General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Its in the safest place

Come on now, where is the safest place. Not in the back , so some moron can rear end you. Dont worrry dude The fit is the safest little car ever made.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
If your get hit in a Fit and your gas tank gets crushed so would you and/or your passenger. I think that under the front seats is the safest location possible.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Question gas tank noise ???

ive had my fit since monday, i just did put gas in it 2 nights ago, and i noticed when i come to a stop you can hear the gas slamming around in the gas tank... i didnt notice it before. it seems sort of loud, but i didnt know if everyone noticed that or not ? ? ?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, I can hear the gas slosh. The remedy is to put on a good Stan Kenton CD, or maybe a Buddy Rich CD to cover up the sloshing.

But I'd rather hear the sloshing than listen to Kenny G or other smooooth jazz stuff!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Same problem with my Fit but I guess thats the downside too having ur tank so close to the front of the car.

At least the car handles better because of it.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:15 PM
cool... just checking.... just washed, waxed and detailed.. looks awesome.. i got bout 400 miles on it so far... tryin to get it broke in ASAP ! it does handle very very good to.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
noise gas tank

I can't believe I almost allowed the gas tank issue to side track me from buying a Fit
It is out in front of my house now, has 122 miles on it and I love it so much. Would have been a huge mistake to be missing all this fun just because of the gas tank. My cousin who owns a Hummer 3 said if anything hits you hard enough to rupture that tank you've got bigger problems than that! How true. I've been trying to decide since February which car to buy tried the Versa, Yaris, was thinking of testing the Scion XA and just kept looking at the Fit and enjoying this board. Got my Milano Red Sport last Tuesday from sheer luck because someone could not get their loan and now I don't have to wait 3 more months! There is another Milano Red base on the lot that was suppose to come in early May - but was late. There are only three of us in our area who are driving the Fit - makes it fun. Someone asked me today if it was a hybrid.

Cat :X

Old 05-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Car forums are such great things. I first heard the gas sloshing noise when I was parking in my garage after my first tank fill-up. Thought it was a little noisy but now after reading here that it's a normal thing, I don't have to worry about it.

And Cat, congratulations on buying your Fit. It would have been the most neurotic thing ever if you missed out on this car because of the gas tank, which is a non-issue.

Happy sloshy driving all.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Fuel sloshing/banging in fuel tank?

Does anyone notice the fuel sloshing and some other solid object banging around in the fuel tank when coming to a stop? I have noticed that in my MT fit that when I let it roll for a bit and then hit the brakes, I always hear fluid sloshing around with a few bangs.... ???

Old 06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
On my base model I hear the gas sloshing with a full tank, that's about it.

The windshield wipers are extremely loud.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
I hear it to...I just turn up the radio. Probably has something to do with the fact that the tank is under in the middle of the car as opposed to the back....That and maybe the cheap carpet is crap for sound insulation.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by allenwal
Hi,

A while back I read in this forum that some Fit owners claimed they could hear and/or feel the gas sloshing around in the tank under the driver's seat. Is that correct? My only experience with the Fit is a short test drive, and I didn't notice anything like that, but I wasn't really listening for it. I'm seriously considering purchasing the Fit , but I think something like that would really bug me if it was noticible. So is it common, or do you have to be hyper-sensitive to notice it?

Allen
I've heard it too, but it was my girlfriend!!!

Just kidding. But I've even heard it in my Accord, but that was in my garage as I stopped, at night and with the radio off. Unless you live where there is no noise at all, besides crickets chirping and tumbleweeds rolling by, then you shouldn't hear it. If you still do think of it like a nice waterbed.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I just heard it for the first time the other day, when the radio was off, and I pulled out quickly. It was a deep "gluuunk" that I mistook for a "thunk". I then slammed on the brakes, thinking "what the...?". Anyway, I realized what it was, and then haven't really heard it, or thought of it, since.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:54 AM
wow i cant believe this thread exists. I had this problem a couple months ago and thought my car was defective.

Everything was fine one day, i was running low on fuel so i went and got a full up. After i drove off of the gas station i heard the fuel rushing back and forth in my car making REALLY LOUD noises. I mean it was so terrible i had to pull over and i thought my car was going to blow up. Everytime i pressed the gas you could hear the fuel sorta popping underneath me and gushing back and forth.

After stopping i decided maybe the tank is too full so i drove really fast around a couple of corners to burn some fuel and then i left it idle for 20 minutes. I started to drive it again and the noise went down a bit.

I went for another full up the other day and i haven't heard the noise, i did hear it once but it was very faint.

The Coolant theory seems like a good test, i'm going to try that soon.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
So to sum up all the posts in this thread, a gurgling noise is either gas sloshing in the gas tank or low coolant, and either fill up the coolant, or play some good music over top the sound.

I've noticed a gurgling in my Fit recently, and I don't think it's the gas tank because it happens when the tank is very full. I've also been using the pulse and glide method, and I hear gurgling whenever I (re)start the engine, before the radio powers on. If it is my coolant level being too low, is it going to be a problem for the car? It seems easy enough to fill it up but I'm computer-savvy, not car-savvy and I don't want to screw anything up!

Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Delayed Notice?

0-3000 miles: never noticed the sloshing.
3001 + : I hear it, I feel it, in stop & go traffic.

Weird but misery loves company. Glad I don't have to prove to a Honda tech what is happening. I guess I'll also check the coolant but for now I'll assume all is normal, though not necessarily desirable.

Still love the versatile Fit. Just wish it didn't do the slosh.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
DANGIT!!!!

I had never heard this sound before in my Fit until I skimmed this thread, and I noticed it last week. Now the question is did I notice the sound because I read this thread and was sub-conciously listening for it or did it never really happen before? Weird.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
If the noise annoy you, just don't fill the tank full. I've notice it's alittle loud when tank is full.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by storm88000
DANGIT!!!!

I had never heard this sound before in my Fit until I skimmed this thread, and I noticed it last week. Now the question is did I notice the sound because I read this thread and was sub-conciously listening for it or did it never really happen before? Weird.
LOL!

FTR, the 2008 Fit Sport sloshes too. It's no big deal.

--Barry

Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Sloshing

I've heard it once in the couple months I have had my Fit...it reminded me of my stomach after drinking a grip of water. Don't worry it won't bug you unless you completely gut the car, but then you'll also hear every little pebble thrown up into your wheel well.

Quick Reply: Fuel, noise from gas tank Questions