General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

3 month review of the Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:36 PM
3 month review of the Fit!

I don't post much, but I thought I would give my 3 month review of the Fit. I just recently crossed over 8,000 miles with it and did my first oil change at 7600 when the MM went to 15%. Used Mobile 1 5W-20 Syn. with mobile 1 filter.

First, I love this vehicle. I got a Vivid Blue Sport AT. I wanted a MT, but everyone knows how hard it is to find those.

Here's the good. This car is very well designed. Some actually put some thought in this car as opposed to rushing out whatever they drew up first. Little things make this car special.

I like the tight feel and quiet ride of the car. Yes, the engine is buzzy at high RPM's, but that's to be expected. I normally drive GM's, so the non-squeaky interior is amazing.

Looks wise, I have grown to love the front end more and more. The back still needs to be wider IMO, but it's a unique car that not everyone on the road is driving.

So, now is the bad. 10.8 gallon tank? Who in the world ever thought that would be cool? Plus, I have ran this thing bone dry and can only get 10.2 in it. Not a big deal. I would like to have at least 12 gallons.

Driving position. I cannot get overly comfortable in this vehicle. If the steering wheel was telescopic then everything would be okay. When the steering wheel is the right distance to me, the pedals feel like they are in my crotch. When the pedals are right, then the wheel is a mile away. This is one of my biggest gripes with the car.

Paint. Very soft. Anything scratches the hell out of it.

Headlights. Dangerously low. Can be adjusted, so nothing major there.

Power. There is none. If this car had 175 horsepower, it would be the sweetest car on the planet. 109 just aint cutting it. I live in the mountains and it's painful driving this car up a hill. Doesn't matter which mode. S or D, the results are the same. I should be able to go up any hill in 4th gear. With this car, you have to run at 5K in 3rd to get up some of our hills. This is so annoying that this would almost be a deal breaker if I was to shop again for the car. Very frustrating.

With all that being said, this was a wise purchase. I was spending 60+ bucks a week in gas and now I spend 18 or less each week. The car is safe for my wife and baby daughter. It has more room than you can imagine and has a unique look. I hope to have the same Honda reliability that everyone speaks highly of. So that's it. Nothing new from me. Everything I've mentioned has been brought up before.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I hope the 2008 american fits will have a si version. Even so, for me it'll be for bragging rights (if it gets impresive numbers) cuz to me, the fit is mileage w/o compromise. I"m impressed w/ the fit's speed. I didn't ask for it; I actually decided I want the car expecting it to be slow.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
The car itself did take some thought, but releasing it NA, I think they did rush it. With the visor mirror being on the wrong side, and where the wider seat on the rear chair is on the left when it should be on the right.

Andy

Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM
LOL...people get mad when they sit in my passenger seat, go to look in the visor, and see there is no mirror. They're like "Why don't you have a mirror here?" I'm like, "Oh...its on my side."

Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by K LoLo
LOL...people get mad when they sit in my passenger seat, go to look in the visor, and see there is no mirror. They're like "Why don't you have a mirror here?" I'm like, "Oh...its on my side."
Hah, that's my gf's main complaint about my 04 scion xb, other than the fact she doesnt like it, hehe.

I think i might go the VIP route with my xb, i'm tired of it being boring, okay yeah sorry, not trying to thread jack...

Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by K LoLo
I just bought a $3 clip-on visor mirror from Wal-Mart to shut people up about my lack of mirror, LOL. I didn't care about whether my passengers had a visor mirror or not, but they sure did. :P

I don't think it's a mistake on the manufacturer in Japan's part; it was probably a cost-cutting measure. Most cars in America have mirrors on the driver's side visor, so they probably "flipped" the order correctly for the US. I imagine it might have saved them $50 bucks to not have one on the passenger side, as well, so that's why it was left off.

Incidentally, my driver side visor mirror is covered by a CD holder, anyways, so it's useless to me. I should switch the visors, lol.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
$50? More like $5 extra cost.

Still, these problems sounds smaller to me than Infiniti's decision to sell the first-generation G35 here will the major audio and HVAC controls along the right side of the center stack--i.e. suited for right hand drive.

As for this review, I find it quite balanced for an owner review. This is definitely an engine that will feel punchier with the stick.