Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

What is the best replacement car for a Gen. 6 (1997) Civic Hatchback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I drove and researched heavily the Focus for my Mom. The car is fantastic in every way. It drives better than anything else I have driven in its class, but I couldn't let her pull the trigger on the dry clutch auto. In the end I recommended that she either buy a Focus SE sport (that gives you the best equipment at the lowest cost) with a manual or the Fit Sport with either a manual or auto.

Thinking back to your original post and realizing you are talking auto only as your next car purchase I have to ask if you're ready for that kind of downgrade in acceleration. These 100ish whp cars with an auto are crazy slow. Yes, there are people on here that will talk about how "quick" their auto is, but facts are facts...they are over a second slower in the quarter mile. For those of you non-racers, that is over ten car lengths. To put it in laymens terms, merging onto I-4 with traffic flowing at well over the speed limit will mean WOT for quite some time.

How many miles do you drive a year? The difference between a car that gets 25mpg and an anemic 4 cylinder is negligible if you're driving 10,000 miles a year. My neighbor has a late model Accord that knocks down 30ish mpg and has plenty of power.
Yes, the slower acceleration with an automatic does concern me. After test driving the Fit Automatic I think it is quick enough to merge onto a busy interstate. The problem is when the interstate is not busy. This is why I want an automatic. I4 Orlando is bad enough, but stop-and-go Miami or Tampa traffic is a real pain in the butt with a manual transmission. Remember, the 0-60 time on my Civic was only about 9 seconds, maybe a little more.

Also, on long trips between Orlando and other Florida cities, the Fit is supposed to be quieter with the automatic transmission.

I really wanted to test drive a Focus, but when I read, and then heard firsthand, how Ford treated people when they had problems with their autoshifted-manual transmission, I decided that I just do not need that aggravation.

The Accord crossed my mind, but after renting one last year I would never own one. It was like driving a boat. Big underdamped car. I have not driven a Crosstour, but I have heard from others that handles about the same as an Accord. Moreover, why spend $33,000 on a Crosstour when you can get nicer Lexus CT hybrid for $30,000.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Given the desire for an auto, I'd opt for a 2011 Subaru 2.5 Impreza. It has the torque to make the auto work better. I would NOT want the 2012 Impreza with the CVT. That tells me that Toyota has officially taken over Subaru. There is nothing less enjoyable than a CVT. Have you driven a car that never shifts? It is next to boring.

Per MotorTrend "The five-speed manual remains, though a continuously variable transmission has replaced its four-speed automatic. The car gets up to 36 mpg highway for the CVT, even with the standard all-wheel drive. Problem is, Subaru’s CVT feels like the power-sapper it is, needing 1.4 more seconds to reach 60 mph than the manual."

Keep in mind that highway mileage is based on EPA steady speed tests. If the CVT requires that incredibly longer time to reach 60, it is also soaking up fuel in the process. It is also soaking up any fun that could be had. I'd pass on that one.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 PM
If you look at this youtube posting:
John's Journal - Civic Diesel - YouTube
you will see the this guy is somehow driving this Euro Civic hatchback (diesel) around Detroit.
I guess manufacturers are allowed to drive test cars, prototypes, etc. that do not meet US safety/emissions standards. There is a plate on this car, but you cannot see it all in the video.
I read somewhere that a non-US spec. car can be temporarily driven in the US. However, the allowed time was very short. Also, it may have helped that it was a diesel (as far as emissions.)
Whatever, I am aware that there is no way in hell that I can bring one of these into the US. So please. No replies that it is impossible. I know it is impossible.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Given the desire for an auto, I'd opt for a 2011 Subaru 2.5 Impreza. It has the torque to make the auto work better. I would NOT want the 2012 Impreza with the CVT. That tells me that Toyota has officially taken over Subaru. There is nothing less enjoyable than a CVT. Have you driven a car that never shifts? It is next to boring.

Per MotorTrend "The five-speed manual remains, though a continuously variable transmission has replaced its four-speed automatic. The car gets up to 36 mpg highway for the CVT, even with the standard all-wheel drive. Problem is, Subaru’s CVT feels like the power-sapper it is, needing 1.4 more seconds to reach 60 mph than the manual."

Keep in mind that highway mileage is based on EPA steady speed tests. If the CVT requires that incredibly longer time to reach 60, it is also soaking up fuel in the process. It is also soaking up any fun that could be had. I'd pass on that one.
I actually like the CVT. Some people think it is like driving a car powered by a rubber band, and I can understand that. IMHO they are very smooth, quiet, and efficient. Some F1 team tried them in the early '90s very successfully. So successfully that F1 banned them about 1995.

Anyway, the 2012 Impreza is not on sale yet. And, as I have previously stated, because they will be in short supply, dealers will mark them up through the wazoo.

Looks like it is going to be the Fit.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
CVT's are loud and awful though....Even David Coulthard hated the CVT when he did a test with it in the Williams in 1993 or 1994, mainly for the sound.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
CVT's are loud and awful though....Even David Coulthard hated the CVT when he did a test with it in the Williams in 1993 or 1994, mainly for the sound.
Yeah, that was it... Williams.

They are loud when accelerating, especially full throttle, for obvious reasons. Happened when I drove the Lexus CT and especially the Insight. However, under normal conditions they are very quiet. Would not think that you would get a lot of gear whine with a CVT.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
As far as CVT's go, I have driven golf carts, tractors, my current atv and others, a Subaru Justy, a Nissan Maxima, a Nissan Murano, a Ford 500, and a Suzuki 650 Burgman scooter. The CVT in the scooter was the only one I enjoyed, but I wouldn't want my friends to see me doing it :) There's joke there for others with bad taste in humor :)