Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

06 Scion XB Good car or stay away?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
06 Scion XB Good car or stay away?

Well im looking for another good DD to pick up and drive. I was going to get one around Apr time frame but stumbled upon this XB in a MT with 64k miles for $8600. Now i talked the guy down to $7500 right now. Im about to get a carfacts report on it. Than i also am considering taking it to the dealer and paying for an inspection to make sure every checks out before i hand over a check. Now i did reasearch on alot of cars lately. I was looking at the following cars.Fit,XB, Accord,Cube,Subie,RSX Now out of all my reasearch the Fit and XB were the best buy. I wanted a 4 door car that looked nice got decent MPG and was cheap to maintain like the fit. But i would consider a 2 door if it was sexy like the RSX. But it seems to me the Fits are still going for top dollor used. And i did not want to spend more than say around $8k really. I'm not trying to get into alot of debt. So the Fit kind of went out the whindow could not find any sports for this low of a price. But found a good amount of XB for around this price range. This one i found being the lowest millage and talked the guy down in price. Now i have never drove one as well. So hopefully i don't go and drive it today and hate the fell. But over all it seems like a great buy to me. Any concerns that you guys know of that i did not find or any sugetions. Should i even take it to the dealer to get inspected. The XB forums says these go past 200k miles no problem from what i have read. Thanks guys and gals for reading this post. This car will mainly be for me i think and the girl will be taking over the Fit. But we will see which one i like more hehehe

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Get another fit imo.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by shaun954
Get another fit imo.
Why would he own two of the exact same car?

I've never heard anything but good stuff about the xB. It has the same engine/transmission/chassis as the Echo... it's a bulletproof mill. I recall someone on here driving an Echo past 200K miles.

If I was going to buy another daily driver/runabout, it would probably be an old Nissan or Toyota pickup. I see them on Craigslist for $1500-2000, and for a little runabout truck, who cares if they're rusty and dinged up. The Fit is better than a compact sedan for hauling stuff, but is no match for most compact SUVs, and nowhere near as versatile for junk-hauling as a pint-sized pickup.

Last edited by Occam; 09-30-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
i almost got a xb. i really like those first generation ones, but ended up getting a honda fit because i only wanted a brand new car, and the scion xb was into their second generation model (which i consider ugly)

from a toyota or a honda, i would expect nothing less then having the engine last up till 400k. lol

Old 09-30-2010, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
i love the fit, i would definably get another fit like GE since i already have the GD. i do realize that hes on a budget. but why not another fit, i know two families that husband and wife both have fits, as well and a mom and son each have fits.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 PM
I almost bought an xB in '06: there were three things that stopped me:

1: The suspension was especially harsh on the roads in Nebraska.
2: The cargo space was so-so with the seats up.
3: gas was $2/gal, and I happened to test drive an Element.

The car is very Fit-like under its boxy skin: tossable, fun, and roomy, with a peppy disposition and bulletproof engineering.

(Also, no side airbags made me nervous given the featherlite weight)

Old 09-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that's a lot of miles but considering it's a toyota i suppose it can be a sound purchase.

xB's in general are pretty popular amoungst the elderly too... they ride low so the geezers and geezetts dont need to lift their legs up too high to get in/out.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I had a XB me and my gf shared it for awhile, it was kinda cool, but way slower than a fit and was a really uncomfortable ride. They are easy to maintain but I wouldn't buy one again.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
You have very eclectic tastes in fantasy purchases don't you? First a Studebaker, and now an Xb! If you think the Fit is slow, just drive a first gen Xb, especially an automatic, it will make your Fit feel like your old Evo! And I know that will spur you into trying to make it faster, which will lead to more mods than you really want to be putting into a 2nd car/beater. Most definieatly if the gf is gonna be taking over the Fit. I though you made a sound decison when you got the old Previa to bash the crap out of, what ever happened with that?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by shaun954
i love the fit, i would definably get another fit like GE since i already have the GD. i do realize that hes on a budget. but why not another fit, i know two families that husband and wife both have fits, as well and a mom and son each have fits.
I don't know man... life just seems too short to own multiple examples of a car. I will almost certainly not follow the Fit with another Fit... I can't imagine buying duplicates rather than having variety in my auto-harem.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Well im looking for another good DD to pick up and drive. I was going to get one around Apr time frame but stumbled upon this XB in a MT with 64k miles for $8600. Now i talked the guy down to $7500 right now. Im about to get a carfacts report on it. Than i also am considering taking it to the dealer and paying for an inspection to make sure every checks out before i hand over a check. Now i did reasearch on alot of cars lately. I was looking at the following cars.Fit,XB, Accord,Cube,Subie,RSX Now out of all my reasearch the Fit and XB were the best buy. I wanted a 4 door car that looked nice got decent MPG and was cheap to maintain like the fit. But i would consider a 2 door if it was sexy like the RSX. But it seems to me the Fits are still going for top dollor used. And i did not want to spend more than say around $8k really. I'm not trying to get into alot of debt. So the Fit kind of went out the whindow could not find any sports for this low of a price. But found a good amount of XB for around this price range. This one i found being the lowest millage and talked the guy down in price. Now i have never drove one as well. So hopefully i don't go and drive it today and hate the fell. But over all it seems like a great buy to me. Any concerns that you guys know of that i did not find or any sugetions. Should i even take it to the dealer to get inspected. The XB forums says these go past 200k miles no problem from what i have read. Thanks guys and gals for reading this post. This car will mainly be for me i think and the girl will be taking over the Fit. But we will see which one i like more hehehe
I like those years of XB's too. Before I bought the Fit I was already talking to the dealer of getting a use 1st gen XB but I was kind of disappointed of lack of power(automatic) and the was uncomfortable with the guages(personal preference) location.

On the other hand I would like to suggest a 2002-2005 Civic Si. XB is still a good choice.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Additional listing if I'm out to buy a DD.

1. Hyundai Accent Hatchback.
2. Toyota Yaris Hatchback.
3. Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally.
4. Nissan Sentra SER spec V.
5. 2007 Nissan Sentra.
6. Used SUV

Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Ok well went to look at it guys. It was a mess way worst shape than the guys said. But over all i liked the XB not than one but in general. I still have the previa but its back in the shop for the second time in the 4 months or so i have owned it. The XB i though had alot more room than the Fit and felt more refined. But it was slower over all. I would love another Fit i just can't find one for the price that i want. Well for right now untill i can get a good deal on a Fit or a XB i will more than likely drive the previa and let the girl drive the Fit. I figure even though the previa is in the shop 2 times in the past 4 months its still cheaper than another car note for now. The first bill was around $300 for every thing they replaced the alternater. Now im not sure whats wrong with it will find out in the morning. But say its another $300 thats $600 in 4 months. Thats about $150 a month for how much its cost me wich is cheaper than another car note. I feel like i should drive the previa unitll the wheels fall off. But it has no AC the only good thing is its geting alot cooler here so i don't need AC this time of the year. I will keep saving and keep my eye out for ethier a Fit or a XB. Inless this previa lasts me for a couple of years than i will upgrade for sure to say a Evo,Sti something more my style with 4 doors still

Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
I had an xB for two years before it was totalled. I loved my xB very simliar to the fit in driving aspect.

I'd pick up another in a heartbeat

Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
I had an 05 xB RS2 (the yellow limited edition model) - here's my pros and cons:

Forget decent gas mileage on the highway - the thing is a brick, and mileage plummets once you go over 55...I was only averaging 25mpg over the 2 years I had the box.

Yes, they are fun in the twisties, but not nearly as fun as the Fit. Like others said, it's based on an Echo platform, so you can only dial in so much fun...but the ride is rather harsh (especially on the stock Goodyear LS tires)

It was SLOW. 103hp to pull around 2400lbs isn't much - I ended up trading it in on an 07 tC, mainly for the fact that it could not merge fast enough onto highways, or basically get out of its own way...

Hard to see the light at a stoplight, due to the vertical windshield..

While there is plenty of room in the back seat, and tons of room when the seats are down, if you've got passengers and cargo, forget it - the cargo room is TINY.

Fairly vertical windshield is also prone to cracks, more so than other vehicles - I only went thru 1 windshield thankfully, but I know of others that went thru 3 or more in a years time..

Now, with all that being said - they are a fun little car, stylish, decent mileage around town, super easy to get in and out of, easy to park, bulletproof engine and drivetrain. I loved the under cargo storage (great for detailing supplies). Loved the off-center gauges, a little to the right of the driver, right below the windshield, always in sight. Stock sound system is on par with the Fit's. In cabin storage is plentiful. Engine super easy to work on, short hood like the Fit. Clutch was light, and shifter smooth.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
Additional listing if I'm out to buy a DD.

1. Hyundai Accent Hatchback.
2. Toyota Yaris Hatchback.
3. Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally.
4. Nissan Sentra SER spec V.
5. 2007 Nissan Sentra.
6. Used SUV
why no 07-08 Fit?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Guys i do want a 07-08 Fit in VBP really bad. I allready can see it with a J's lip and grill like mine. But i can't find one for the price i want. There is one close to me with 47k miles a MT it's a 08 but they want $13.5k i think thats pricey. I can only afford about $8k right now thats why i considered the XB. I really did not think i would like it as much as i did. There was just so much more room in it than the Fit. But like i said im still saving right now and waiting this time to get a good deal on ethier the XB or the Fit. I like the new ones but only with the mugen parts on them

Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
look on the Forsale forums theres a few fits around for sale for around 9k.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Well guys im buying a XB its a 06 with 36k miles and its royal blue AT. For $8.5 i pick it up tuesday could not be happyer with the price on it