General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Let's talk nav and leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Let's talk nav and leather

buying a new car: Fit or Civic. as I understand it w/ the Fit: no navigation on the 7" touch screen unless you buy leather for 1K and nav for 2K = 3K above the EX. While you can download some nav software to the iPhone, you cannot to the android phone, and I'm not switching to an iPhone.
So, the questions are:
1. am I right about above?
2. is Honda - or someone - working on software to work w/Android?
3. is there a significant difference between in-built nav and downloaded nav?
4. how interesting or uninteresting is the leather if one is contemplating springing for leather and nav
5. what do Android people do - simply use the phone with waze or google with which to navigate?
6. if I want to listen to my Kindle over the car speakers, I have to use an audio cable but it will work, right?
7. what is meant by Civic being "Android ready" in EX?
8. for sure one wants the 7" over the 5" screen, yes? and touchscreen over knobs, yes?
beyond that, flip flopping between new Fit EX or new Civic EX.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Purchased 2016 EX-L.

1. Stick with Android Maps. Nav is very Hokey/Outdated user interface and only use on some occasions, but got a deal on the car due to negotiations. Basically got Nav $$ Removed.
2. I like the leather and heated seats. I believe that Honda puts in some real good stuff and workmanship into it. They are stiff and am going to buy a cushion soon.
3. Screen is OK/Good, but do prefer the knobs.
4. Fit or Civic? Well, never been a big fan of sedans always seem to find the hatchback with more function when hauling stuff. Plus I read that the Fit has more leg room than the civic.

I hope this helps? Cheers and GL!

Old 04-05-2016, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
atvfit16 good reply, atv. thx. I have now settled down on the FIT and not the Civic - because I had to admit I did not want a stodgy 4 door nor did I want a clumsy 2-door Coup. I want a new FIT.

As for heated seats, I live in California and we really need refrigerated seats. I might pass on the leather, use my Android for Waze and Google, wait for Honda to catch up on software development, and be happy with my backup camera.

I was gazing at those snazzy blue interior lights last night on Amazon for $35 and I see the dealer installed ones are more conservative and cost $135. I wonder if I could follow electrical hook up instructions and get the multicolored foot lamps. they are so very cool! If you're going to have a FIT, you might as well camp it up.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
I walked in the dealership wanting to buy the EX-L with navi. I was not impressed by the quality of the leather or the navigation unit.

The leather felt cheap. I would have liked the seat warmers, but I may add that myself. I did add a leather wrap for the steering wheel as well as the leather shift knob but that was less than $100

The navigation looked really old and antiquated

I'm glad I skipped the extra options and pocketed the money.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
today's the day (I think)

2Rismo2 thank you! I think I have come to the same conclusion about nav from comments here. Will use phone and enjoy backup camera. I do not care at all about heated seats. And if the leather is chintzy - well ... meh.

Today I plan to go get a white Fit EX. My extras will be the gizmo over the moon roof for heat and maybe door edge thing-ies. I don't even think I'll get a cargo cover since it has been so grand just to open the hatch to openness. I might plead with them to put in blue floor lights for free but I could be a "big girl" and install them myself by watching the YouTube and saving $100. How much is front window tinting? I have sweltered in my current FIT when the AC poops out on a long drive down the 5 in CA.

I am excited! I am so glad to find Fit Freaks again as I did in '10 and I would check it every day.

Hmmm wonder if I should wash my car for the trade in....

Old 04-06-2016, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Hop into one and try out the leather and decide on your own. If I was going to pay the extra, I better like the quality and it wasn't there for me. It felt like artificial leather.

What's the gizmo over the moon roof?

I've got an appointment for window tint to the do the whole car and a strip at the top of the windshield for $145.

I made my own cargo cover for about $30. I wasn't going to pay the $200 the dealership wanted. It removes in less than a minute if I need to move something larger and it's only about a half inch thick so it stows away easily. Click on my Sig picture to see.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
gizmo over moon roof is that wind-cuppy thing-y.

wow good price on tint - I think I'll go for a tint this time. I didn't want to be too too last time, but it DOES get hot in there with all that LA sun.

I don't see your Sig pix here! but oh dear I see mine and must remove

Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
As I mentioned in another thread, I opted for the EX for a variety of reasons. The leather seats are more care and maintenance. I wanted a manual, and the EX-L doesn't come with a manual transmission. I wanted the 7" screen (better for my aging eyes), and although a volume knob is nice, it's not a deal breaker for me, seeing as I have volume controls on the steering wheel.

Not sure why the built-in navigation is so important. As I mentioned, I already had a Garmin with lifetime map updates, so I use that. The mount fits perfectly on the triangular side window. It was a 35 year gift from my employer, so it was much cheaper than the upcharge for the built-in navigation. Even if I had to buy it, it's still a lot cheaper. I can use it in another car, and there's no data charge on my cell phone.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-06-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Neros
gizmo over moon roof is that wind-cuppy thing-y.

I don't see your Sig pix here! but oh dear I see mine and must remove
That wind deflector will probably just add more wind resistance and have a mpg penalty.

My intro thread has some pictures:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/90566-quick-intro.html

Old 04-06-2016, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
ooo never thought about wind resistance - good point. maybe if it's too hot just keep it shut. oh yes those pictures - thanks.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
I can't answer all of your questions, but I love my EX-L Nav. I bought it at the end of October so I've had it for a few months now.

I love the seats, the seat warmers (leather wrapped gear shift and steering wheel), and the navigation works extremely well.

As for audio, my car has 6 speakers and the sound is great from the radio and via Bluetooth (I have an iPhone though, so I can't comment on others).

I would definitely repurchase this trim.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
As far as your question about streaming audio from Kindle, I stream audio through Bluetooth from Amazon prime music, Pandora or music loaded directly off my phone all the time.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove an EX-L with the leather seats. They were as hard as a rock - felt like I was sitting on a brick. Not the experience I want with leather. I went with cloth seats, and they are much more comfortable for me. YMMV.