Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit vs. VW Rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I traded my 00 Jetta GLS V6 for my Fit and I haven't been sorry for a second. Granted, VW makes some *beautiful* cars, but one of my major issues was my Jetta's bad gas mileage after 6 years (22 MPG average, mostly highway driving). I do miss the leather heated seats sometimes, but the space for adults in the backseat and the reduced pain at the pump make me much happier.

The third month that I had my Jetta, I had to take it to the dealership for a failed transmission. They told me that the car has a very touchy "racecar-like" shifting system. Thankfully, I didn't have other problems after they replaced it. By the six month mark, I had to have it towed because the computer thought there was an emission problem and the engine wouldn't start as a result. I had to have the clips in the back windows replaced four times because they would crack in the South Carolina heat. Funky quirky things that were mostly under warranty, but what a pain!

I'm more than ready for Honda's famous reliability.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by dancingsun
How's the backseat room in the Rabbit?

back seat is awesome
good head and leg room

so after putting a deposit on a fit at two different dealers
then putting a deposit on a rabbit
Today I finally picked up a 2006 VW GTI

LOVE it
I'm glad I went ahead and spent waay more than I had first anticipated
I'm a hot hatchback kind of guy
and the GTI is performance oriented ( aka : sporty)
perfect car for me , and tons of torque compared to my integra LS

Old 07-22-2006, 02:46 AM
thank you to the original poster
if i didn't test drive a rabbit
i would never have considered a vw
and im glad i wasn't able to get the rabbit in the color i wanted
because I got my GTI ,for just a couple more $$ and 0% financing

Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
i was looking at a Fit and was about to buy one then the rabbit came out.

I too bought the rabbit.....

all you nay sayers....drive the f'in car before you dis it. :)

Old 07-25-2006, 12:50 AM
I ordered a Honda Civic SI. I test drove the GTI it is too boxy for me. The SI handles much better and is just as quick, and is cheaper to boot. Reliability should be much better.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by cptseawolf
i was looking at a Fit and was about to buy one then the rabbit came out.

I too bought the rabbit.....

all you nay sayers....drive the f'in car before you dis it. :)
that kind of crazy talk will get you permabanned around here.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:03 AM
VWs?

I bought a gas man-tran Golf in 1999 and I hated it. Drove it for three years. It was super reliable, never broke down. But it couldn't get out of it's own freakin' way. It was underpowered, sluggish, and handled like a minivan. When it snowed in the winter, I couldn't even get it out of my own driveway.

The Golf sucked on gas mileage, barely 25 mpg.

I got a Subarau Outback to solve the winter problem, and got the same mpg as the VW, but with 4WD, way more engine power and accelleration, and huge load capacity. But 25 mpg just doesn't cut it anymore.

So now I'm interested in the Fit--35 mpg, great load capacity, and enough power in the engine to pull what I'm lugging.

I understand the TDIs are great, but I'll never buy another gas VW.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Backseat room is good. I am 6'3 and if I leave the front seat adjusted where I need it to drive comfortably I can still fit in the back comfortably (without re adjusting the seat in front of me). so far the avg fuel milage for my rabbit is 28.5 mpg (3 tanks of gas so far). I love the rabbit. The FIT is still super cool in my eyes.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 PM

:)

Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by scooterboi
But it couldn't get out of it's own freakin' way. It was underpowered, sluggish, and handled like a minivan. When it snowed in the winter, I couldn't even get it out of my own driveway.
I understand the TDIs are great, but I'll never buy another gas VW.

Yes....cause comparing the 2.slow to the 2.5 is a direct comparison?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2.0 was 115hp and 122ft-lbs
2.5 is 150hp and 170ft-lbs

thats 35hp more and 48ft-lbs....

Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Pathetic Gas Mileage

Originally Posted by cptseawolf
Yes....cause comparing the 2.slow to the 2.5 is a direct comparison?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2.0 was 115hp and 122ft-lbs
2.5 is 150hp and 170ft-lbs

thats 35hp more and 48ft-lbs....
The Rabbit gets PATHETIC gas mileage for it's size: 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway are the official numbers from VW. I get better gas mileage in my 4WD Subaru Outback that carries twice as much stuff--through 4 ft. snow drifts!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
The Rabbit gets PATHETIC gas mileage for it's size: 22 mpg city, 30 mpg highway are the official numbers from VW. I get better gas mileage in my 4WD Subaru Outback that carries twice as much stuff--through 4 ft. snow drifts!
The official subaru outback numbers are 22 mpg city, 29 mpg highway :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Pathetic Gas Mileage

Originally Posted by bani
The official subaru outback numbers are 22 mpg city, 29 mpg highway :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You just proved my point. If the Rabbit had 4WD, it's gas/mpg numbers would be 5-8 mpg BELOW the Subaru.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda

Originally Posted by sherifisher
I traded my 00 Jetta GLS V6 for my Fit and I haven't been sorry for a second. Granted, VW makes some *beautiful* cars, but one of my major issues was my Jetta's bad gas mileage after 6 years (22 MPG average, mostly highway driving). I do miss the leather heated seats sometimes, but the space for adults in the backseat and the reduced pain at the pump make me much happier.

The third month that I had my Jetta, I had to take it to the dealership for a failed transmission. They told me that the car has a very touchy "racecar-like" shifting system. Thankfully, I didn't have other problems after they replaced it. By the six month mark, I had to have it towed because the computer thought there was an emission problem and the engine wouldn't start as a result. I had to have the clips in the back windows replaced four times because they would crack in the South Carolina heat. Funky quirky things that were mostly under warranty, but what a pain!

I'm more than ready for Honda's famous reliability.
I have a 2000 Accord C V6 and have a lead foot... sometimes. And I have a Eibach Sport springs, AEM intake, 17" Honda wheels w Proxes 4, Mobile 1 5-30 and even before I switched to Mobile-1 I was and AM getting 32 mph @ 85 mph on the open road.
Honda yeah!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:13 PM
drivetrain:

Originally Posted by Lexcord
I am in a Pickle. I recently test drove the Honda FIT and also the VW Rabbit. The Fit is so cool with all the seating variations and the low price tag, and the 32-35mpg (realworld). The Rabbit that I like is about $2000 more than the FIT Sport 5spd that I like. the rabbit appears to get 25-28.5 mpg in the real world. The benefit of the rabbit is the incredible way it handles the road, the attention to creature comforts, + 5year drivetrain, 4 year bumper to bumper and 12 yr corrossion resistance warrenties. If I add an extended warrenty to the FIT, now the rabbit is only $1,000 more. I wasn't blown away by the acceleration of either car however the vw feels more solid and the independant suspension really holds the road around turns.

I have never owned a VW. I have my modified honda accord that has over 165k mi on it (which I will be keeping).

FIT Owners: Are you still happy with you cars? Or are you getting bored with the drivablity of the underpowered (yet fuel effecient) powerplant?

I was just looking for some other insights from you FIT freaks on your thoughts.
I thought the FIT has a 5 year 60000 mile warranty on the drivetrain. Good quality for the price!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Ford

Originally Posted by mexellent
First of: Si is only thousands cheaper if you get a fully loaded GTI. If you get a standard GTI, the difference isnt too big. Second: The base rabbit is only $14,900. The Si is ~$20,000

As far as reliability goes with VW's, my 1998 Jetta was assembled completely in Mexico, and it has never left me stranded. I dont see why everyone is so scared of things being built in mexico. The germans give the mexicans an set of instructions and the mexicans follow it. And the Mexican built GM's are the highest quality GM's.
Yeah, and FORD has plants in Mexico and that is where the Crown Vic is from?! ...reliability...

Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 PM
You just proved my point. If the Rabbit had 4WD, it's gas/mpg numbers would be 5-8 mpg BELOW the Subaru.
no, you claimed:

I get better gas mileage in my 4WD Subaru Outback
so no, you don't get better gas mileage from your outback.

Last edited by bani; 07-27-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Dan GSR
thank you to the original poster
if i didn't test drive a rabbit
i would never have considered a vw
and im glad i wasn't able to get the rabbit in the color i wanted
because I got my GTI ,for just a couple more $$ and 0% financing
Dan...You're welcome.... nice picture of the GTI btw...

updated info on my fuel milage... we just observed 29.2 mpg mixed driving 90% highway 10% around town. we have been averaging around 28 mpg.. have almost 2000 miles on the car....

Lexcord

Old 08-05-2006, 02:22 AM
By comparing the specs, Fit sounds like it has a more inferior rear solid beam axle design. But if you have driven this car once, you will be really impressed by its handling and steering response even with the solid rear axle.

I doubt the Rabbit can pull a stronger G and have a faster lane change time than Fit.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by prelude318is
By comparing the specs, Fit sounds like it has a more inferior rear solid beam axle design. But if you have driven this car once, you will be really impressed by its handling and steering response even with the solid rear axle.

I doubt the Rabbit can pull a stronger G and have a faster lane change time than Fit.
load the fit and rabbit up with 4 passengers or cargo and see which one still handles better.

Quick Reply: Fit vs. VW Rabbit