General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Roof Rack Help Needed Thule permanent Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Roof Rack Help Needed Thule permanent Mount

Just received my thule rack kit for my 2008 fit sport. I went with the four feet (3114)that permanently mount to the roof. Thinking it would be easier to put the rack on and off as needed, leaving the low profile base attached when not in use

The instructions state to mount them 27" apart and 27"side to side. It's a very small foot print. doesn't look right. Small flare nuts holding into the thin sheet metal, against the pressure of wind up-lift at highway speeds, seems like a disaster waiting to happen

Has anyone else attached these in this way? Maybe the track would be better, 8 flare nut attachments per side

Or what about INNO, Yakima Thule or other temporary mounted base racks. Primary use, surfboards at highway speeds

What's the best way to go? any advice is appreciated. Different vehicle perhaps...

Last edited by Jsmallberries; 05-19-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
On the permanent mount question, there have been a couple of threads either here or the GE forum where people have installed landing pads on the Fit roof. I remember one person mounted pads inboard of the rain gutters, and one mounted something right through the rubber rain gutter strip. I think somebody may have mounted the longer rails too. You'll have to do a little searching to find those threads.

On other racks with temporary mounts, I think they're really solid. Concerns are mostly denting or scratching the roof. I have an Inno rack and like it. I've posted some details about the Inno - a search on my user name plus "roof" or "rack" should find those.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Ultrawolf,

With the INNO, how long to take them on and off once you've initially set them?
I might just go with the INNO after all. thanks for your reply

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jsmallberries
Ultrawolf,

With the INNO, how long to take them on and off once you've initially set them?
I might just go with the INNO after all. thanks for your reply
It only takes five minutes or so. A few specific things I do:
  • Mounting clamp locations are marked with a magic marker dot in each door frame
  • The load bars are also marked with white paint lines to quickly locate the feet at the correct width
  • I keep the rubber mounting pads clean and sealed up in a zip lock bag when not in use
  • I tighten each side a little at a time, going back and forth from one side the other. I think that helps the feet seat better.
  • I clean the mounting spots on the roof with a mild spray cleaner and a clean microfiber towel before installing.
  • I err on the side of not over-tightening, but that means I sometimes have to snug up the clamps after I've carried the load (e.g., kayak) for a mile or two.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I got a thule 1312 foot kit. Temporary mount. Absolutely love it. Its really solid and easy to install, remove. Carry 2 kayaks with it all the time