Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Encounter with a dangerous driver...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Encounter with a dangerous driver...

Well it happened again this morning. So I thought I had to post it up somewhere and at least vent my frustration.

To set the situation...I drive about 100 miles to work (each way) about 3 days a week. Both my commutes take me through the rush hours of St. Louis 270 traffic. And today was the second time I've seen this dangerous driver on the way to work in the morning.

The incident happened on northbound I-55. It's a 2 lane highway (2 north and 2 south) with a large median with a tiny shoulder on the inside, and a car width shoulder on the right.

I was driving about 70 in the right lane, while being overtaken in the left lane. Then I check my rearview and this 80's compact station wagon (burgandy Chevy) and it's coming up fast. He has no where to go, and he comes up to to within 10 feet of my bumper and cuts to the shoulder missing me by like a foot.

I didn't see the license plate.. shit. Can't call it in without a plate.

And he just keeps on flying at least 90mph plus. Passing people left and right. And thats when I decided I wanted to catch him.

I put my foot into the floor and got up to 100mph and he was still un-catchable. I know it's dumb what I did. But I really wanted to call the highway patrol this time. Its just a matter time before he causes an accident... or worse gets someone killed.

Andbody have any ideas as to what I should I do next time I see him?

BTW, I was impressed by the Fit when it came to that acceleration and the stability at that speed. Not that I'd want to do that very often... it's just nice to know it could!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
First be safe and don't chase! If you can get his license and report it to the authorities that would be the best way to let them handle it. If you know about what time the guy comes through the area, report that also. Just don't risk your life or your car trying to catch an agressive driver.

Cat :x

Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Snitches get stitches.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:38 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
man, i wish i lived in germany where you will get a ticket if you dont get out of a speeders way. autobahn ftw!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i know how you feel and you wanted to get that a-hole, but i think next time the best thing to do is just let it go.

if you chase and the driver sees you, he/she might get all pumped up and act even more aggressively/wrecklessly. then he/she could cause an even bigger accident, and if you're giving chase, you might become part of that accident. it would look bad for you too because people would just see you speeding after the first car and to them, you'd pretty much be doing the same thing as the first guy. just let it be and try to avoid them, if you can.

when it happens to me i try to think to myself, "i'm so lucky that retard didn't already wreck the both of us." i've been in the same situation as you and i've reacted the way you did, but i think in the future, it's best not to do it again.