General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

lowering spring quick question...

Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 PM
lowering spring quick question...

just a quick question guys...i just got my fit 2 weeks ago and im plannin to get some sportlines would it still be a good idea since the car has 72k+ miles on it already...considering it still sits on oem strut/shocks?..if not,i would rather go save up for some coils...thanks in advance!..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
well, after reading tons of threads bout springs...most of them still rockin those stock struts/shocks...so i need some inputs..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM
At 72K im sure those oem struts are pretty beat already, putting in aftermarkets springs will prolly just add a nail to the coffin. Id save a little extra and buy yourself a set of nice coilovers since buying enw springs and shocks will come pretty close to the cost of entry level coilovers.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
At 72K im sure those oem struts are pretty beat already, putting in aftermarkets springs will prolly just add a nail to the coffin. Id save a little extra and buy yourself a set of nice coilovers since buying enw springs and shocks will come pretty close to the cost of entry level coilovers.
true!...and when i was shopping for springs and struts/shocks price are really close to some good brands of coils..what i dont know is bout the ride tho..afaik coils are way stiffer than srpings...im stil searchin for some coils with at least have some comfortble ride..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
OP, where are you at in CA? There are several local Fit clubs and even FB groups you may want to look into

Also, do you have a GD('07-'08 or a GE ('09-Current) ?

The suspension opportunities available for both are rather different...

Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM
yes,im from CA. and i drive 2008 honda fit sport which i just got 2 weeks ago so im basically new here..ok thanks ima gonna look for other club or groups.. so far, this is the only club/group im in and im gettin a lot of info already which helps a lot..

Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 AM
hi .. i got TW 2010 fit base from India.. wanting to lower it around 1.5 inch . i dont drive much and my car has done 12k miles / 20k kms in 3 years. As my country has alot of potholes i am very careful over them.. so my question is can i go with lowering springs with stock shocks ?.. can stock dampers take the stress for 3 more years ? i know i will kill their life but cost of coilovers i m getting is 1/6 the cost of my car.. honda fit is a rare car in India so buying a used coilover kit is almost impossible..
i m getting H and R springs for 470 $ shipped from tirerack.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
at 72k miles, i would get new dampers if replacing the springs.

i suggest going with swifts. if you need a lower ride than swifts, probably better just to get coilovers.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM
I would forget getting just springs and shell out for coilovers.

Suspension has a habit of degrading slow enough that you dont notice until you happen to drive a car equipped similar to yours.

Considering money involved if you have to have someone install for you, coilovers actually are easier as you wont have to break out the spring compressor at all!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
at 72k miles, i would get new dampers if replacing the springs.

i suggest going with swifts. if you need a lower ride than swifts, probably better just to get coilovers.
this......

Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
I would forget getting just springs and shell out for coilovers.

Suspension has a habit of degrading slow enough that you dont notice until you happen to drive a car equipped similar to yours.

Considering money involved if you have to have someone install for you, coilovers actually are easier as you wont have to break out the spring compressor at all!
hummmm.... spring compressor is no big deal. you can even rent one if you cant shell out the $20 or watever they cost at your local autoparts store. i do my install in my garage at home. there's really nothing to the fit's suspension. it's a rediculously simple design. also, you still need to use the stock mounts on your coilovers most likely (fronts) ...

unlike other lowering springs ive tried on other cars TEIN, H&R, Prokit, etc. the Swifts actually match the stock damp rate very well. no need for anything else.