General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Yeah I noticed some weird brake feeling as well but only on rough roads like chikubi...our roads here in Calgary suck

Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 AM
I havent noticed either one...however, i normally have my radio turned up loud, so that may be why i dont hear the swishing noise

Old 04-15-2007, 02:46 AM
I have heard the gas tank noise also no biggie there. I also think the FIT feels weird when I hit the breaks sometimes. I figured it was just me coming from a race setup DC 5 with custom breaks.

I figured the breaking issue was 1 new pads and 2 drum rear rear breaks. I have not had drum breaks for about 5 years. So I don't know but I do understand what you say the car feels a bit scary when I have to moderately hit the breaks. It is probably me just getting use to the car since I only have had it for 3 weeks tomorrow

Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, I agree w/ rekcah, it could also be you getting used to the brakes on the car + new pads. I've had mine now for just going on a year next week, so to me a lot of that faded into the past and the car is like a pair of comfortable shoes -- it just feels right and familiar at this point now. More than likely you and it will settle into yourselves over time and things will start to smooth out and feel more natural and predictable.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by rekcah
I have heard the gas tank noise also no biggie there. I also think the FIT feels weird when I hit the breaks sometimes. I figured it was just me coming from a race setup DC 5 with custom breaks.

I figured the breaking issue was 1 new pads and 2 drum rear rear breaks. I have not had drum breaks for about 5 years. So I don't know but I do understand what you say the car feels a bit scary when I have to moderately hit the breaks. It is probably me just getting use to the car since I only have had it for 3 weeks tomorrow
race setup dc5 custom breaks?? wow... rsx owners that cant even tell the difference between breaks and brakes. shocking....

j/k.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 AM
agree with others via a brief engagment of abs on gravelly road surfaces but after a year no noticeable effect on control or abilty to stop

Old 04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
i hear this gurgling too, its def not the gas tank though because i hear it in the engine bay and i cant figure out what the hell it is

Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
I had this same gurgling after putting on a T1R intake. When you install that aftermarket intake, you disconnect a hose going to the throttle body, allowing air to get into the system. I imagine most if not all the aftermarket intakes include this step, so if you recently installed an intake that is where the gurgling is coming from. It persisted occasionally for several days and when I rechecked the coolant level it was low so I topped it off. It has not happened since. I hope this helps some of you.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 AM
I had the same problem after i installed my Fujita CAI.

I can't remember who, but someone in the forum suggested to open the radiator cap and turn the car on. Turn on your A/C and let the radiator fan go on and off a couple of times. Leave the cap off for about 3-5 minutes. This will bleed the air out of your system. You may see the air leave the radiator top as small bubbles or just see the radiator fluid level rise and fall near the neck of the radiator top.

After I did this, the sound went away for the most part. I used to hear it driving < 30mph, but now I don't hear it anymore.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Just fill it full everytime you use it. That should fix the problem

Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
With a good Maynard Ferguson CD going, you'll never hear the gas sloshing! Charlie Parker also works real well too. But I'd definitely avoid Kenny G! Rather hear the slosh than Mr. Gorelick!

Really, the slosh sound is barely noticable in a quiet garage with the audio turned off.

Last edited by baldddguy; 05-04-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-04-2007, 02:22 PM
You would really have to listen carefully....

Originally Posted by allenwal
Hi,
A while back I read in this forum that some Fit owners claimed they could hear and/or feel the gas sloshing around in the tank under the driver's seat. Is that correct?
Allen
Hi Allen:

I can hear (slightly) and feel (barely) the gas in the tank only when I pull into the garage verrrrry sloooowly. It would have to be totally silent in the car, no radio or chattering kiddos. I have never heard it/felt it any other time.

No worries~

Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Sloshing gas

Ok - this is something I just found out about a few days ago. I never knew that the gas tank was under the drivers seat. This thought bothers me and now that I am reading you can feel and hear the gas sloshing - it really bothers me. With the tank being so near to the engine what type of steps did Honda take to insure that the tank is safer in that location. I am seriously rethinking my purchase of the Fit because of this. I use to drive an exploding Ford Pinto back in the days and don't want to go back to that nightmare! Any idea of what safety factors Honda took to make this work?

Cat

Old 05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Cat
Ok - this is something I just found out about a few days ago. I never knew that the gas tank was under the drivers seat. This thought bothers me and now that I am reading you can feel and hear the gas sloshing - it really bothers me. With the tank being so near to the engine what type of steps did Honda take to insure that the tank is safer in that location. I am seriously rethinking my purchase of the Fit because of this. I use to drive an exploding Ford Pinto back in the days and don't want to go back to that nightmare! Any idea of what safety factors Honda took to make this work?

Cat
If your gas tank explodes, you have bigger problems to worry about than whether it is directly under you or 4 feet behind you.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:18 AM
I never noticed it until my friend said something. Normally I have the radio up loud enough but when I backed into the garage she's like, "what was that?" I didn't have the radio on and noticed it. I don't think I ever heard it before.

Just turn the radio up and you wont hear it.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by Cat

Cat
GAs only ignites with oxygen. I don't think a gas tank explodes from within. If you ever get into a terrible wreckage, where the tank punctures (and fire is present) is where the flames will shoot out.

Note that on "regular" cars, the gas tank is under the back seats. My guess (don't cite me) is the gas tank is stronger than most. I also am guessing it's smaller than average capacity (10-11 gallons) has to do with safety.

But one thing I am sure of is they did address this problem a long time ago when talking about this car. I remember being concerned, and reading about what Honda says about it.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
i hate sloshing gas

Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat

Cat
I really don't think you've got much to worry about. There are literally hundreds of thousands of Fit's on the road for near 7 years now w/o one single issue to ever come up from the tank position. Honda basically has it in a reinforced "cage" in the frame that pretty much has it completely surrounded. It also has a shield over it on the undercarriageto protect it from road debris, etc. The sound of the gas moving is really overblown -- it's not like it's constant, only under certain times like if the tank was just filled and even then it's not often or pronounced. If you been hit hard enough to puncture the tank, you're already probably dead or near to it just from the impact alone, so it's really a moot point in that sense.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Location of Fuel Tank compromise safety?

I know Fit has fuel tank under the driver/passenger seats..
i was driving home yester day and hearing fuel moving sound underneath, i began to think "Isn't gonna be more dangerous in accident since fuel tank is closer to driver/passenger"?

basically i am sitting on fuel tank... lol

i am sure Honda tested the safety for Fit's design.. well.. i had to share this thought...

Last edited by bestfit; 05-06-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
It is not more dangerous. If you really think about where are the most common places you would get hit? front/rear. Having the gastank in the rear is more likely to have it hit during a collision making it more likely to rupture.

IBTC!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions