General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Would You Buy a Used Fit with Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:04 AM
Would You Buy a Used Fit with Mods?

I've seen a couple of listings in my area for used Fits with lots of modifications. Cold air intake, adjustable coilovers, cosmetics like JDM front lip and spoiler, Mugen short shifter assembly, souped up sound systems (where the spare tire should be lol), batteries upgraded to the larger 51R, added alarm systems, 10mm H&R spacers, etc.

They're advertised as being in excellent condition and have low mileage, like less than 45,000 miles in some cases. I'm curious what you guys think something like that might be worth, or if there are factors I'm not aware of that would make these something I should avoid. One is an 09 and the other an 08. Thoughts?

Old 11-25-2018, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
No. Two reasons, does either of these resonate with you?

1. I probably don't want most of those things. Of course, it might be fun to buy a car like that and then go, "but honey it CAME with this stuff and it was a great deal!"
2. Generally I would not trust the person to do modifications to my standard. Did you have to break something to get this part in or is it reversible? Was this a smart suspension pairing or are the dampers going up blow? Now, if this was a car I already knew back to front I would be more confident I could spot this kind of thing, so maybe for a GE8 or to a lesser degree other Hondas I would be more comfortable.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
It depends on the car.

Would I buy a Fit modified by most of the people on this site? No, not a chance. Cut corners & trash parts are the norm here.

Would I buy a Fit modified by some of the people on this site? Without hesitation.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah wat mike stated above. if modded properly and not too extensive engine mods, id consider it.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
It depends on the car.

Would I buy a Fit modified by most of the people on this site? No, not a chance. Cut corners & trash parts are the norm here.

Would I buy a Fit modified by some of the people on this site? Without hesitation.
Exactly this!

The first thing I'd be concerned about is how clean or janky of a install was done with those parts as well as if the car had coilovers and spacers... was it ever lowered to the point of bottoming out and has any modifications to the fenders or quarter panels. In addition to that, the quality of the install of those parts kind of gives a little hindsight of how the car was maintained if they were the original or primary owner. Generally clean install sometimes can give a hint of a well maintained car... but of course that is not a guaranteed sign.

I'd look over the modification installs and the rest of the car with a fine tooth comb if you are really considering it. You might get stuck with someone's half assed project with extra items you don't want or you might end up a decent daily... with extra items you may or may not want.