General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Unusual Noise When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:55 PM
yup me too. although my son drives the car and never hears it. says its the engine winding down. yeah ok.

we had lots of rain up here and i had to drive through pretty high water recently. have to wonder if that was what caused it. its a scary noise when i brake hard. when i least expect it and when it feels like it.

the book says ABS makes noise occasionly. well is that the noise they are talking about?

its going in next week for lots of other problems. this is just one.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I have that noise also... Like a spring stretching sound...
Sometimes, I feel it on the brake pedal. It's not the ABS but
sound like that. It always happen when I brake and hit a small
bump or road imperfection... Sometimes, the pedal feel like there
is 2 compression stages (you press the pedal, the car slow, the pedal
compress a bit more by itself, without giving more pressure)... At
first I tought it was the master cylinder but now I'm shure it's not
that...

My 2 cents,
Philippe.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm...

Mine does something similar - usually when turning and braking (only going between 5-15 MPH tops...)
The ABS (on a dirt road) is pretty loud... and the whole car shakes, not just the foot pedal...
And it feels VERY similar to what the car's doing at that one turn (it's the bottom of the hill turning to go up to the house...)

It doesn't seem like I'm going fast enough or branking nearly hard enough for the abs to be kicking in... but it is... (or something else is making the car do something VERY weird...)

Old 08-17-2006, 06:22 PM
the ABS triggering will feel like a rapid thumping click. You'll feel it in the brake pedal. Nothing to worry about unless it starts doing it under light or moderate braking.

Felt that a few times in my Insight when I tried to brake a little hard. Not panic stop hard, but 'oops, I misjudged' hard.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
If you're hearing unusual noises from around your wheels (which may or may not be associated with braking), check to see if any rocks or gravel have become lodged behind the brake dust shield, or if the brake dust shield has become bent, and is now rubbing against the wheel.

Every Honda Civic I've ever had, and at least one other Fit owner that I know of, have had this issue with the brake dust shields.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by phil_qc
Ok, I have that noise also... Like a spring stretching sound...
Sometimes, I feel it on the brake pedal. It's not the ABS but
sound like that. It always happen when I brake and hit a small
bump or road imperfection... Sometimes, the pedal feel like there
is 2 compression stages (you press the pedal, the car slow, the pedal
compress a bit more by itself, without giving more pressure)... At
first I tought it was the master cylinder but now I'm shure it's not
that...

My 2 cents,
Philippe.
I started this thread (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...depressed.html) without noticing the topic was covered here. I'm having the exact same issue as you phil. did you find any answer yet?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BunnyHopper1981
Hello Fellowship of the Fit,

I have been experiencing something odd when braking. It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe once a day. Every so often, when I brake slightly abruptly, I hear a fast paced thumping/knocking sound coming from underneath the vehicle. I read that braking hard should be avoided during break-in period, but I have over 4000 miles on it already, and this sound hasn't gone away. I don't know if it's the rear drum brakes which causes this sound, or whether it's the abrupt shifting of gears. I experience this when driving in automatic. Does anyone else have this problem? I had a Civic for 3 years, and never heard such a sound before. What is this bloody noise I hear???
This is difficult without actually hearing the noise. Here is a possibility not mentioned. Do you experience the noise in sport mode as well?
Does it happen shortly after starting up or after driving several miles with prior braking. One of the things we have found, not with Fits, is rust on the disc or drum that has to 'ground' off by the caliper pads. It happens on a braking soon after start-up. Next time you startup take a look at your front disc to see if it has real rust spots that are dark yellow or orange. These are a possibility to cause the rough rubbing sounds as the rust is ground off. The longer your Fit sets prior to starting and especially if there is high humidity there will be more rust. If that is the case its more an annoyance than problem but you still ouight to have your mechanic take a look. If its the drum you have no way to see; all you can do is have someone listen as you drive by with noise and see where its coming from.
good luck.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Fit Thumping Sound When Braking

I have a 2007 Fit Sport with 308,000 km. Around 280,000 km we could start periodically hearing a thumping noise when braking at as the car gets close to the stopping point. It seems to be coming from the front end. We've had 3 different shops (including two Honda dealers) look at it, replaced the rotors but this still occurs.

Has anyone had this problem and effectively solved it?

Great little car!