Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit vs. VW Rabbit

Old 08-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by mexellent
Hmmm... A bit biased if you ask me. This is not a good article to form an opinion on. Im sure that little hiccup in acceleration is caused by the auto tranny. Every single automatic hesitates when you gas it.
I don't know your experience with auto trans vehicles but in my experience I have not had a lag except with a chevy truck I had and the turbo mx-6 I had but that was turbo lag. on the mx.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
No Diesel--No way

If it came with the diesel engine I would buy it in a new york minute. But 22 mpg?? For a compact ecnomy car?? Rip-off.

Hmmm... A bit biased if you ask me. This is not a good article to form an opinion on. Im sure that little hiccup in acceleration is caused by the auto tranny. Every single automatic hesitates when you gas it.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:17 PM
lol if they were to make it diesel right now, it wouldn't work, i hear the government is going to make a new diesel gas so all the current diesel cars and trucks wont be able to run

Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by firstshadow
lol if they were to make it diesel right now, it wouldn't work, i hear the government is going to make a new diesel gas so all the current diesel cars and trucks wont be able to run
Wow that sounds realistic.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by scooterboi
If it came with the diesel engine I would buy it in a new york minute. But 22 mpg?? For a compact ecnomy car?? Rip-off.
Not really. I mean, yeah, they could do better. Buuuuuuuuuut, people who buy VW's dont buy them for gas milage. I mean, come on! 2.5 liters?! I dont know very many economy cars with 2.5 liters. Even camrys and accords have smaller engines. And dont come back to me saying that they get better fuel economy. Even though its a valid point, VW's are engineered to a completely different standard. Japanese manufacturers are like "Ok, we need good gas milage." and German manufacturers are like "Ok, this car has to be good on the autobahn, and its gotta keep a cabin temperature of 72 degrees farenheit while going 120 mph through 120 degree weather in 57% humidity."

22mpg maybe a ripoff. But check the 30-60mph acceleration on a vw. Or whatever they use to measure acceleration at X miles per hour. I bet you its better on the VW than it is on the Civic. Because the fit doesnt compete with the rabbit, the civic competes with the rabbit.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Economy?

Not really. I mean, yeah, they could do better. Buuuuuuuuuut, people who buy VW's dont buy them for gas milage. I mean, come on! 2.5 liters?! I dont know very many economy cars with 2.5 liters. Even camrys and accords have smaller engines. And dont come back to me saying that they get better fuel economy. Even though its a valid point, VW's are engineered to a completely different standard. Japanese manufacturers are like "Ok, we need good gas milage." and German manufacturers are like "Ok, this car has to be good on the autobahn, and its gotta keep a cabin temperature of 72 degrees farenheit while going 120 mph through 120 degree weather in 57% humidity."

22mpg maybe a ripoff. But check the 30-60mph acceleration on a vw. Or whatever they use to measure acceleration at X miles per hour. I bet you its better on the VW than it is on the Civic. Because the fit doesnt compete with the rabbit, the civic competes with the rabbit.
:cool: 2000 Honda Accord Coupe 3L; Eibach Sport springs, AEM ram intake, Neuspeed strut tower brace; 215 45 X 17 Toyo Proxes, etc...
about 240 bhp

mixed mpg: 22
highway : 32

...and take the new Civic SI... better gas milage than the FIT. And fast...
My ideal car however: LOTUS EXIGE! And this would give a VW a run for the money....:D

Old 09-02-2006, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
How did you get +40 hp from an intake??

And the new SI gets 23/32; thats not better than a FIT. That's premium fuel too.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Its really all about the driver. There are people who are getting 32 mpg highway out of their VW VR6's (not many though). And there are people who are getting less than that from their VW 2.0 liter engines. My jetta is getting about 22.9 mpg city after the friggin ethanol they added to the gasoline. Not too bad considering its a SOHC 8-valve 2.0. It has exhaust, intake, 266 degree cams and a bike rack.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I had owned 2 VW's, a 98 gti vr6 and 01 golf turbodiesel. Although it never broke down, both have so many electrical issues. Both was a PITA and a headache to own. Turbodiesel's mpg was also a disappointment. For a test, when you're out driving, pay a close attention to cars with burnt headlights or tails. Most likely it's a VW.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
So true. VW and Audi have electrical gremlins.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:31 AM
I've owned three MKIV vw's with all different engines since they came out in 99, the MKIV is the body style that "Crapsumer Reports" says to stay away from and the only problem i've had was one faulty 7$ coolant temp sensor.

This entire comparison is silly, the fit and rabbit are in different classes of car. VW has no direct competitor to the Fit. But none-the-less I can see how you can cross shop the two in the real world. I myself am looking at both right now.

Personally I think, just as another member said, it comes down to priorities, you really have to decide do you want the sunroof and solid "german road feel" or do you want the awesome magic seats and the economy of the 1.5L engine. Decide and buy the car for you. Some of the post in here are just rampant vw bashing and mis-information.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/volk...chlanding.html

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/hond...chlanding.html

Those are the facts, make a choice.

I will be buying the fit, if I can find one. :(

Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 AM
German ... Sig ...

Originally Posted by Montecristo
I've owned three MKIV vw's with all different engines since they came out in 99, the MKIV is the body style that "Crapsumer Reports" says to stay away from and the only problem i've had was one faulty 7$ coolant temp sensor.

This entire comparison is silly, the fit and rabbit are in different classes of car. VW has no direct competitor to the Fit. But none-the-less I can see how you can cross shop the two in the real world. I myself am looking at both right now.

Personally I think, just as another member said, it comes down to priorities, you really have to decide do you want the sunroof and solid "german road feel" or do you want the awesome magic seats and the economy of the 1.5L engine. Decide and buy the car for you. Some of the post in here are just rampant vw bashing and mis-information.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/volk...chlanding.html

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/hond...chlanding.html

Those are the facts, make a choice.

I will be buying the fit, if I can find one. :(
Yeah... the German thing... ah... what competition ... wotj Honda: as I said the other day:IF you have to ask how much it costs to fix then you cannot afford to... esp German Engineering, VW (oops same thing), Mercedes (oops... to replace her rear tail light cost $600.00), three O's (agaim oops), Beemer (had a co-worker with a 745 that had to have his FREEZE PLUGS replaced)... etc...
good ol' German Enginering... Sig...

Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM
MKIV GTI to Fit: what a difference

Hello all, what a great forum! I'm very impressed with all info I can find around here, pretty useful stuff. Here in Brazil, specific car forums are still developing, therefore foreign sites are a must.

I've traded my '02 MKIV GTI for a Fit 1.5 VTEC a month ago, and have some points to comment on:

– costs for VW are very high: gas, maintenance, insurance (in Brazil, insurance for a GTI costs around 20% of the car price!).

– gas mileage for the GTI was around 9 km/L (50% city, 50% highway driving), sometimes with a lead foot :D. Fit goes around 13.3 km/L in same conditions. Couldn't be happier about that :p

– driving experience: well, going from 180 to 105 HP (here in Brazil the engine has a little less power than NA Fit) was really a shock. And there are other significant differences too: steering is lighter, cornering is waaaay different (of course, tires and suspension cannot be compared due to each car's characteristics) and driver position is more relaxed in the Fit.

I really miss my GTI for the following reasons:

– acceleration and speed (of course!)
– front seats in the GTI are way more comfortable (don't know about back seats though)
– lots of equipment that simply don't exist (even as factory options) in my Fit: cruise control, rain sensor, auto-dimming rear view mirror, Climatronic/auto AC, multifunction onboard computer (heck, my Fit only shows average gas mileage!), one touch power windows (only driver's in Fit)
– handling and cornering (well, my GTI had 205/60 15", while all Fits in Brazil come with 175/65 14". No 195/55 15" option!)

On the other hand, my Fit makes me much happier about the following:
– gas mileage (duh)
– transmission (my GTI had MT. Add bumper-to-bumper traffic everyday and you have... a very strong left leg!)
– insurance (one year of GTI insurance pays FIVE years of Fit insurance)

One important thing to mention is that we don't have MKV Rabbits/GTIs here in Brazil, only Jettas. If we possibly receive MKVI models in the future, MAYBE I would consider going back to VW. However, in November the new Fit is going to be available here in Brazil, so it's hard to tell.
In the meanwhile, I'll stick with my NHBP Fit. :vtec:

Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
Wow, a thread thats back from the dead. Lol

Anyways, with gas as it is now, a Fit is a good choice. I think that a lot of people first looked at Rabbits/GTIs before they chose the fit. Anyway, have fun with the new fit:wavey: .

Old 06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, those rabbits are too expensive for wat they are. mgp is not
very economical at all either.