papers for a fully optioned used Xb, but then we learned about the quieter 2012 Fit. We tested it and fell in love. Since used cars are holding their value so well right now it made sense to just spend a tad more for a brand new car. We've had our silver mt Fit for 3 weeks now and love it!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Can someone honestly comment on the comfort of the seats for long distances?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
The seats aren't too bad with long sheepskin covers and the stock suspension,... I am just starting to price cars that will be more comfortable on 5 or 6 hour drives but mainly because my car is a pretty intense after about 3 hours.... I was wishing that a car similar to the 1980s VW Rabbit would be marketed for years and when I read about the Fit I figured that it was close enough... I was fortunate to get a GD-3 in 2006 and could hardly wait for the Kraft Werks supercharger kit and then the high boost upgrade to add some power to it... It is a wild little car now and a continuous project that I am constantly doing thing to..

Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITmint
We make the 10 hour trip to my parents a few times a year and I would say they are just OK. Like you can do it, but they are not the best. They do not have any form of lumbar adjustment and are fairly hard, but the shape of them is decent. I don't think there are any much better in this segment of car. If your main purpose is long distance highway driving, I wouldn't be shopping the economy car segment. I would be looking for a used, low mile Buick with the 3.8 v6. They are very comfy, hold up well, and still get around 26mpg on the highway.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
I should add that it also depends on what you call long distances. Some people think a 3 or 4 hour car ride is a long distance. Fot that, the Fit is fine. It's when you are talking 8+ hours that the seats begin to wear on you. For us we have one set of parents 9 hours North and one set 10 hours South, so our trips are long distance.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Quite honestly, it depends on your size/weight relative to the size of the seat. I am 5'8.5" tall and I weigh about 165. For me, the seats are comfortable. The longest trip I have taken in the Fit was 4 hours. The seat was fine. They are firm, and the leg length is just about right for me. Of course as I lose weight I anticipate the seat will be more comfortable.

For a larger/taller person, it just depends. And I think it varies with the earlier models - the 2009s and up may have different seats.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
We make the 10 hour trip to my parents a few times a year and I would say they are just OK. Like you can do it, but they are not the best. They do not have any form of lumbar adjustment and are fairly hard, but the shape of them is decent. I don't think there are any much better in this segment of car. If your main purpose is long distance highway driving, I wouldn't be shopping the economy car segment. I would be looking for a used, low mile Buick with the 3.8 v6. They are very comfy, hold up well, and still get around 26mpg on the highway.
I agree with this advice. Best car I ever drove long distance was a big old Olds '98. The back seat was like a mile from the front so the kids' noise didn't even other us, that thing cruised like a big ship. And it had bench seats so hubby and I could cuddle if we wanted..

Only problem is a lot of these cash cars got mashed into smithereens during Cash for Clunkers. My ASS they were clunkers!! They were beautiful pieces of Americana. A lot of them still live on in Cuba.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
that's kind of a bust to hear. I make 6hr trips to az a few times a year and want something fun, good mpg, and comfortable. The seats in my evo are supportive and long trips are actually pretty comfortable. But 23mpg highway on 91oct is a ton of fun but spendy haha. I drove a yaris out there once and it was the most uncomfortable drive I've ever had. But that 32mpg...crazy compared to what I'm used to

Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
What kind of Evo do you have? I have a IX SE myself.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM
WW Evo IX Gsr...bought it with 4 miles on it and plan to keep it, but something other than my bike for good mpg would be nice.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
that's kind of a bust to hear. I make 6hr trips to az a few times a year and want something fun, good mpg, and comfortable. The seats in my evo are supportive and long trips are actually pretty comfortable. But 23mpg highway on 91oct is a ton of fun but spendy haha. I drove a yaris out there once and it was the most uncomfortable drive I've ever had. But that 32mpg...crazy compared to what I'm used to
The Yaris is a true POS. Fit is much better than that. I get that 31-32 mpg on the highway alone, never in the city, I have no idea how people actually squeeze that much mileage out of this car.

How big/tall are you? If you are average, you'll be fine.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately, at a little over 6ft 235lbs, im not who the japanese intended to drive their cars lol

Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Chose it for all the awards it has won also the reliable history of the car before coming to the U.S. I'm still in love with the car, but the new 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo is grabbing my interest.

Quick Reply: Why you buy the Honda Fit?