Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Honda Fit verses Scion xD

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
probably LOL. the 06 is the first gen correct? actually, i don't think we ever installed swaybars on the first gen xb. we DO install those things now. we didn't have the correct lift back then. we do now.
'06 was the last model of the 1st. gen. xB. The new xB looks like a cartoon version of a '32 Ford Victoria Hot Rod.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
'06 was the last model of the 1st. gen. xB. The new xB looks like a cartoon version of a '32 Ford Victoria Hot Rod.
lmao!! dave, you still have teh xb? how do you like it? i almost got one. and still might someday. i like them when they are dumped on low offset wheels:hyper:

Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Retired Moderator
We own both, both are good solid cars. xD is kinda funky to me, funky driving postion, funky front end, funky guages. Althoug its better then the Fit in a few places like seats, power, some features. My mom loves her little xD!

Tyler

Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
you aren't helping here tyler. you're supposed to be saying FIT OR NOTHING!!!! :P

Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Thats the way i am in my head, but when i weight out both cars they are both good in there own right. Would i ever buy a xD for me, hells no!

Tyler

Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
LMAO!!!!!! ok, just checking :P

Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by solbrothers
lmao!! dave, you still have teh xb? how do you like it? i almost got one. and still might someday. i like them when they are dumped on low offset wheels:hyper:
The Fit holds more cargo because the seats in the xB don't fold flat. The xB handles like a bus in comparison with the Fit, even with a Progess rear sway bar on the xB. There is a lot more sail area on the taller xB so handling on freeways in the wind will never be as good as the Fit. I personally think that the xB seats are much more uncomfortable than the Fit.

Before we bought the xB, I rented one from the local Scion dealer to fully test it in real world driving conditions. Freeway power was only adequate, but I really beat it up testing top speed in the Santa Cruz Mountains where we live. It handled Bear Creek Road OK, but the Fit outperforms the xB in almost every regard.

The above is not to say the I dislike the Scion. I almost bought another xB for myself because of the quality of the first one. You get a lot of value for a low price, just like the Fit. I just wanted something a little more fun with a little more speed and handling.

Last edited by manxman; 05-20-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
well, i think there was this thing called the Honda Civic Tour at one point in time....i even attended one many moons ago where incubus was the headliner, back when incubus was popular (and good, but that's besides the point).

anyways, every car is going to have it's good and bad points, and every car is going to have people that love it and people that hate it. personally, i didn't even test drive a scion because i had no interest in one, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't fit my taste. i think that fitfreak is one of the most helpful, informative car communities out there, and if there is any bias towards the fit, that's because it's a FIT website. of course most of us that own fits now love them, or we wouldn't be on here in the first place!

rant/over

they are still good. getting better in fact. Maybe thats why they are no longer popular?;)

Old 05-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned
get the fit bro

Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
they are still good. getting better in fact. Maybe thats why they are no longer popular?;)
*threadjack*

i can't stand anything they've done past morningview. i still think s.c.i.e.n.c.e. was the best :)

Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
*threadjack*

i can't stand anything they've done past morningview. i still think s.c.i.e.n.c.e. was the best :)

*continued thread jack*

its cool, my wife is a fan of theirs in general, but still loves the older stuff.

you should check out light grenades tho, they had a few songs on their that sounded like something off of science.

*ok back on topic* :D

Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Well if you cannot fit in the xD, but you can fit in the Fit, albeit it being tight, I believe that would make the Fit more roomy than the xD...

What'd the Fit go in for? That's the first time I've heard of a Fit needing that many repairs. Mine has had 0 problems with 16,000 miles on it.

What does a Tercel have to do with current Toyotas? Ford used to make good cars too at one point.

This would be the only thing I'd give to the xD, and even so 20 HP isn't all that much. Also as stated it's not exactly fair to compair the current Fit's engine to the new xD's. The L15 is 7 years old, compare that to the previous xA which had 100-110hp. The 2nd gen Fit also has ~125hp as well which is on par with the xD.

I'm confused as to what this pertains to... perhaps Scion has to go around advertising because they don't sell as well as Honda? Whatever the reason it's irrevelant.

I think I'm gonna go trade my Fit in right now for the Scion just so I can go to a car show; that's a great reason to buy one car over another.

That's a rather over-generalized statement... many new members state how informative this site is and how much it helped them in decisions. You will find crappy posts in any forum you go to; I bet even scionlife has it's fair share.
I only fit in the Fit because we OWN one and I have to. if my girlfirend had bought an xD, I would make myself fit in that also.

The fit went in because of a Power steering failure at 12,000 miles. And evidently he local Honda techs arent smart enough to listen when I tell them what happened, it took them 3 tries, to fix it.

As far as the tercel comments go, if you would have read the whole topic, you would know. I guess I should be a search nazi like everyone else so I can fit in a little better.

20 hp isnt much? with a car that only has 100 hp, that is .20 of total horsepower. If you have a vehicle that has 300 factory horsepower, that is an increase of 60 hp, when you put things in perspective stuff starts to make a difference.

Look around and see how many scions are out there, compared to econo hondas. I think they can sell their cars without doing this, and they can still do it for cheaper.

It is a great reason to pick one car over another, it shows customer appreciation, if I am spending $15,000 (or $17,000 in hondas case) it is nice to get more than a monthly payment book from your dealer.

This site can be informative. but with people like you just looking for a way to bash people, it goes to shit very quickly. Out of your entire 7 paragraph post, you had 1 informative thing to say, and the rest was just to run your mouth.

Good day.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
not to shabby for a seven year old car. i wonder how well the xd will hold up against the competion in seven years....:)
Probably as well as the xB, or bB that has been around since 2003 in Japan. Pretty damn good.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
well, i think there was this thing called the Honda Civic Tour at one point in time....i even attended one many moons ago where incubus was the headliner, back when incubus was popular (and good, but that's besides the point).

anyways, every car is going to have it's good and bad points, and every car is going to have people that love it and people that hate it. personally, i didn't even test drive a scion because i had no interest in one, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't fit my taste. i think that fitfreak is one of the most helpful, informative car communities out there, and if there is any bias towards the fit, that's because it's a FIT website. of course most of us that own fits now love them, or we wouldn't be on here in the first place!

rant/over
But there shouldnt be any type of bias on a question like this, regardless of what website it is on. If there is a bias for one side or another, fitter, happier could make the wrong decision because of it. One can post their opinions about their preferences, but shouldnt bad mouth the other side just due to a bias.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Double-threadjack<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

*threadjack*

I'll have to agree with that!

>>>>>>Now back to your scion / fit thread already in progress<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
We own both, both are good solid cars. xD is kinda funky to me, funky driving postion, funky front end, funky guages. Althoug its better then the Fit in a few places like seats, power, some features. My mom loves her little xD!

Tyler
this is a great informative post, someone who has both, thank you for the insightful info.:wavey:

Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dcmcelreath
I only fit in the Fit because we OWN one and I have to. if my girlfirend had bought an xD, I would make myself fit in that also.

The fit went in because of a Power steering failure at 12,000 miles. And evidently he local Honda techs arent smart enough to listen when I tell them what happened, it took them 3 tries, to fix it.

As far as the tercel comments go, if you would have read the whole topic, you would know. I guess I should be a search nazi like everyone else so I can fit in a little better.

20 hp isnt much? with a car that only has 100 hp, that is .20 of total horsepower. If you have a vehicle that has 300 factory horsepower, that is an increase of 60 hp, when you put things in perspective stuff starts to make a difference.

Look around and see how many scions are out there, compared to econo hondas. I think they can sell their cars without doing this, and they can still do it for cheaper.

It is a great reason to pick one car over another, it shows customer appreciation, if I am spending $15,000 (or $17,000 in hondas case) it is nice to get more than a monthly payment book from your dealer.

This site can be informative. but with people like you just looking for a way to bash people, it goes to shit very quickly. Out of your entire 7 paragraph post, you had 1 informative thing to say, and the rest was just to run your mouth.

Good day.
I "run my mouth" because your reasons for telling the OP not to get a Fit are based on opinion and other trivial things. Just because your local Honda dealer can't fix a problem doesn't mean you shouldn't get a Fit because they're unreliable and have been into service 3 times. You make it sound like there was 3 seperate problems and it is a crappy car mechanically compared to the xB; which is not the case. An Incompetent service department has nothing to do with the car itself.

I read the whole topic and the Tercel comment still has nothing to do with the xD or the Fit. Your inductive reasoning that just because a 10 year old Toyota runs amazing doesn't mean a new one is built the same. The xD could be a very mechanically sound car but since it shares nothing with a Tercel, it makes no difference.

The Fit has 109hp, 110 if you round up which would make it a 10% difference not 20% which if 10 extra hp is that important you can buy a new intake which would get you another 10hp at the flywheel. 300hp would be 300% of 100hp, so if you want to use it as a comparison than you'd either have to find a car that weighs 300% of the Fit's weight, so 7200 pounds. Now add 30hp (It's a 10% difference, remember?) and see how much of a difference you feel. You can't just throw ratios out there without balancing them.

I'm not going to bother with the others as I still find it silly that you would pick a car based on advertising and car shows... :rolleyes:

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dcmcelreath
But there shouldnt be any type of bias on a question like this, regardless of what website it is on. If there is a bias for one side or another, fitter, happier could make the wrong decision because of it. One can post their opinions about their preferences, but shouldnt bad mouth the other side just due to a bias.
it would be absurd to think that most of the people on a specific website are not inherently biased.

fitter, happier can go on scionlife and i GUARANTEE you if the community was asked "which is better?" they are NOT going to say the fit, even if they have driven them or have personal experience with them. there is a reason people are fanatical enough about their cars to spend their time and energy on a website devoted to said car.

the best bet is for the OP to test drive both, do research, figure out his allotted budget and go from there. it's always good to get opinions, as you may find out something that will sway you one way or the other, but if the OP makes a "wrong" decision than i would have to say that would be his own fault.

i did state that personally, i didn't even test drive any scions, so if fitter, happier was to just take my opinion that would be a bad idea. it's putting together opinions and forming your own that matter, especially when it's a whole lot of money that will be spent.

(oh and the only hatchback i continually talk bad about is the yaris :p)

Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
I "run my mouth" because your reasons for telling the OP not to get a Fit are based on opinion and other trivial things. Just because your local Honda dealer can't fix a problem doesn't mean you shouldn't get a Fit because they're unreliable and have been into service 3 times. You make it sound like there was 3 seperate problems and it is a crappy car mechanically compared to the xB; which is not the case. An Incompetent service department has nothing to do with the car itself.

I read the whole topic and the Tercel comment still has nothing to do with the xD or the Fit. Your inductive reasoning that just because a 10 year old Toyota runs amazing doesn't mean a new one is built the same. The xD could be a very mechanically sound car but since it shares nothing with a Tercel, it makes no difference.

The Fit has 109hp, 110 if you round up which would make it a 10% difference not 20% which if 10 extra hp is that important you can buy a new intake which would get you another 10hp at the flywheel. 300hp would be 300% of 100hp, so if you want to use it as a comparison than you'd either have to find a car that weighs 300% of the Fit's weight, so 7200 pounds. Now add 30hp (It's a 10% difference, remember?) and see how much of a difference you feel. You can't just throw ratios out there without balancing them.

I'm not going to bother with the others as I still find it silly that you would pick a car based on advertising and car shows... :rolleyes:
O.K. kids, you know everything, you can read a brochure, did you get the decimal points on the hp also?

And 20 hp, is 18.34% of the fits 109 Hp. or 18.18% of 110 if you round up, ever heard of a calculator? you were a bit off bud. Welcome to anal-ville, I can do it too. 18.34% of 300 hp is 55.02 hp, you want to say that wont make a difference? regardless of whether the car weighs 1 ton, or 4? If you cant feel even 30 hp, why do people do headers, programmers, intakes, and exhaust systems on full size pickups if they wont even feel a difference?

No the tercel has nothing to do with an xD or Fit, but someone was making fun of toyota, and supporting Honda. I was responding to it.

I am not saying that those are the only reasons, but with advertising and car shows, there is a thing called community; sometimes appreciation and nice people mean more than an "H" emblem.

Sorry Fitter, Happier for letting this get so far off-topic. Again, hopefully you can choose the vehicle that works best for you, and regardless of what you pick, let us know.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
it would be absurd to think that most of the people on a specific website are not inherently biased.

fitter, happier can go on scionlife and i GUARANTEE you if the community was asked "which is better?" they are NOT going to say the fit, even if they have driven them or have personal experience with them. there is a reason people are fanatical enough about their cars to spend their time and energy on a website devoted to said car.

the best bet is for the OP to test drive both, do research, figure out his allotted budget and go from there. it's always good to get opinions, as you may find out something that will sway you one way or the other, but if the OP makes a "wrong" decision than i would have to say that would be his own fault.

i did state that personally, i didn't even test drive any scions, so if fitter, happier was to just take my opinion that would be a bad idea. it's putting together opinions and forming your own that matter, especially when it's a whole lot of money that will be spent.

(oh and the only hatchback i continually talk bad about is the yaris :p)
I definately look forward to actually driving both. I have sat in and explored both however and researched the heck out of them. The Fit has the more comfortable seating position and a more conventional design inside.

Styling is really hard to judge on both of these cars. I really like them both in very different ways. To appreciate the xD, you need to see one up close (much better than pics). The high beltline and bold front really make it stand out.

Anyway, the idea of this thread was not to have people decide for me of course but rather get a sense of opinions (even though biased). ultimately, I'll buy what is best for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: Honda Fit verses Scion xD