General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Base vs Sport, which is best & why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Question spoiler for Base 2013?

I just purchased a 2013 base and am fine without the sport package. The only thing I might like is the little rear spoiler over the back window. Can we add one to the base model and is it difficult? It's not on the Honda website that I checked out.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 AM
I got a base model in the end. Don't get me wrong, I wanted a sport model and thought it was worth the extra money. That being said, this car is being used for two things: my commuter car for work for the next 10 years at least, and a family car to take trips in. The sport model doesn't really give any advantage to those two uses, and with a wedding coming up in a couple of months, I decided it would be better overall to save the ~$1500 it would've taken to get a sport. Plus I thought the base had a smoother ride without the rear sway bar in the back and the smaller tires, which made it more practical for longer trips or with people in the back.

As for adding a spoiler, I'd read it would require drilling into the hatch to bolt it on and it can be done pretty easily if you know what you're doing or want to have a shop do it. Not something I plan on doing myself though until out of warranty.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:53 PM
The spoiler is good for collecting road dirt under the lip and the rear window. And maybe a bit less wind noise. But cruise control...that is another thing altogether.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 PM
The 13 base model has cruise control.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
I've noticed that the Fit Base with m/t also has cruise control. Thought it was interesting, as normally I only see cruise on auto trans.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
cruise control

Standard on base models for 2013?
Smart.
My 2008, manual 5-speed, was the Sport model, the base of that did not have cruise control.

Notice I said was. A collision on the freeway frontage road, at night, not well lighted, eliminated my eco-runner.

Maybe, kinda looking for another.
16 mpg from the pickup is a bit much.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
When I first started looking at Fits and getting insurance quotes I realized the sport it cheaper to insure then the base, and the Navi model (for 09) was even cheaper to insure because of stability control. The Sport also drives noticeably better in my experiences, more so at higher speeds due to the anti roll bar and bigger wheels.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Why would the Sport be cheaper than the Base to insure? Usually the insurance companies say "Sport" as in "sports car" and jack up the price. Gotta check on that.....

Old 01-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Nothing to with name. Rather, claims.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Good point about waiting until the warranty expires..!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
For your questions on ride quality, you should go and spend some time test driving, and see what you think. Be sure to try to drive on some bumps like the lane separators as well as do some slaloms/swerving to get a little bit of a feel for it. If the salesman is driving with you, be sure to let him know what you're doing before you start weaving all over.

Insurance question, I don't know, but i doubt there is much of a difference mainly because it's mainly the cost of the cars are about the same. Shouldn't be too hard to run it through and get the quotes though.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM
The reason for the insurance being less was because in 09 at least there are more safety features and the bigger wheels/anti roll bar make it safer to drive. On top of all of that the Sport Navi also has stability control makes it a lot more "safe". The "Sport" badging with the Honda Fit is more of a trim level and only improves handling, it is not a "sport package" that adds performance like with the Accord Sport. Because of this my insurance company does not consider it a "sports car" or a "sporty car" and only factor in the extra safety features which to them out weigh the extra value of the car.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I purchased a base 2013 and about the only option I wish it had was the spoiler. But that is easily fixable.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Base Wins

Bought a used 2013 Base yesterday, gray with gray interior, 5 M/T. Has 3490 miles on it. Had never driven a Fit before and was surprised at how "peppy" it is. Have to get used to driving a stick again afer some years with auto trans. It is really fun to drive. We bought the car at a dealer way over on the east side of Phoenix area (Mesa), so had a long ride back to our place.

Steering took a bit to get used to - just a slight movement of the steering wheel and the car moves. Way different than my old truck. Noted that while on the freeway, I slowed to 45 MPH while in heavy traffic, and left the trans in 5th, and it just picked right up w/o downshifting. Was suprised it could do that.

Car really takes off in 1st gear. Found that best shifts are when I shift a bit fast. When I shift slow, noticed that the engine revs stay up a bit before coming down.

Have only had car 2 days, so am getting used to it. Am so glad I bought this car! Great little car. My second Honda; first one was an '86 Civic Si hatch 5 M/T that was my all time fav. Hmmmm, maybe Fit is the new all time fav.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by siguy
I wonder how many folks go by the computer; ie: it says they are getting 40 MPG and they don't check what the real mileage is. I fill up until the nozzle shuts off and then stop. Next fill up, same thing, just to where nozzle shuts off. Then I do the MPG the hard way, divide miles driven by gallons and that is giving me a real world MPG.
This is the TRUE way to check your mileage.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:45 PM
But not as accurate as a computer over one interval because you can't be sure you filled it to the exact same point.