Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

I want to tint my windows... but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
I want to tint my windows... but...

Chicago tickets cars with dark tints, even if it's legal for the state.

WTF?!?

I haven't really decided how dark I want to go (just some thoughts), but I know that if I don't tint my windows, this summer is going to turn the Fit into an OVEN like the couple months after I bought it last year. The only saving grace was the door visors (maybe not much, but something!). For this summer, I've already bought some sun shade panels for the front windshield.

If I didn't travel into Chicago often or at all, I wouldn't be bothered... but I do go into Chicago once in a while... and just one ticket is too much ($250!!!).

As far as I can tell, the current state law limit is:

35% all around
or, 30-35% in rear with 50% front sides
OR, less than 30% in rear with NONE front sides.

Now... I have no idea how dark that actually is... since most of the car in my family have never been tinted (only once a long time ago by my brother). And the Fit is the first that actually needs it for the temps, though I guess my arms might need them too for the UV rays (if I leave the windows closed when driving around).

Anyone around Chicago have tints that know cops won't give tickets for?

The main reason Chicago cops give is the need to be able to see into the car (so they don't get shot or something). So my question then is... what level tint can I put that allows you to plainly see into the car? 50% sounds pretty light... but I don't think the cops would accept it for the front... would the cops "accept" something like 75%?

What if... I go:
75% front windows (driver and front passenger)
50% rear windows (rear passengers), assuming I can have it different from the front windows.
35% rear quarter and hatch windows.... or maybe stick to 50% on these too. I don't have a need to have it that dark.

This is my thoughts on some function with some form (aesthetics).

Of course, none of this matters if the tickets are really for the city to just make money, in which case, they'd ticket me for any level, even though it's "safe" for the cops... This is a big worry too.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:14 AM
i say tint

if anything, just make sure you know the law and if you do get written up, take it to the station and contest it

Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
The problem is that Chicago does a "house rules" thing, where they will ticket you for the tint, even if its legal for the state... and you have little to no chance to win. So I'm just trying to figure out what I can do while avoiding that hassle.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
The problem is that Chicago does a "house rules" thing, where they will ticket you for the tint, even if its legal for the state... and you have little to no chance to win. So I'm just trying to figure out what I can do while avoiding that hassle.
Contact the Chicago PD or other Chicago Authority and ask. Tell them that you have heard that PD tickets tinted vehicles and that periodically vehicles receive tickets which are at the legal limit. You wish to tint your vehicle for temperature reasons and have researched the % that you are allowed to tint and wish to carry some sort of proof that your vehicle is within the legal limits.

Record the date & time you call (Both beginning & end) and also the Number you called to and From. Most all of the PDs have Voice Recorders that record calls.

~SB

Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
I recently (5/9/11) took my fit to a tint shop for my first tinted vehicle experience. I went in with a desire to have my windows fade towards the back with 40% in the front, 35% in the back, and 20% on the back three hatch windows. My state's (CT) legal limit is 35% VLT for front/rear passenger area with no limit on the hatch. When I went to the tint shop, a trusted and reputable one at that, I was told that the setup I desired would not be legal as the windows already have a minor factory tint that would make the film/window transmit less light.

The tint shop knew the laws better than I did and they were concerned of covering their own butts. The "darkest" film I could choose was a 45% VLT film for the front/rear passenger area and I still wanted a clean looking fade to a darker hatch so I opted out of 20% and went with 35% for the three hatch windows. I couldn't be more happy with the way it turned out. For my first tinted vehicle, I noticed the difference immediately and all of my fears of losing visibility from inside, thus hindering my ability to operate my car safely, were ousted. One thing I will have to get used to, though, is that the windows become much more reflective inside (this is likely from the sputtered metallic film I selected), especially at night. When it's dark and the windows are up, I see the reflection of my dash instrument panel in the driver's side and the reflection of a satellite radio unit down near my shifter/cup holder in the passenger side window.

I suggest you make a couple of phone calls. Call a reputable and trusted tint shop in Chicago. Call Chicago Police Department.

I went with tints mainly for function. With 10+1 windows and a black interior, it was a quick and easy decision that it had to be done. I didn't want to attract unwanted police attention and I wanted a clean, mature looking tint. If you're stuck on how dark you'd like your windows with some time before you plan on going in for the job and you're at the gas station or parking lot next to a tinted vehicle, feel free to ask the owner about their tints, including where they had them done, their experience with the shop/chicago, and how dark the tints are. I suggest getting an idea of what each of the levels of tint looks like in person as photos can be often misleading.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 AM
if you live in the city, then you're in trouble. for some reason, the city of chicago does not recognize IL tint laws. other than that, you're good. when I drive down the city, I usually just roll my fronts down to save me from the hassle of being pulled over. They don't give citation if your car is not registered in the city of chicago.

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 05-15-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
So I'm just trying to figure out what I can do while avoiding that hassle.
dont tint your windows, receive no hassle, ????, PROFIT

Old 05-15-2011, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
there are new tints out now that cut "heat" from entering through the glass, my windows are slightly tinted (most people cant tell) and when the window is down and the sun is on my skin it can get hot, but as soon as i roll up the window the heat is gone, i will admit it's still a bit bright but i don't get harrassed AT ALL

light tint is better than no tint in my opinion - i hate how dark tint looks (except on dark cars)

Old 05-15-2011, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
I had the dealer tint my windows to the darkest tint allowed by state law.. They wouldn't put any film on the top of the wind shield so I had to do it myself. Even though I cut the piece of film larger than what is legal I haven't had any hassle but down here dark tint is pretty much a must have in the summer and there is no hassle from the law... The piece across the windshield and the fake Mugen vent visors made a very noticeable difference in lowering the interior temperature. ThEvilOnE's idea of lowering the windows is what I did when driving a cargo van that's windows were tinted darker than what was legal. When I would take it in for state inspection I would lower the windows.. One shop that was being hassled for passing cars that were illegally tinted refused to inspect it but told where to go that would... The guy was obviously on the wrong side of someone that wanted him out of business. That happens a lot down here.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
there are new tints out now that cut "heat" from entering through the glass, my windows are slightly tinted (most people cant tell) and when the window is down and the sun is on my skin it can get hot, but as soon as i roll up the window the heat is gone, i will admit it's still a bit bright but i don't get harrassed AT ALL

light tint is better than no tint in my opinion - i hate how dark tint looks (except on dark cars)
I've read about the stuff you are talking about.. That would be Goobie's best bet.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
If you're looking at tinting for pure function and you don't desire a dark aesthetic then light tint is certainly better than no tint.

If you're looking at tinting for the function of heat rejection alone, you have a couple of options. Metallic films use metals in the film to reflect light (heat) away from the window as opposed to dyed films that cause the majority of heat to be transferred into the glass that is then cooled by outside air passing over the window's surface. Metallic films may appear reflective but since the majority of their heat rejection is coming from their reflectivity, they can appear lighter and still have function.

Another option, ceramic film, is pricier but will likely provide the most heat rejection, working as an insulating barrier, keeping heat out and away from the window. Ceramic films are often less reflective giving the windows an appearance of a film-less window. Ceramic windows have been said to have the most clarity.

You're looking at ~$100 for a full car dye-film tint, ~$200 for the sputtered metallic, and ~$400 for ceramic.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
$400?!?

Oi!!!

TEO, plenty of people on other forums and message boards has stated they got tickets in Chicago despite being registered elsewhere.

My friend's coworker got his Fit tinted, I'm waiting to get the number and we'll see, I guess.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
I saw the cartype.com site about maintaining innocence if you are state legal.

But that's the rub... I'd have to go to court and all that too. I'm trying to avoid that hassle also. Plus, until Chicago is ordered by a federal judge to observe the state law, they're going to ignore it.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
I saw the cartype.com site about maintaining innocence if you are state legal.

But that's the rub... I'd have to go to court and all that too. I'm trying to avoid that hassle also. Plus, until Chicago is ordered by a federal judge to observe the state law, they're going to ignore it.
Then don't get the tint. It sucks that people are being given undeserved tickets, but it's going to keep happening for awhile. Making noise in the courts will eventually have an effect. If you want to get tint search here and you will end up here. See if you can get a document from the DMV on tint laws and keep it in your car. Any reputable shop will let you know what the laws are. Angry customers who get tickets are bad for business. I priced out a tint job in the Northwest Suburbs about a year ago for the hatch window, rear windows, & back seat windows, it was around $270.

Eventually I'll get my tint done.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Well, my friend's coworker got an all around tint and hasn't gotten a ticket. I'm going to the same guy he used... and i'm going for a light tint (hope it looks good).

I'm hoping 75-80 would be light enough on the front that they wouldn't even notice.