General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Get a 2013 Fit or wait and see 2014 models first?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Get a 2013 Fit or wait and see 2014 models first?

I could use a new car, not an absolute must, decided that I want a 2013 Fit Sport AT. Now I see that the car is changing entirely for 2014. Part of me doesn't like the idea of buying a Fit today when it will change completely next model year. But there are plusses and minuses depending on how you view it.

What are others thinking about this situation, go with the 2013 and don't look back. Or wait until photos appear for the 2014 and wait and see first?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
i went with the 2013. 2014 is a long way away, though if you have a newer car than my other one (16 years old) than you can wait longer.

but i have heard in the past that 1st year models of a new generation are more likely to have issues, due to being the first phase of a redesign. successive years allow the designers and engineers to fix problems and respond to feedback and finetune things.

maybe thats not the case with honda though.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I suppose it comes down to the fact that I like the current Fit design. Not excited about a Fit Crossover. So I need to decide if I'm ok with buying the last year a car is made or not.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
If you have TIME to wait, I definitely would. A few reasons:

If you LIKE the new model then it will be available.
If you DON'T like the new model, you can buy the older at a lower price. (Unless they clear out inventory in advance, which is a risk I admit).

Does anyone know for certain where the 2014 Fit is going to be assembled? I hear they will all ship with a small bottle of tequila in the glovebox.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
I would wait if you do not need a car immediately. The 2014 will be a full redesign along with the Earth Dreams Technology engine probably more HP and MPG and CVT. The 2014 should debut prior to the final run of the 2013 Fit. I am hoping for a SI version.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM
CVT? Ew. Guess I better start learning how to drive stick.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Found this

2014 Honda Fit (Jazz)

We should expect a slightly larger and bolder model in the next year or so. This illustration seems to point out that they might be interested in an Si version. In addition to the much longer model that is sold in Japan and electric version. Honda is also rumored to be interested in a Fit SUV (that will fill in the slot that once occupied the bigger and uglier Element SUV for US customers).

Both the US Fit and future SUV (maybe the size of a Fiat 500L) will be made in Mexico.
Saturday, July 21, 2012 http://www.woodyscarsite.com/2012/07...-fit-jazz.html

Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 PM
The CVT in the Subaru Impreza gets high marks so while I was once opposed to them I no longer am.

Those pix are kind of neat but also very futuristic. Hmm.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
I am sure there will be a lot drawings before the actual vehicle comes out. I am surprise they say it will be shown at the 2013 Toyko autoshow which is not until November of 2013.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 PM
The new engine technology could be very interesting with the 2014 model too, though I have a feeling that the aerodynamics of a car the size of the Fit is a bigger factor to getting noticeably better mpg.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully not heavier.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
I'm going to put on my prediction hat now! These are based on the Fit's current market positioning, Honda's recent updates of other products, my knowledge of Honda history and corporate philosophy, and what's been announced so far.

1. Just like now, the Fit will be available in the following flavors: "Regular" hatchback, a sedan, and a larger Fit shuttle or mini-van. Some of these will be available only in certain markets - the NA market has little appetite for the sedan or van.
2. An additional variant will be a raised "CUV" body style, designed primarily for the American market. This will incorporate raised suspension and unique "rugged" styling; as a lifestyle vehicle the pricing on this will be a bit more aggressive than the hatchback. A simple Real-Time 4WD system will be available on this model and (in non-NA markets) maybe on the hatchback too, although potentially not with the MT in the US.
3. Drivetrain options will be varied worldwide and will include small and large gas and diesel options. A PHEV variant will be designed with limited market availability. NA will have one gas engine only. So same as always, here
4. What WILL change in the drivetrain is that the gas engine will get direct injection; given they've invested in designing the tech into the Accord, expect it to spread through the lineup. Expect more peak power and better fuel economy, but little change to everyday driveability. 5MT will continue as a transmission option, but the US will now get a CVT instead of an auto. But it's not the end of the world: with the Accord Honda has demonstrated it knows how it wants to tune the CVT for driveability, and despite lots of enthusiast howling, most will be forced to admit that the CVT actually drives just great.
4.1. The car will be slightly heavier to meet new US crash tests, but not notably so. It might actually be slightly shorter outside, but will have slightly increased interior room. The auto option will hit 40mpg highway, of course; the engine will only turn 2000 rpm at a level 70mph.
5. In the US, the base/sport trim lineup isn't going away - in fact the existence of a "sport" model may spread from the Fit to the rest of Honda's lineup. Potentially we could see a mid-range non-sport model or a better-equipped model added, but this is pure speculation and I somewhat doubt it - expect better infotainment options though. The Fit won't get greatly improved ride or handling - very incremental improvements only are possible given the simple setup - but expect increased sound deadening.
6. The Fit will be made in Mexico for the NA market. Reliability will be fine, but build quality will suffer slightly in the first years. Because the car will now have a decent profit margin, expect Honda to ramp up marketing and provide a lot more to dealers. Honda will market the car heavily to young people, but in practice buyers will continue to be budget-minded young families, parking-conscious old-city dwellers (Boston, NY, Philly etc) and older folks.
7. We haven't heard any talk of an larger-engine "Si" model so far and I think the market is too small for it, and confined to the US in any case. You can wish for this, but I'm not going to make a prediction here

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
If you can wait a bit, personally I would wait till late spring or summer of next year. More details will be out on the new car so you can make a more informed decision and they will be clearing out the old model so you might be able to get a deal like a previous poster said.

The current Fit is in its 5th year for this generation so most of the little quirks are probably ironed out, I am usually wary of 1st year models for a new generation. Ultimately the decision is yours but from personal experience you really can't go too wrong with a small Honda. Even if you get one and end up not liking it in a year or two, it holds its value well and you could probably sell it without taking a big hit in depreciation.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuji's
7. We haven't heard any talk of an larger-engine "Si" model so far and I think the market is too small for it, and confined to the US in any case. You can wish for this, but I'm not going to make a prediction here
This will probably be the case, Honda seems to be following Toyota's strategy sell conservative reliable products with no need for niche vehicles. Does not seem to be hurting either company. I would be happy with a bump in HP to 130 and 40 highway MPG. Maybe rear disc if offer in the Mexico market but drums seem to be the standard for subcompacts.

With the possibility of major upgrades on the 2014 this has me thinking about holding off on spending a lot on mods on my 2012 until Honda starts releasing pictures and specs on the 2014.

Last edited by cjecpa; 09-10-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
I think the next model Fit might look something close to this. The current GE Fit has been a big success for Honda globally and it might be difficult to make a drastic makeover. Honda has to retain its Fit concept of small on the outside and big and versatile on the inside. The next model may grow just ever so slightly, but I think they will refine some areas such as interior materials and maybe a new interior layout, newer technology like HondaLink, the new engine, maybe rear disc brakes and rear independent suspension, LED tails and maybe projector headlights? Be the first to take the step forward to set the standard? All those upgrades will bump up the price no doubt, but it'll still be worth it.

The picture above uses headlights from a CRZ which I could see them using it. The front quarter window is still the same as the current GE, and the use of better lines. I don't know when this picture was released and I know that it's a drawing. But as I said in the beginning the next gen may look relatively close to the current GE on the outside. It's all a speculation now, maybe there be a performance model....maybe not, who knows. /shrug.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
thought the '14s are going to be made in mexico?

while those renderings look pretty good, real cars never turn out like that so just get the proven reliablity GE of today. even search for '12's.