Probably getting laid off....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by YeeFit
It's kinda funny, I had a friend mentioned to me that he heard from a friend of his, who's friend said that my company is planning on shutting down their Calgary office. First I've heard of this, and knowing that the company I work for just recieved a 10 year contract extension with our biggest customer makes me wonder where/how these rumors get started...

Plus, the Calgary office is the only office lol...
1000 posts! Congrats! Nothing like a rumour, Iginla moves to the Oilers next season. Spread it around.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Is an Engineering firm? I have heard rumors that Bantrel might shut down for a bit, but they are sketchy at best.
Ya, its a Military Defence Contracting Engineering Firm. All of our profit is made up from government military contracts. So when there's war we're always busy!

We are affected slightly, but not as much as most industries.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
1000 posts! Congrats! Nothing like a rumour, Iginla moves to the Oilers next season. Spread it around.

Lol thanks! It took me like 3 days to get from 990 -1000 posts!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Well tomorrow is my last day at work. Our physician retired on 12/31/08 and the hospital has allowed us
to stay until now to close things down. He has been in practice for 30 years so closing has been a huge
undertaking. The hospital has no jobs but RN's or LPN's so there are not positions to move us into. The plan is to take some time off for a much needed break. I have to wait one week before applying for unemployment. Will plan to dust off my resume and pray to find something soon. Hope everyone else is not in the same position - it has been 32 years since I have not had a steady job. I view it as a blessing to do some much needed work around the house,spend time with my family and organize my garage. If we get a warm day then planning to wax the car.

Cat :x

Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
Well tomorrow is my last day at work. Our physician retired on 12/31/08 and the hospital has allowed us
to stay until now to close things down. He has been in practice for 30 years so closing has been a huge
undertaking. The hospital has no jobs but RN's or LPN's so there are not positions to move us into. The plan is to take some time off for a much needed break. I have to wait one week before applying for unemployment. Will plan to dust off my resume and pray to find something soon. Hope everyone else is not in the same position - it has been 32 years since I have not had a steady job. I view it as a blessing to do some much needed work around the house,spend time with my family and organize my garage. If we get a warm day then planning to wax the car.

Cat :x
Sorry to hear that, it sounds like a tough time for a lot of folks out there right now. Lets keep our fingers crossed for a spring time turn around for the economy.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Ahhhhhhh, here we go again.....

I was kind of hoping that things would turn around, but work has really started to dry up around the office and unless we get some kind of kick ass project I am done early next year.

There have been a few more waves of layoffs and now there are people jumping ship like crazy

Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 PM
they are calling for cautious optimism so hope this starts going your way soon man!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr_ET
they are calling for cautious optimism so hope this starts going your way soon man!
I know Amec started hiring like crazy, but I am in no mood to jump ship... that and they are operating out of the Jacobs building over in the South. That would throw my morning commute for a loop.

I figure if things just keep sliding down I will end up taking a leave to do my Engineering degree. I have been meaning to do it for a number of years, but the market has been so good it was hard to walk away.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Retired Moderator
What else do you need to complete an Engineering degree? Good luck man, if anything comes up, I'll definitely hit you up.

Sorry I couldn't help you out and get some projects through the door, my co-worker just isn't comfortable going back to where he came from for work

Old 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
What else do you need to complete an Engineering degree? Good luck man, if anything comes up, I'll definitely hit you up.

Sorry I couldn't help you out and get some projects through the door, my co-worker just isn't comfortable going back to where he came from for work
I have all my entrance requirements covered, no transferable credits though. I would be in it for the full 4 year haul. Although I found out I could get my stamp almost immediately after because of my background in the industry.

No worries, not like I take it personally by any means. Although it is too bad we couldn't get something going, with this whole recession business we have really leaned out and the only people left are all the keeners