General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions

Hi,

A while back I read in this forum that some Fit owners claimed they could hear and/or feel the gas sloshing around in the tank under the driver's seat. Is that correct? My only experience with the Fit is a short test drive, and I didn't notice anything like that, but I wasn't really listening for it. I'm seriously considering purchasing the Fit , but I think something like that would really bug me if it was noticible. So is it common, or do you have to be hyper-sensitive to notice it?

Allen

Old 05-14-2006, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
I've put over 3600 miles on mine and I've never heard it.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:17 PM
I can hear mine quite often....

Old 05-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Just took mine out on the highway for the first time - no sloshing fuel noise.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Heard it a little bit yesterday when I stopped short. Nothing to be concerned over really; it's barely audible.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Smile

Don't worry about it. I am very sensitive to sound, and Fit fuel slosh, whan audible at all, is only slightly louder than my Focus was. Considering where the fuel tank is, I am amazed it is not louder. I am sure Honda considered this and took considerable pains to keep it quiet.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Once you turn the volume on teh radio off or just down all the way you'll hear it, but if you turn it up, you'll never notice it.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:44 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i heard b4 for but i guess i tuned it out

Old 05-14-2006, 08:19 PM
That was my thread earlier...

I hear it BARELY- but it's there. Don't hear it all while moving, only when coming to a stop. Best example, pull in the quiet garage, stop, engine off, couple of faint sloshes. No big deal.

I think it's strange, but not obtrusive, and I wouldn't NOT buy a Fit because of it...

Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
barely audible. I actually have heard it before, but didn't realize it was the gasoline till today. It sounds like bubbles. Its real quiet. If u're listening to music or windows are down, u won't hear it.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Someone that Posts too much
when i pull into my garage, with total silents, you can hear it

otherwise it's not there at all

-joe

Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Gurgling noise on start-up...

I am just curious, but why does it sound like ice sloshing around in a ice chest when I first start the car and drive around a bit? Has anyone else notice this? Is it the coolant?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:33 PM
If you installed the fujita intake while the car was warm-or cold, you might have lost some coolant(you would notice!) when replacing the hoses. Those are air bubbles in your coolant lines, just add more coolant to the radiator till full and free of bubbles(when warming up the car from cold). The bubbles will escape through the radiator cap opening and allowi more fluid to fill. See Honda manual for proper amount and don't overfill - problem solved.

This is just a recommendation and I am not responsible for damages to the fit-see owners manual. Happened to me, and I overheated my engine twice before I did it the right way.

The fit is wierd because it sends coolant through the system and into the throttlebody which is higher than the radiator cap so bubbles can't get out completly while running your car. You might have to do this a couple of times till you don't hear the bubbles anymore.

Last edited by jits14; 11-15-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Had the same issues after installing my T1R intake and having my coolant topped off. With the car on a level surface, with a cold engine, remove the radiator cap, and start the car without giving it any gas. You may cover the intake with a rag just in case some coolant spews over. You should see bubbles coming up, leaving the heater core, which is where these bubbles are causing the gurgling noise. Let the engine run until the fan kicks in, at which point the coolant level is going to drop. Hopefully by then most of the air bubbles have left the system. Cap off the radiator opening, and take it for a little drive. There should be little to no noise, and once you drive it for a while there should be no more noise. Good luck!

Last edited by marokero; 11-15-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
awesome, thanks for the info!

Old 11-21-2006, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marokero
Had the same issues after installing my T1R intake and having my coolant topped off. With the car on a level surface, with a cold engine, remove the radiator cap, and start the car without giving it any gas. You may cover the intake with a rag just in case some coolant spews over. You should see bubbles coming up, leaving the heater core, which is where these bubbles are causing the gurgling noise. Let the engine run until the fan kicks in, at which point the coolant level is going to drop. Hopefully by then most of the air bubbles have left the system. Cap off the radiator opening, and take it for a little drive. There should be little to no noise, and once you drive it for a while there should be no more noise. Good luck!
How much coolant did you lose/add? I am getting mine tomorrow I probably will install it at work but not bypass the coolant line until the next morning when the engine is cold. Then i will bypass it and start it up. What do ya think? Is it better to bypass the coolant line when the engine is warm or cold?

Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
gurgling sound at idle ...

I dropped my 07 Fit Sport A/T at the Honda dealer for the SRS recall and asked them to investigate the gurgling sound I hear at idle and low speed acceleration. The service manager and technician both said they had never heard anything like it before. Sounds like it is coming from engine bay. It seemed to gurgle more after changing the auto trans from park to rev, rev to neut, etc. From that I was thinking it was transmission...but the sound is more like water gurgling from one chamber to another.

The coolant thread sounds more feasible...the Fit is still at Honda for troubleshooting.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
gurgling sound at idle & drive away

I dropped my 07 Fit Sport A/T at the Honda dealer for the SRS recall and asked them to investigate the gurgling sound I hear at idle and low speed acceleration . The service manager and technician both said they had never heard anything like it before. Sounds like it is coming from engine bay. It seemed to gurgle more after changing the auto trans from park to rev, rev to neut, etc. From that I was thinking it was transmission...but the sound is more like water gurgling from one chamber to another.

I've seen an older thread on this site about air bubbles in the coolant making gurgling sounds...the Fit is still at Honda for troubleshooting.

Anyone else run into this with their Fit?

Old 03-23-2007, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Mine gurgles too!!!!!!
I have a M/T though. It happens at idle and sometimes when I come to a stop it sounds like a waterfall! I'm not sure what causes it, or if its bad or not. Maybe I should ask my dealership

Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Might be that 10 gallon gas tank your sitting on top of, sometimes I here the fuel bouncing back and forth in there...

Quick Reply: Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions