Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

EP3 vs FIT

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
gettinafit, i just think you hate the ep3.:D

i have to agree with tofuman, most, at least 90% of anyone agrees that it is in fact lighter.

my comparison with the swap into it was to prove that it actually is not a total waste of time.

remember, you don't HAVE to put the a2 motor in there, a lot of the k20's i see online are the jdm type r version, with 220 bhp.

and its still plug and play. is it the best thing to do for all out power? no. but why does every swap you do have to be faster than everyone else? is it wrong to do it because it pleases you? who cares what anyone else thinks!

have you taken a look at what the new si's weigh? they are no lightweights and even then their average 0-60 time is, again, only about a half second quicker to 60. (maybe a bit more, i'm just talking about on average.) imagine a car with that kind of hp, but in an ep3 chassis, which weighs about about 150lbs less. wasted time? no. not if you consider the alternative, which is buying a brand new si and spending quite a bit more, even after you factor in buying the engine and getting it installed.

but at any rate, we are not here to argue cost of installations, or what our favorite si is. this thread is about the fit versus the ep3. and like every other car out there, the ep3 has its weaknesses...but it also has some great things about it.

p.s., i never really considered a stock s2k 'torquey'. but whatev. now an h22 hatch, THAT is torquey! all preludes/accords are, but the guys usually driving them are a bit different than the integra/civic crowd.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
The K20A3 motor in the EP3 isn't THAT bad. It has a decent amount of potential. Even if you don't want to swap the cylinder head and add a 6-speed, you could put in a set of skunk2 stage 2 cams with an I/H/E setup and a nice k-pro tune and you could hit close to if not over 200 whp probably.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
The K20A3 motor in the EP3 isn't THAT bad. It has a decent amount of potential. Even if you don't want to swap the cylinder head and add a 6-speed, you could put in a set of skunk2 stage 2 cams with an I/H/E setup and a nice k-pro tune and you could hit close to if not over 200 whp probably.

totally agree. the swap isn't even neccessary.

the only thing that the ep3 can never argue against is that its vtec implementation looks to be set up for fuel economy...but it doesn't deliver on that front.

the solution you posted above makes perfect sense. a buddy of mine wants to do cams, i/h/e, suspension and maybe do a small turbo or supercharger, because will this engine doesn't share its cousins' high rpm thrills, it does have one very honda-tunability trait: the engine can stand modding very easily without any impact to reliablity.

and you know what? after this, my buddy will have only spent a small amount of cash, will have a fun, reliable dd with some nice euro-flare, and be totally happy and not broke. will he be the fastest honda or even ep3 out there? no. but if thats not your goal, what does it matter?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
^ i agree. someone always has more money and time and will have a faster car. the goal should be to just have a fun car that you can use for DD. it really should be about what car you think looks best. EP3 are great looking to me, not everyone agrees. DC5s are also really nice looking, my brother just bought one. it's a blast to drive.
my new fit is limited in power, but it is still very fun to drive. maybe one day i'll drop in a K20. but i'm not in a hurry.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
^ i agree. someone always has more money and time and will have a faster car. the goal should be to just have a fun car that you can use for DD. it really should be about what car you think looks best. EP3 are great looking to me, not everyone agrees. DC5s are also really nice looking, my brother just bought one. it's a blast to drive.
my new fit is limited in power, but it is still very fun to drive. maybe one day i'll drop in a K20. but i'm not in a hurry.

word. we need more of this attitude in the honda scene. its like, unless you are driving something that weighs 2100lbs and making 500whp, you are not cool.

totally agreed. do whats best for you and what is fun for you.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
word. we need more of this attitude in the honda scene. its like, unless you are driving something that weighs 2100lbs and making 500whp, you are not cool.

totally agreed. do whats best for you and what is fun for you.
couldnt say it better.....sure i'd love to have a 5spd, but in stock form its not like the 5spd runs 12's and the auto 20's in the 1/4...when my wheels were on i had a bunch of people say how sweet my car was...then they'd see the auto and be like "thats a waste"

they can eat it......as i pass them averaging 34mpg:D

Old 02-06-2008, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mholmes85
couldnt say it better.....sure i'd love to have a 5spd, but in stock form its not like the 5spd runs 12's and the auto 20's in the 1/4...when my wheels were on i had a bunch of people say how sweet my car was...then they'd see the auto and be like "thats a waste"

they can eat it......as i pass them averaging 34mpg:D

totally agreed. there was a 5 post member here awhile back that posted in a thread about putting an exhaust on an automatic...he said that guys driving auto's were the reason the honda scene was going to crap.

sorry, it has nothing to do with it.

its because so many people are concerned with being jdm, totally ignoring that they are still driving a fwd car and wanting 700hp, and having no unity amongst themselves. i remember when i had my rabbit, guys in gti's (new and old) and even r32's would give me a thumbs up.

this needs to be the same in the honda circles, at least in the fit ones!

Old 02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
this needs to be the same in the honda circles, at least in the fit ones!
heck yes! i mean if its gonna cost me a boatload to get a 5spd, forget it! i can guarantee (but i cant spell) that with i/h/e, basic suspension mods i'd love my car 1000x more so....and in a perfect world if i'd get the jrsc...then a whole new world of upgrades would be open and while it wouldnt reach as high as the manuals...

i could still be on the phone and eating a sandwich while beating some unsuspecting car and not have to worry about shifting :D ...not that i would, im just saying

Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
heck yes! i mean if its gonna cost me a boatload to get a 5spd, forget it! i can guarantee (but i cant spell) that with i/h/e, basic suspension mods i'd love my car 1000x more so....and in a perfect world if i'd get the jrsc...then a whole new world of upgrades would be open and while it wouldnt reach as high as the manuals...

i could still be on the phone and eating a sandwich while beating some unsuspecting car and not have to worry about shifting :D ...not that i would, im just saying

i feel ya man!

i just want a nice DD, something that people would know by looking at it that i have an understanding of performance honda's, ...but not letting them expect such a quick take-off from a stop light.:)

yeah, stuff like the kwsc high boost is beyond our reach, but the dynos are up, and without any mods, it makes great power. throw in the bigger injectors, and get your exhaust/headers on and you are looking at a great little car!

suspension mods alone make this thing a blast, i can't wait to do mine!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
I'm happy everyone agrees that the Fit is a Great car! I fell in love with it when I saw it at the NY auto show before it's debut in 2006. Bought it that month!

Yes I Hate Honda for giving us the USDM version of the EP3. Honda made people think that it was a great little car from it's birth in 2002, and believe me I know people who bought them at the time, and got rid of them for an RSX after being dissappointed at the amount of loses they had at the track with them.

Now yes I am one to race around, but my Fit (being a Fit and all 4 dr's roomy, etc,etc) is my Daily Driver. AS IS. That was my purpose of building it this way.

EP3 Vs. Fit Glad we all chose the Fit. No matter what you do to it, it will be a better car, fast car, better handling car, more purposful car, etc etc.

5sp or Auto to each his own! At least you got a FIt.! In the beginning it was hard t find ANY fits at all around me.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
ha this thread makes me laugh:rotfl:

Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redrumm
ha this thread makes me laugh:rotfl:

any particular reason?:confused:

Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Ep3

I currently have a 2002 EP3 and want(ed) a Fit for economy- newer car.

However a Fit is still anywhere from 12k (used) to 17k (new). That's just too much for a car like the Fit.

An EP3 can be had for 9k-12k.

I can get 30 MPGs if I really try.

It's a pretty quick car and has some torque. People will misconstrue what I say here but, the EP3 felt as fast as an S2K off the line because of the available TQ. Yes I owned an AP2. The S2K will keep pulling and pulling where the EP3 is done after the initial TQ is over.

Handling isn't what I expect it to be, but I think that's because I need to get some new tires and an alignment.

The space is adequate inside and there is a steering rack problem on some cars. Not detrimental, just a nuisance.

Oh and the seats are pretty nice.

I really loved the Fit at the auto show a few years back. It felt solid and the materials used inside looked really good. The space and economy really sold me on it, that is, until I looked at the price.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I like my old ep3 better than my fit. I loved everything about it but I still like my fit, but if given the chance Id go back to my si.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Oh and the seats are pretty nice.
i love the front seats....i would swap mine out asap......but this is my first car with side air bags....and with them in the seat and i dont want to take that away....id be the one to get hurt if i did.

as i said earlier im going to keep the fit (unless i happen to find a briefcase full of money) and do minor things to it for the most part....to make it more comfortable/enjoyable and look better.

i doubt i'll go FI...if i want a fast car i'll just buy a cheap and use it for the weekends (a 92-93vx 2,094lbs and gut it and throw in a b-series)

Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
i like both cars... no matter how you look at it cars will always Pros and Cons... call me retarded but the civic and the FIT is practically the same car (well the way i look at it) but the Civic is packing a lil more hp as for the Fit it comes with handling room for potential... thats just my .2 cents

Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
i love the front seats....i would swap mine out asap......but this is my first car with side air bags....and with them in the seat and i dont want to take that away....id be the one to get hurt if i did.

as i said earlier im going to keep the fit (unless i happen to find a briefcase full of money) and do minor things to it for the most part....to make it more comfortable/enjoyable and look better.

i doubt i'll go FI...if i want a fast car i'll just buy a cheap and use it for the weekends (a 92-93vx 2,094lbs and gut it and throw in a b-series)

a b series in that would be quite quick!

actually its interesting that you mention the seats, they are some of the best seats ever put into a honda.

Spoon makes a set that look almost like em, but they too have no side airbags, and installing them gives you that airbag light to look at all day.:(

Old 02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Spoon makes a set that look almost like em, but they too have no side airbags, and installing them gives you that airbag light to look at all day.:(
ha yea i love the ep3 seats, i was thinking about putting them into mine (if they'd fit) and just pulling the airbag light bulb.....but knowing me....id get into an accident within the first 5 minutes of doing that and i would get hurt because of not having them there:rolleyes:

Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
I loved my ep3! I've only had my fit for about a month now and I really have grown fond of it! The fit def reminds me of my Ep.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
ha yea i love the ep3 seats, i was thinking about putting them into mine (if they'd fit) and just pulling the airbag light bulb.....but knowing me....id get into an accident within the first 5 minutes of doing that and i would get hurt because of not having them there:rolleyes:

yeah my luck is much the same.

but if you do ever consider it, spoon makes some that you can get through a-jracing that look almost the same, but no si logos, which would look better in our cars. no airbags though.

Quick Reply: EP3 vs FIT