Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Ford Focus ST First Look - Worthy Opponent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I think that's pretty cool that manufacturers are willing to compete with the golf-r and mazadahspeedo3

Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by ohw
Not so good – very poor throttle response, slow reacting auto tranny (the combination of these two things killed it for me, I do not want one)
I see things haven't changed much for the Focus despite the redesign lol...

Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just noticed that Forza 4 has the 2013 Focus ST up as DLC now. Haven't had a chance to get it yet. Incase anyone wanted an "early test drive" lol.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Replace the Fit? Never.

Worthy of a test drive and scaring the piss out of a car salesman? Heck yes.

I just need GoPro...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Replace the Fit? Never.

Worthy of a test drive and scaring the piss out of a car salesman? Heck yes.

I just need GoPro...
I love the way you think lmao

Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
So i was just checking out the new 2012 Ford Focus ST and I have to say it is pretty bad ass with over 250hp and around 250ftlb tq...it is definitely up there on my list of tempting trade in options.... what does everyone else think??

2012 Ford Focus ST First Look - Motor Trend

Ford parts

More images in the link :)
Competition is always seen between this two manufacturer but Focus ST is kindda different thing. This combines style, reliability and performance. But there's nothing that can beat the fuel economy honda possessed. Most ford cars are actually using similar engines and some of them aren't that efficient.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by vinnymac
Ford and a few other American cars are making leaps and bounds with the quality of their vehicles. Watch out everybody!
I'm on a few-weeks work trip, and driving a rented Ford Fusion. There are a few things I don't like about the car (auto transmission, for one, and the controls aren't intuitive... it's also a bit softly sprung, and the seat height is ridiculous - I don't want to sit like a kitchen chair in the car, looking down over the dash like a laptop computer), but the car feels very well built. All the interior surfaces are well finished, and Ford seems to realize that not everyone driving their cars is a 5'9 shorty with size 10 feet!

The car is very easy to drive, though. It's a breeze to park, even parallel parking in the city or squeezing into small garage spaces (I'm in DC at the moment)... Not that one would expect a car this size to be a hassle... Anyway, the biggest issue I have is the auto tranny... it seems very reluctant to downshift, and with 3300 lbs being hauled around by a 175 hp 4-banger, there's no room for lazy shifting, and it can't be overriden with manual controls. There's no way to knock it out of overdrive manually, just an "L" position on the shifter that brings a series of ill timed, unpredictable downshifts. The brakes are a bit mushy as well.

Otherwise, a pleasant enough car. I was offered an Aveo at first (I had a reservation for a "compact") but was able to talk my way into a Fusion at no extra cost. THe option combo has power, heated leather seats, climate control, SYNC, etc... but no sunroof, and quite possibly the tinniest stereo I've ever heard.

Still, aside from the minor niggles with the control layout (which, incidentally, is more the American 'tradition' of controls rather than the Japanese tradition... twist the signal stalk for wipers, headlights on the dash, crusie control on the left side of the wheel, etc.), it's a nice car, and pleasant enough for a vanilla midsizer. Nothing exciting about it in any way, but people don't expect an exciting experience from a midsize sedan.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind that is the base model Fusion. Dometics vary greatly from one trim package to another. The 3.5 Sport Fusion has completely different interior, suspension, brakes, etc. Not to mention double the power.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Keep in mind that is the base model Fusion. Dometics vary greatly from one trim package to another. The 3.5 Sport Fusion has completely different interior, suspension, brakes, etc. Not to mention double the power.
This is the SEL, not the base (S) or midgrade (SE). The trim is quite nice for the most part... the suspension, tires, transmission profile... yeah, its very much economy and comfort over performance. I've gotten used to the tC with very firm suspension, low profile tires, and the instant response of the manual transmission. Honestly, the laggish (is that a word?) response from the transmission probably colors my impression of all other aspects.

The seating position is a little high... it seem they are catering to peole who have gotten used to driving around in SUVs, with tall seating and as low a dash and windowsills as possible. Its all fine for someone who is used to an Explorer or Escape, but I love sitting low... But then, even the Civic now seems to have that upright position instead of the low seating of yesteryear (damn boomers with their bad knees!!!) The lateral support is lacking, no doubt thanks to the girth of Americans these days. Not as bad as the Fit, but close!

This is night and day better than the Focus I rented in 2010, the Cobalt I rented in '06, or Grand Prix I rented in 2003.