Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit vs. VW Rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Fit vs. VW Rabbit

I am in a Pickle. I recently test drove the Honda FIT and also the VW Rabbit. The Fit is so cool with all the seating variations and the low price tag, and the 32-35mpg (realworld). The Rabbit that I like is about $2000 more than the FIT Sport 5spd that I like. the rabbit appears to get 25-28.5 mpg in the real world. The benefit of the rabbit is the incredible way it handles the road, the attention to creature comforts, + 5year drivetrain, 4 year bumper to bumper and 12 yr corrossion resistance warrenties. If I add an extended warrenty to the FIT, now the rabbit is only $1,000 more. I wasn't blown away by the acceleration of either car however the vw feels more solid and the independant suspension really holds the road around turns.

I have never owned a VW. I have my modified honda accord that has over 165k mi on it (which I will be keeping).

FIT Owners: Are you still happy with you cars? Or are you getting bored with the drivablity of the underpowered (yet fuel effecient) powerplant?

I was just looking for some other insights from you FIT freaks on your thoughts.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Master FitFreaker
not love my fit man I like the rabbit but still love my FIT......

Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 AM
do you do alot of highway driving? I drive 90% highway...65-75mph... How do you like highway driving?

Old 07-08-2006, 01:07 PM
I have the 5AT and love the car and the highway driving which I do a lot of is so much nicer then what I am used to.

I do not like the Rabbit but the Golf I do fancy. Regardless, I love my Fit.

Great for a DD. And it looks pimpin'.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned
where was the Rabbit Made

My Fit was Imported from japan made with more strict values and standards than Mexican labor. Sorry to say because my Dad is Mexican. The Honda has a solid feel and great style , fit and finish and hONDA HOLDS RESALE BETTER.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned
Test drive both

Dont be afraid to open the Rabbit up and put in a few corners (Safely)

The poor guy that sold me my Fit was white nuckles on my test drive 2 times out and about 20min .
The fit is a natural at corners and manuvering but if all out speed is what you want ?? my friend got a Magnum hemi for a good deal. He loves it.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by zonianjohn
Dont be afraid to open the Rabbit up and put in a few corners (Safely)

The poor guy that sold me my Fit was white nuckles on my test drive 2 times out and about 20min .
The fit is a natural at corners and manuvering but if all out speed is what you want ?? my friend got a Magnum hemi for a good deal. He loves it.

This is for my wife... My truck ('99 ram) will be traded in for a diesel dodge shortly. I appreciate all the great comments.... keep 'em coming... any one out there at all dis-satisfied with their FIT? Chances are since this is a forum for people who probably love thier FIT nobody would really have too much bad to say about it.

As for the rabbit, the owner of the dealership took us out and had ME white knuckled when he did a (simulated emergency) lane change to show how well it reacts (suspension wise). This manuver was done at 60 MPH.

I think I need to take out another FIT before I decide...

Old 07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
If you are willing to put up with multiple trips to the dealership for repairs then go for the VW........the Fit has 2 things going for it; 1. it is a Honda 2. it is made in Japan.......I too was smitten by "German engineering" and sold my Honda for an Audi TT. Put it this way, my uncle, a D-Day veteran, use to tell me about all the German tanks just abandoned in perfect condition because they would break down largely due to being over engineered. So tell me, would you rather drive a Swiss watch or a Timex in the real world.....?

Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lexcord
FIT Owners: Are you still happy with you cars? Or are you getting bored with the drivablity of the underpowered (yet fuel effecient) powerplant?

I was just looking for some other insights from you FIT freaks on your thoughts.
it gets me to 60 as fast as i'd like it to with just the right amount of pull-you-back-into-your-seat feeling....and c'mon, who doesnt love revvin that peppy little engine to 4-5k?

Old 07-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned
Well stated...

My first vehicle was a Brazilian made VW Beetle 1300cc air cooled and my best friend has a lime green new Beetle . We always park next to each other at work, and now he wants a Fit also.

I haven't seen the Rabbit so I dont know about its cargo room and interior versitility.
I do know however that my mother and stepdad dont mind riding in my car instead of the Mercury Grand Marquis. My mom likes the room in the back seat and the comfort level and quality of the interior. We went shopping in Foley Al. by way of I-10 to Spanish Fort from Pensacola and after driving and sightseeing for the day we were not fatigued when we got out.
My Fit got plenty of highway exercise and backcountry twists and turns were not any problem.
I am sold on the Fit.
I like the fold up seats in the back also being able to fold them both flat to make a smooth cargo area.
check out the Car and Driver comparo and GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide on. I have the Blaze Orange but the red is really nice too.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...a-yaris-s.html

Old 07-09-2006, 01:15 AM
I test drove a Rabbit today
and I must say I am impressed

for $2,000 you get a lot
floor mats ( should be included with the fit but isn't)
rear cargo cover ( should be included with the fit but isn't)
bigger more powerful engine
center arm rest
heated seats
heated washer nozzels
4 wheel disc ( braking performance was very impressive on my test drive)
6 disc in dash mp3 cd player
better rear suspension design ( IMHO)
optional sunroof ( doesn't effect me, as I don't really use it much)
telescoping steering wheel
electronic seat controls
adjustable lumbar support
daytime running lights
outside air temp guage
water temp guage
traction control

only things that are against it is:
honda has a better reputation for relability
and the fit has better gas mileage

i'll be heading back to the vw dealer on monday
I think im sold

I've had 3 hondas....so for me to get a VW didn't even cross my mind
but a test drive changed that all

the Rabbit is A LOT faster than the fit

Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ More fancy features on a VW means more that can break... and break it will. It does have a decent warranty, so if you don't mind taking them up on their offer, try out the Rabbit.

We're getting our Fit as a daily driver, so fuel efficiency and reliability are top of our list. If features and handling are your preference, then VWs do have that!

Old 07-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dan GSR
I test drove a Rabbit

i'll be heading back to the vw dealer on monday
I think im sold

I've had 3 hondas....so for me to get a VW didn't even cross my mind
but a test drive changed that all

the Rabbit is A LOT faster than the fit
How was the pricing offer on the VW? They giving you anything below msrp? I couldn't get them to go lower than $300 below MSRP ( they also waived dealer prep($385)) Not to mention kbb trade in value for our eclipse was $2420 they were only giving us $2000. I feel like I may not get a great deal with the VW... Do you feel the same way?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Just in case you didn't know the engine is built in Mexico and the car is assembled in Germany.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM
iHardpark
i dont have my fit yet but im always driving to school and with my friends i was in the same pickle as u i like the rabbit also but in real world vw suck they break down alot so id rather go with realible ment to take a beating honda

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
If I add an extended warrenty to the FIT, now the rabbit is only $1,000 more. I wasn't blown away by the acceleration of either car however the vw feels more solid and the independant suspension really holds the road around turns.
shift later! this car accelerates faster as rpm is higher. I htink most hondas do. my bro's s2000 feels slow but once it reaches 5000 i can't breathe.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Get the Civic SI, way faster than the Rabbit, rivals the GTI, thousands cheaper (than the GTI) and better reliability/fuel economy.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 AM
I am in a Pickle. I recently test drove the Honda FIT and also the VW Rabbit. The Fit is so cool with all the seating variations and the low price tag, and the 32-35mpg (realworld). The Rabbit that I like is about $2000 more than the FIT Sport 5spd that I like. the rabbit appears to get 25-28.5 mpg in the real world. The benefit of the rabbit is the incredible way it handles the road, the attention to creature comforts, + 5year drivetrain, 4 year bumper to bumper and 12 yr corrossion resistance warrenties. If I add an extended warrenty to the FIT, now the rabbit is only $1,000 more. I wasn't blown away by the acceleration of either car however the vw feels more solid and the independant suspension really holds the road around turns.

I have never owned a VW. I have my modified honda accord that has over 165k mi on it (which I will be keeping).

I don't think the Fit is "underpowered". This is an economy car. The 109 hp will get you to 80 plenty quick on the freeway. Now, I don't have a lot of hills where I live so it might be different if you live in mountainous terrain, etc. But for flat land the Fit has more than adequate acceleration.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
Get the Civic SI, way faster than the Rabbit, rivals the GTI, thousands cheaper (than the GTI) and better reliability/fuel economy.
I agree I believe motortrend or edmunds did a head to head of the Si and GTi and the Si came out on top so it would definately beat the rabbit with much better reliability and performance.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio
shift later! this car accelerates faster as rpm is higher. I htink most hondas do. my bro's s2000 feels slow but once it reaches 5000 i can't breathe.
who doesnt love revvin the fit past 4k?

Quick Reply: Fit vs. VW Rabbit