Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit vs. VW Rabbit

Old 07-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
Get the Civic SI, way faster than the Rabbit, rivals the GTI, thousands cheaper (than the GTI) and better reliability/fuel economy.
how about a subaru impreza wagon? miles better performance and handling than either the fit or rabbit, much more cargo room than the fit or Si, better crash rating than the fit, and it's one of the most reliable cars made. and it has 4 doors, unlike the Si. it's cheaper than the Si and has almost the same Hp and much more torque. Plus the Impreza delivers its power at much lower RPMs, unlike the Si where you have to rev the crap out of the engine to deliver its power. Plus the Si requires 91 octane fuel whereas the Impreza will run on regular 87.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:17 AM
First of: Si is only thousands cheaper if you get a fully loaded GTI. If you get a standard GTI, the difference isnt too big. Second: The base rabbit is only $14,900. The Si is ~$20,000

As far as reliability goes with VW's, my 1998 Jetta was assembled completely in Mexico, and it has never left me stranded. I dont see why everyone is so scared of things being built in mexico. The germans give the mexicans an set of instructions and the mexicans follow it. And the Mexican built GM's are the highest quality GM's.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by mexellent
As far as reliability goes with VW's, my 1998 Jetta was assembled completely in Mexico, and it has never left me stranded. I dont see why everyone is so scared of things being built in mexico.
because there are many racists on this forum. :(

The germans give the mexicans an set of instructions and the mexicans follow it. And the Mexican built GM's are the highest quality GM's.
don't forget many hondas are built in mexico at honda's mexican manufacturing plant. i guess this must mean honda is unreliable and sucks eh?

Old 07-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Its not racism, even as a Mexican, I would rather have a german built car than a mexican built car. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut having owned a mexican built car for 8 years without a hitch, I wouldnt hesitate on buying another one from VW.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Its not racism, even as a Mexican, I would rather have a german built car than a mexican built car. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut having owned a mexican built car for 8 years without a hitch, I wouldnt hesitate on buying another one from VW.
it has nothing to do with location and everything to do with manufacturer.

after all there are shit cars built in germany, and great cars built in mexico.

there are also great cars and shit cars built in america and canada.

i will repeat: it has NOTHING to do with location and EVERYTHING to do with the manufacturer.

toyota and honda have plants in mexico. i guess this means honda and toyota are shit!

whatever. :rolleyes:

Old 07-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by bani
how about a subaru impreza wagon? miles better performance and handling than either the fit or rabbit, much more cargo room than the fit or Si, better crash rating than the fit, and it's one of the most reliable cars made. and it has 4 doors, unlike the Si. it's cheaper than the Si and has almost the same Hp and much more torque. Plus the Impreza delivers its power at much lower RPMs, unlike the Si where you have to rev the crap out of the engine to deliver its power. Plus the Si requires 91 octane fuel whereas the Impreza will run on regular 87.
A Suburu Impreza wagon? The SI would blow it's doors off in speed and handling. Plus its ugly! I would take the SI in a heart beat.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:09 AM
try driving the Si on anything except dry paved roads. go offroad or on snow/wet pavement (quite common in the pacific northwest) and the impreza will eat it alive.

plus i like the utilty of the wagon over the Si. 4 doors and massive cargo room.

you can keep your 2 door Si thank you very much.

and not having to pay for premium octane at the pump is a massive plus.

and the poor fit is left trailing light years behind all these cars ... lol!

Old 07-17-2006, 01:40 AM
LOL, right.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
My ex-roommate (moved to AZ for a gig), has a *2003* Jetta and I have spent many a mile in it. VW's are freaking great auto's. The one I wanted was a bit out of my range. When I heard about the rabbit comming back I was excited (already had my Fit, but still I love VW's).

Both companies are known for producing reliable cars. To quote KMFDM,

"German eingenering, astounding ingenuity, over 2 decades of creative continuity"

Kraut by blood, industrialist by heart

-C-

Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
I want my brother to get the RabbiT..

Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I bought the rabbit

Well I made my decision and bought the Rabbit. Thank you all for showing interest in my topic. I absolutly love my rabbit and I am sure that I would've enjoyed a FIT too... I will still be driving my custom 91 honda Accord (with lexus tailights) to get my fix of the High revin' Honda's. Just in case anyone was wondering... my first tank of gas got me 27 MPG on the Rabbit. It drives like a dream.

Thanks again,
Lexcord

Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
The rabit, and GTI and the beattle convertible, are maid in germany.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lexcord
Well I made my decision and bought the Rabbit. Thank you all for showing interest in my topic. I absolutly love my rabbit and I am sure that I would've enjoyed a FIT too...
yep at least its possible to buy a rabbit now, because VW is actually producing reasonable numbers of them. they are flying off dealer lots but theres enough of them being produced to keep them in stock.

i think honda really missed the boat here. i mean really, the fit has been best selling overseas for years... and they weren't sure it would sell in USDM? whatever. :rolleyes:

Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I still love and adore my Fit, yet I am getting over the initial "wow it has so much power for such a little car!" feeling and sometimes am like "come on Fit..get goin'..make this pass..you can do it!"

Husband and I test drove the Rabbit yesterday (he's in the market) and I really was impressed with it. If I had waited until it came out, I might have chose it over the Fit.

That said, I do still really really really really love my Fit :)

Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
I don't think the Fit is "underpowered". This is an economy car. The 109 hp will get you to 80 plenty quick on the freeway. Now, I don't have a lot of hills where I live so it might be different if you live in mountainous terrain, etc. But for flat land the Fit has more than adequate acceleration.
My fit is quicker than my previous car - 98 Saab 900 S. Neither car was designed to be quick though - if you want a performance car with acceleration, you are looking at the wrong class of cars.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:24 PM
oh haha I totally realize that. Performance was like #11 on my list of "stuff I need" in a vehicle. My top two choices were the Fit and the Mazda 3. If I cared about performance, I would have purchased the Mazda.

Before the Fit, I owned a Pilot and a Forester. So, getting a "car" was a whole new thing for me, I've never really driven a "car." So I was excited at the handling and the performance for such a lil' thing. And I still am. I'm just saying, there are instances where I wish it had just a leeeeetttttle more get up and go :)

Old 07-21-2006, 12:33 PM
yeah- i hear you queen, but I am willing to sacrifice that for the price, economy, convenience, etc (Fit was half the price of my saab :) )

In a perfect world I'd like a fast car that got 35 mpg, fit all my hobby junk, was 4wd, and cost 16k - but in reality you need to figure out what is important to you and what you are willing to live without.

However, my comments were more directed to those that are comparing cars like the WRX and even the rabbit (25-28mpg??? 2k more?) with the fit - apples and oranges!

Old 07-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by trowpa
yeah- i hear you queen, but I am willing to sacrifice that for the price, economy, convenience, etc
Yep, that's exactly what I was going for. Which is probably what most Fit buyers are going for! :D

Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
How's the backseat room in the Rabbit?

Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dancingsun
How's the backseat room in the Rabbit?
yeah.. some of us need some leg room when were layin horizontal with a signicant other :D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit vs. VW Rabbit