Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Scion XB is for kids, is the Fit for us old folks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Scion XB is for kids, is the Fit for us old folks?

The salesman that took my order for my Taffeta White Fit Sport AT said that at 63 I was the youngster of the folks he has sold them to. I felt like a kid when I drove the car.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Master FitFreaker
lmao it's for both I see old folks having scions as well

Old 06-18-2006, 11:33 PM
the scion tC is for kids.

Last edited by bani; 06-19-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
I am sure that it will add years to your life. I personally do no think it is geared for "old folks". Who cares about the Scion, you got a FIT coming! Enjoy it when you get it!

Last edited by claymore; 06-19-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
You got me in age by just a few years, but I chose a Taffeta White Fit Sport AT as well! I know a few "old-farts" who have Scion xB and those are not bad cars - just different!
I really wanted a Yellow Fit for my gas efficient daily driver - but as we won't be getting any yellow Fits soon I settled for a Taffeta White... I have had many MT cars and motorcycles over the last 40 years but the Sport AT seems to be the best choice for me right now. I won't give up on the clutch, but with traffic the way it is around the Bay Area these days I can take it a bit easier sometimes ;-)

Old 06-19-2006, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
I see more kids with the Fit. Granted it was only 2 Fits so far. :)

Old 06-19-2006, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
It seems like the marketing folks keep trying to target the youth market and nailing the 'empty nesters' (Honda Element). Maybe it is more about the empty nesters than the cars, kids, or marketing. Most of the Scions I see are driven by 'older' folks.

Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i am kind of young...28 years old:cool:

Old 06-19-2006, 08:01 AM
im a kid.. well sorta 21 and i chose the fit over the xB.. I really don't like the way the gauges sit in the xB

Old 06-19-2006, 08:58 AM
When the secrets' out about this little gem, I'd say younger drivers will flock to the Fit. The Xb handles antiques better :)

Old 06-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Im 20 and ive owned and xB and now have a Fit...so yea doubt it for old people.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Honda's marketing in the US is for youth and budget minded people of higher age. I see more older people in Scions than younger, especially older women in Xbs.

I would consider an Xa if it were a Toyota and not a Scion. OK you ask, what is in a name? A lot. Ten years ago is when I gave up working on cars for a living, and I learned some things about Acura/Infinity/Lexus and their "host" makers.

Case in point: Need a fusebox for a 1991 Lexus ES250? VERY expensive. The one for the 1991 Gen II Camry V6 is much much cheaper....and guess what? They are one and the same other than stocknumber..... Scion I fear will be the same over time...always with an added premium, nevermind much (mechanical) ties back to other Toytas such as Echo and Yarris.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't think that any car is just for one type of person, the Fit left alone can take on the personality of any person quite easily. My parents bought the Fit because it makes a increadibly fun daily driver, but my Dad is a speed freak, he just had do have something faster so he bought Mustang GT and is planning on supercharging it with some pretty impressive suspension mods. So, they gave the Fit to me (25 yrs old). It Fit's me too, sporty, and with a few modifications it will be the tuner car that I like. Besides who cares what someone might think of you, if you like it, whether it's a xb or Fit or whatever. Please yourself before some else.:D

Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 PM
So far by me I have seen three fits. Mine and two others one another blue sport and one black base. The black base model was being driven by a couple several years older than me (I'm 23 I'd say they were around 30). And the blue sport was being driven by a georgous looking chick. I hope she signs up here :). I braught it by my aunts and now my uncle is looking at one. The great part about the fit is it seems to appeal to a range of buyers.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
45% of the voters in this poll are under 30:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/4484-forum-members-age.html
15% are over 50. But are there more 'over 40' folks who would not be inclined to seek out such a poll? Probably but here I am (40 y.o.).

Old 07-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by TheDanger
Im 20 and ive owned and xB and now have a Fit...so yea doubt it for old people.
How did you like the xB and why did you switch? How different is the FIT? Do you like it a lot better? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
How did you like the xB and why did you switch? How different is the FIT? Do you like it a lot better? Thanks.
I loved my xB and my girlfriend still has one...I just let mine go. I switched mainly to the clutch was going out at 30k miles (grrr) and mainly loved the Fit. The Fit is different in many aspects. Not as much rear seating space but so much more trunk space. It feels like a car and is peppy which the xb is far from. Honestly its hard to say i like it a lot better...since really im happy with both cars.:D

Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I owned an '04 xB for a few months before deciding I wouldn't be happy long-term with the car's uncomfortably stiff, jittery ride. (Note: at the time I was suffering from a painful spinal condition). Except for the ride quality-and the boxy styling, I kinda liked the xB though. These cars have an amazing amount of usable interior space-especially the amount of legroom in the back seat! I'm now driving an '05 Mazda 3i with the manual transmission and after 1.5 years of ownership and 23K+ miles I've had no problems so far and have been quite pleased with it. However, based on what I've been reading from other owners via the Mazda3 forums I've started to be concerned about how well the Mazda is likely to hold up over the long-term. As a result, lately I've been giving some consideration to possibly selling the car before it loses any more value to depreciation.

Probably will be visiting local dealerships for a test drive in a Fit, Matrix/Vibe and Corolla before too long. I'm also considering the possibility of keeping my Mazda while getting rid of my (stay-at-home mom) wife's Toyota Sienna minivan and replacing it with something smaller like a Fit, Matrix, or Vibe. The 18-20 mpg she's been averaging in the Sienna (which lately has been requiring $55+ per relatively-frequent fillup) is really starting to hurt with gas now averaging over $3/gal!

Last edited by SmoothSailin; 08-02-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Both markets are buying this vehicle. The older people are buying them for the fuel economy/price factors.

We buy these, and tear out the interior, do engine swaps, bodykits, etc. etc.

It's an awesome car for the price, and the possibilities are endless. There is going to be ALOT of aftermarket support for this car.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 19 and I absolutely love it! I may be old at heart though.
I did take it to an AutoX...I'm going to another this Sunday!! :)

All the others around me are driven by Moms and Elders...
I did have a female in her late teens early twenties oogle over it at a traffic light and say something about how she was getting one soon. Way cool...I'm kinda greedy/jealous. I almost hate seeing other fits on the road. It was nice being unique.

Last edited by GoFits; 08-02-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Scion XB is for kids, is the Fit for us old folks?