Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Cargo Capacity - Fit vs Yaris?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Cargo Capacity - Fit vs Yaris?

Looking at specs for cargo capacity of both the Yaris and Fit on their respective US websites (Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories & www.hondacars.com), noticing that the Yaris LB is listed as having much lower cargo capacity (9.32 cu.ft seats up, 25.7 seats down), than the Honda Fit (21.3 cu.ft seats up, 41.9 seats down).

Just wondering if there is that much difference in the "real world" cargo capacities of these two. Does the Fit really have that much more cargo capacity?Anyone ever compare both? Could it be due to the Fit being able to flop the front passenger seat forward for some extra cargo capacity? Or maybe due to interior roof/ceiling height being taller for the Fit?? (it appears to have about 1" more headroom, but that doesn't really tell me floor to ceiling difference between the two) Otherwise, it doesn't seem to add up since both these cars are similar in size and passenger dimensions (headroom/legroom/shouldroom/etc...) (Fit is a bit longer than the 3-door Yaris LB, otherwise very similar in every other dimension.)

Peace

Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
This should be in the comparison forum... but a mod should be able to fix that up for ya.

Anyway, Im guessing you haven't seen the Yaris / Fit's cargo space in real life eh? The cargo capacity between the two cars cannot be compared. The yaris is SO much smaller! You cant put anything in that thing! The trunk doesn't go very far "into" the car and its not very deep either. Its about levelled with the trunk opening for depth. Where as for the fit, the trunk floor is quite a few inches below the level of the trunk opening. If you see it in person, you will notice that there is a HUGE difference in cargo space between the 2 cars.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
No I haven't had a chance to check them out in person yet... Just looking for some early feedback. ;-)

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by northerner
No I haven't had a chance to check them out in person yet... Just looking for some early feedback. ;-)

Thanks for the info!
I've seen both close up. The Yaris is small, the FIT is very versatile and quite spacious. It's like a mini-Odessey. On paper the dimensions are similar but not really. Those are outer dimensions you are comparing, inside there is much more space in a FIT.

From the drivers seat the two are somewhat similar. I like the dash gauges of the FIT better and the radio in the FIT sport was far superior to the Yaris.
Yaris is criticized for not having good layout for interior storage space and cupholders. Materials and fabrics are a little nicer in the FIT, not so basic.

My daughter had to move her college dorm stuff out between semesters by herself (lots of junk even for a double dorm room). Two trips in the FIT and everything was done. Nice.

I've taken 5 people in a FIT to go to dinner and it was fine. Yaris hatch better suited for four people, Yaris sedan could take 5.

Fit rear seat is the best folding seat out there- much better than any other I have seen. This makes for hauling stuff that much easier and it's a split foldable seat- fold it up or down. If you fold the seat up then you have storage all the way down to the floor carpet- like a delivery van. You can also fold the front passenger seatback down flat to extend storage for a very long object.

Yaris hatch is meant more for the one or two person commuter who needs limited storage in the rear but wants small size and higher mpg and lower cost. Yaris doesn't come with standard airbags and the optional side curtain airbags I wanted were non-existant at the dealerships I checked- they told me they have never seen a Yaris with side airbags ... ever. They sell what they get in from Toyota and it never comes in. I thought that was a very bad policy and didn't appreciate that you have to pay extra for a standard safety feature.

For a family of four the FIT is much much better. Each person has their own door which makes access to the rear seats much better and the trunk area is large enough as it is without needing to fold down the rear seat- a big plus, or you can split fold the seats a little 60/40 for more storage.

Finally the FIT will have a much much higher resale value and if you add in the right options for the Yaris the cost is not so low anymore. Yaris usually sells for MSRP and sedans are very plentiful while hatchbacks are in demand.

If you are on a budget the Base FIT is very good. Otherwise the FIT Sport is nice appointed. Go for a test drive and see what you think.

I drive a 2 door hatchback everyday and I was not that impressed by the Yaris hatch and thought the FIT was quite a bit better overall and for the extra storage and hauling capacity.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all the info Mini-Fit! :)

Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Someone that Posts too much
1st time I saw the boot space after lifting the hatch on the Yaris my reaction was where is the boot or at least where is the rest of it. Chalk and cheese difference compared to the Fit. No versatile magic seats on the Yaris either.

Yaris I 1st saw had a sub box in the boot. It was hard up against the hatch because of the nonexistent space. The boot rattled like there was no tomorrow. If you put the same sub box hard up against the hatch on the Fit the hatch doesn't rattle only the rear number plate (pretty normal on all cars). Pull the hatch apart on both and you'll see why. This same quality difference is also evident throughout particularly in areas you don't see.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:38 PM
The gas tank on the Fit is placed under the driver's seat so the cargo floor is 14cm lower.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit is definitely roomier inside.

That said, there are multiple ways to measure cargo volume. For example, sometimes only the volume up to the base of the windows is measures, instead of to the ceiling. The numbers for the Yaris look too low to be for all the way to the ceiling, so I'm not sure they're directly comparable.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Fit vs Yaris

I can speak from experience, as I traded in my Yaris for a Fit last year. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the Yaris. Great gas mileage, inexpensive to maintain. But I missed a hatchbatch for cargo space. Altho the Yaris back seats folded down, cargo space was limited to what fit to the dimensions of the trunk opening. The Fit has a massive hatchback opening. I am an avid cyclist and missed the ease of fitting an extra bike in the back (plus two on the exterior bike rack). PLUS, when I was moving, following are just a few of the things I was able to transport in ONE LOAD in the Fit: 27" TV, night stand, microwave, bathroom sink top, speakers, cooler, mini fridge, towels, sheets, blankets, air bed, lamps (I'm sure I'm missing stuff). This weekend I'm going to strap a sofa to the roof, and off I go!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
there's a picture thread on here that solidifies how good of cargo space is.. a Fit can carry a brand new BOXED 50 gallon water heater + driver, i dont think a yaris can do that haha

Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Friend of mine just got a 4-door yaris hatch. We're going to take some comparison pics this weekend (I have an '09 fit sport). I'll post them up here ASAP.

Initial reaction:

Drove his car a bit yesterday and I have to say, I like the fit better (not just because I own it). Everything I disliked about the yaris (when I test drove it in '08) is still there. It feels, well, cheap. It actually feels a lot like my friends Aveo (a $9,000 car) with a bit of Toyota reliability thrown in. It's a nice car though for the $$ (15.3K vs. 18K Fit). The best thing about the yaris over the fit is probably the price and it seems to take hills a little better (though it suffers on gas milage as a result). I prefer my fit as I feel more connected to the road and I can decide myself how i take the hills (thank you paddle shifters).

In the handling department, there is no comparison. I can whip around turns much faster and with much more confidence in my Fit than in the Yaris. I feel like I'm going to fly off the road in the Yaris.

I will echo others on the cargo space. There is essentially NO cargo space in the Yaris. The base model (yaris) is actually annoying because you can't move the back seats forward or backward like you can in the sport model. That is really the best feature on the sport model as it lets you decide, based on the situation, whether you want more passenger room or more cargo room. The base model tries to strike a logical balance, but it fails, in my opinion, as you don't get enough passenger space or enough cargo space. I tried the "sit behind yourself" method for judging, and I find I can't sit very comfortably in the back with a like-sized driver in the front. I am only 5'7" 140 lbs.

Honestly though, it's not a fair comparison. The Fit seems made for striking the perfect balance among economy, comfort and versatility while the Yaris seems to be designed for economy only.

The decision between the two cars, however, comes down to what you want out of a car. For me (I'm often the friend everyone calls to help them move, I have a lot of massive music equipment, I'm a city kid and hypermiler) the Fit had everything I wanted in a car. I also think it looks a bit sleeker than the Yaris, though they are both pretty geeky (awesome!) and that was my last concern.

Good luck!

-P

Last edited by trick; 07-02-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
good evaluation. i also think there is really no competition for the Fit. the others are just too far behind. people think other similar priced cars are 'competitors' but they
really aren't.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
The lower floor pan and the magic seat make the Fit infinately more roomy and user friendly when it comes to cargo space (imho).

Old 07-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I will add more as my friend and I continue to benchmark our cars; keeping in mind of course that this isn't a competition, but a dispassionate comparison for fun.

I should add, however, that once you add the comforts of the Yaris A/T sports package, you end up paying close to $16,200. You could easily get a Base A/T Fit, or even an M/T Fit Sport for that much, just in case someone is actively considering both of these cars. Once again though, they are really not comparable cars--they serve different purposes for people with different priorities.

-P

Old 07-02-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
its only obvious. idk how 2 ppl can sleep in the backseat of a yaris haha

Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Here are some pics of my Fit (Wedge Antilles) and my friend's Yaris (Capt. Nemo). Enjoy.

I wanted to take a picture of the hatches with the seats down, but we ran out of time. Next time, perhaps.

-P

Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Yaris has centered speedometer, therefore I ruled it out in like 5 seconds. If you can live with that rather awkward configuration, then put it on your list... but NOT on mine!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
For sure...

I heavily dislike the center spedometer. If they had put the same dash in they HB that they put in the sedan, it wouldn't be quite so bad. The fact that there is NO tachometer is also fairly annoying.

Still, it's a pretty solid little car.

The Fit is just in a class all its own.

-P