General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Engine Ticks and Clatters - Purge Control Solenoid Valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Engine Ticks and Clatters - Purge Control Solenoid Valve

Has anyone else experienced this:

Ticking 2007 Honda Fit Engine - purge control solenoid valve - YouTube

An FYI for anyone with a similar oddity going on in their Hondas, this is a ticking noise from the engine bay of a 2007 Honda Fit. After some googling, I've discovered that this ticking noise from the purge control solenoid is a rather common occurrence among newer generation Honda owners, and evidently nothing to cause alarm. Like the sewing machine valve train, I'll mark it up as another Honda idiosyncrasy. Being a new owner to this vehicle with 114K miles, I have yet to pinpoint the circumstances surrounding the tick. I'll try to keep this post updated as information becomes available. More information can be found here: Engine tick noise ANSWERED - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Last edited by wzard999; 12-02-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Banned
Normal injector clatter been covered in a bunch of old posts when the Fit first came out.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
I think because of where the injectors are is why you hear it so loud. Don't take my word on it but just an idea.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
it is funny; you can hear that same ticking sound in the second video when the camera pans over to the same area where the first video takes us (solenoid?) My Fit sounds more like the second video, although I have never noticed the ticking. Now that you pointed it out, I'll check it out this afternoon when the sun comes up and warms the air a bit.
My Corolla engine in my Vibe is also quite loud. I'll just bury my head in the sand, turn 80's on 8 as loud as I can in the car, and hope it will all be fine since the VVTI in the Vibe does not allow for valve adjustments.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Normal injector clatter been covered in a bunch of old posts when the Fit first came out.
I've been milling through so many posts on this noise issue that I couldn't even begin to count them. Figured it was nigh time to document with some video on my own and encourage anyone else to document as well. Even my old Karmann Ghia was quieter than this.

Last edited by wzard999; 12-02-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM
My fit is somewhere between the first and second but 2 different honda dealers found nothing wrong so it can diesel all it wants.

Id love to know because it does sound like something horrible is going on but its always a constant sound and sounds the same.

142k and going strong

Old 11-24-2013, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
OK, I'm giving you a timeout. As we jersey boys say: forgetaboutit!!!!
Assuming you didn't over pay for the car a year ago, drive the thing until it smokes, burns, and overturns. I have similar noises in my "Toyota" Vibe, and I have no intension on doing anything about it until the pistons come launching out of their silo. Our Fits are not Lincoln Continentals. They are noisy little local commuters with sewing machine engines. As I have done with my Vibe, listen to the words of 80's rock group Autograph: "Turn up the Radio"

"Day in, day out, all week long, things go better with Fit."

....man, I am so jamming this song on my computer as I write this..............

Last edited by BurntZ; 11-24-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by BurntZ
OK, I'm giving you a timeout. As we jersey boys say: forgetaboutit!!!!
Assuming you didn't over pay for the car a year ago, drive the thing until it smokes, burns, and overturns. I have similar noises in my "Toyota" Vibe, and I have no intension on doing anything about it until the pistons come launching out of their silo. Our Fits are not Lincoln Continentals. They are noisy little local commuters with sewing machine engines. As I have done with my Vibe, listen to the words of 80's rock group Autograph: "Turn up the Radio"

"Day in, day out, all week long, things go better with Fit."

....man, I am so jamming this song on my computer as I write this..............
Yeah, it'd sure be simple to "fuhgedaboutit" once it's someone else's problem. Wanna buy? Brand-spankin new tires, fresh motor oil, fresh tranny oil, fresh coolant, new NGK plugs, valve lash spec'd, pretty much everything regarding tune-up completed as soon as I took delivery. Just that gawdawful clatter.