General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

BARF, In the Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 10:11 PM
BARF, In the Car

Yes, it happened. My youngest barfed in the car. She was not feeling well when we went to a wedding party. She asked to sleep in the car and soon left afterwards. When almost getting home, in a panic she woke up saying she is going to throw up. My wife tried to find something and I tried to pit stop........NOPE.

Well it was all over the back seat(drivers) and rubber floor mats. Immediately when we got home began to shop vac it and and spent a good hour going through all crevasses. I used a light surface cleaner and thankfully I got the leather seats which did not soak in other than in the thread areas.

My fear was for the material to penetrate and smell to linger. Next morning I continue cleaning even into the seatbelt locks and under carpet....yeah it was bad.

I used Oder Eliminator (leather) with Smoke Out and some light bleach cleaner carefully for seatbelt locks and it has done a significant difference in cleaning and smell. Also added leather cleaner to seats.

Yet I can still smell hints of it when car gets hot. I'm hoping over time it will go away and regain the new car smell. It's only been a 3 weeks since purchase.

Any additional ideas of what else I can add for odor elimination? Cheers.

Last edited by atvfit16; 03-07-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
There is a pet product called "zero odor" that has worked for me for everything from mildew smell to ferret poop. It will not add any smell but it destroys all smells. They make 3 kinds but the odor eliminator works the best. I get it on amazon. I was sold when I worked in a pet store & a rep sprayed a fresh stinky pile of kitten poo & I couldn't tell it was inches from my face with my eyes closed. I will admit, it's not the best cleaner but it deactivates odors & they don't return. Also, I feel sympathy because I did this to my parents about 34 years ago & my mom regularly brings it up. Good luck

Old 03-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Before my spinalcord injury, I was a baggage handler. If we had a passenger vomit on the seat, the flight attendant was told to shake coffee over it. It absorbed most of the smell. Try shaking coffee over the area. This should also remind you to order the rear seat cover from honda so you can wash them. Also try pinesol too on seats. I'm so glad I never want kids. Vomit doesn't bother me but some kids I babysat in highschool pooped and the smell was so bad, my momma bought me a new car because the smell wouldn't get out. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks Guys, it seems that the smell has subsided, yet it has been below 80 degrees. Starting to get the new car smell again.