General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

After ignition - power went down + strange noises from the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:51 AM
Exclamation After ignition - power went down + strange noises from the engine compartment

Hello,
Something very strange happened last night and I wanted to ask for an opinion from more experienced people than myself.
Here is a step by step recap of what I did and what was happening to the car:
1. Parked the car and went for a meeting. (car behaves normally)
2. Return from a meeting after 2 hours and enter the car, the car looks the same, no signs of hits or anything (also no rain in those 2 hours).
3. Put the key in the ignition and immediately try to start the car.
4. The lights turn on for a brief moment, the starter just started to make a sound and immediately all the power went down, turning the key back and fourth didn't change anything.
5. I take the key out of the ignition and start to hear a strange noise coming from the engine compartment.
6. I open the hood and hear very loud "quaking" noises coming from the left side of the engine compartment (not the engine). At first I thought the noise sounds like some fluid under pressure, but then I think it also could be similar to some electric short noises.
7. The noises continue for about a minute then stop, then start again after 10-20 seconds. The noises goes on for about 10 minutes, sometimes stopping and then starting again.
8. I couldn't think of anything I could do, I checked the engine oil and it looked fine. After around 10 minutes I tried inserting the keys again in the ignition and still no response.
9. I finally thought about disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
10. After I reconnected the battery the alarm immediately started going off. I couldn't hear any noises coming from the engine compartment.
11. After waiting for a few minutes without noises I inserted the keys into the ignition and everything looked normal, the power was back on and the car started normally.
12. After that I couldn't hear any strange sounds and the car behaved normally.

I would like to know if anyone had similar experience? and whether I should get it checked, I don't really know what to say to the mechanic if I went there.

I recorded a video of the noises, the microphone is shitty so it sounds a bit different in the video (In the video it might sound similar to "mechanical" noise coming from a small engine, but in reality it didn't sound like anything mechanical, and as I said, the car was completely dead, keys out of the ignition).
Also, it sounded like the noise comes of the black thing on the shock absorber housing or somewhere in it's vicinity.
The noises at the start is from a passing vehicle.

Hope some of you could help me with that.
The car is a 2003 jazz (made in japan)

Last edited by danart; 09-06-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: add information
Old 09-06-2018, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
Clean the battery cable connections to the battery. Spend a couple of bux on a battery cable brush at Wally World or you favorite auto parts store. Clean both the terminal and the cable until shiny. Grease the terminals with Anti-oxidation grease (available at you favorite hardware store or Lowes, Menards, or Home depot in the electrical department.) The reassemble.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Gee, what a disaster from bad battery connections I afraid that 90% of the forum users are having minimal knowledge about the car. Also, the OP may not even live in the US/Canada (he has 1.3 Jazz), so the suggested store names may not sound familiar to him.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
And the noise was from the aftermarket siren for the alarm. It was getting a very weak signal from the battery so that's all the noise it could make.

As said above, clean the terminals and good luck!

Old 09-06-2018, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
Gee, what a disaster from bad battery connections I afraid that 90% of the forum users are having minimal knowledge about the car. Also, the OP may not even live in the US/Canada (he has 1.3 Jazz), so the suggested store names may not sound familiar to him.
Thanks, I did not notice that he was not in country. The suggestions I made are still valid BUT the store names probably are not.

I have lived in France and South Korea. I was able to find most any item I wanted. I just had to look a little harder and sometimes a little was lost in translation when I asked for something special. I particularly remember one time when I wanted some dry cream (Coffee-mate) from the grocery store to take to work. It took about 10 minutes to get my request across to the store manager. When we found it, everything was in French and I had no idea what was inside the container. The same thing happened many times when I looked for specialized tools. I had less problems in Korea because I spoke the language pretty well and worked with many bi-lingual Koreans.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:12 AM
Thanks everyone, that sounds about right.
Even though I changed the battery recently and cleaned the cables a bit there is probably still some oxidation left on the cables. I will try to clean everything and if the problem persist maybe I will check with an electrician.

Thanks again for your help, I'm really glad there are people on the internet I can count on