Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit Vs. Mazda5

Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Fit Vs. Mazda5

this to me was the bigger decision than other comparos. i ended up with the fit because the mutiple 'problems' with the mazda5 - which was surprising as it is built in japan. you can see these at the nhtsa site under technical service bulletins and recalls. anyway, both have 4's, no traction control or esc. the fit is more reliable with better mpg's. however, the mazda5 has more space via a third row seat, more cargo volume and now, for 2008 models, will also have aux mp3 inputs, a 5 spd automatic, and arm rests! :eek:

when i researched the two, there was a general concensus that the mazda5 was no good on snow (i may be moving to a winter clime, so this was a big negative for me), but the fit is. the mazda5 also looks just as good as the fit (to me) and had impressive handling (not like the fit, but close). both are also very safe. Was anyone else stuck between the two? Also, what would you buy now if the choice was between the fit or the 2008 mazda5? i still would've bought the fit, but if the mazda had traction control - i'd take the mazda5 (i know, i know...but i do have a family of 4 and a dog :o).

Old 06-25-2007, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by djk949
Was anyone else stuck between the two? (Mazda5 and Fit)
No... I didn't even consider the Mazda5. I also considered the Toyota Yaris, though.

Originally Posted by djk949
Also, what would you buy now if the choice was between the fit or the 2008 mazda5?
The Honda Fit - hands down. I would not consider a Mazda; I would only consider a Toyota or Honda.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
We have a MT Mazda5 as well and it's pretty a fun mini-minivan. It's feels faster (2.3L 157hp) than the fit and has a ton of cargo/people room. The fuel economy is pretty good at 24mpg avg. and it has been a very reliable family hauler so far. The fit is a better work commuter though with better MPG and handling. You can't really put these cars against eachother though.. they are meant for different purposes.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
yeah, they are pretty different...but they are both mini-minivans in my book. if you look at stats, both have similar numbers - 0-60, pricing, safety, options (or lack of), etc...

Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
This is scary cus we traded our Subie Outback for a Mazda 5. I did read about some of the mechanical issues with the 5 but they all seemed suspension related and the problems were addressed on later models (our purchase). I will miss the all wheel drive of the Subie but to be honest the driving experience is brilliant in this car compared to the Outback. My wife and I vowed we would never get a minivan so this fit the bill especially with a slick 5 speed. We tell our friends it is not a mini van but rather, what the europeans like to call a "spacevan". I like to think of it as a very poor man's Mercedes R Class. So far so good but we only put 2,000 miles on it. I do plan on snow tires which is standard treatment on all my cars even my WRX for which will be traded fo the Fit if it ever gets here......

Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 PM
fazzster,

i also had a wrx back in 2002. i loved it except for the turbo lag and premium gas. you won't miss it when you have the fit. :)

the mazda5 had problems with the doors not locking/latching in cold weather...it sounds like you're in a cold clime, so i hope yours is fine.

anything you'd change or want in your mazda?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
djk949,

I had a 2002 WRX as well and now a 2006. The 2.5L addressed the turbo lag and the brakes were greatly improved. Subaru did a good job addressing the WRX's shortcomings in it's final years with exception of a cheap interior....as for the Mazda 5 I have no complaints, even with the power. Everyone complains about the lack of power but I do not find it as bad as the critics make it out to be. Even after driving my WRX......my only complaint with the 5 is I can't figure out why the front passenger seat does not have an arm rest..........I am looking forward to the Fit. I a sure I will have to ge use to the lack of power but to me power is not everything especially when all the controls work in harmony to complete the driving experience. My other choice was a base Mini but it is a little to much money right now and I am not sure on the reliability especially with the 2nd generation engine being an all new design yet to be proven...

Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
unfortunately the fit also does not come with an arm rest. but in such a small car, i actually prefer it w/o one - seems like more space. japan made cars seem to come over with bits missing here and there...obviously to save cost and turn a profit. the 2008 mazda5 addresses some of these...see my first post in this thread. i predict the 2008 fit's will be better outfitted.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 PM
We just had our Mazda 3 totalled in an accident involving a dog of all things. Was a really nice car and while we ended up with the FIT as its replacement I can say I miss the Mazda. with 45k on it we had zero maintenance issues. The main reason we didnt go with another one was the gas mileage...it sucked! With the 2.3L and A/T it got at best 24.5mpg in the real world. Mazda's aren't known for being real good on the gas anyway....other than that it was a wonderful car.

I still have the WRX to satisfy my taste for speed but the FIT is a great car overall and should stil be running in another 175k miles...not so sure I can say the same for the Mazda.