Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Had a chuckle ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Had a chuckle ...

When I read about the new Chevrolet Cruze wagon!

I knew it wouldn't be coming to the US, but the Euro-wagon versions of already decent cars are usually pretty awesome. For example, the Focus actually has a wagon form in addition to the hatch - if you remember the first Focus generation with the wagon and hatch being different models in the US, you get the idea. In fact in Europe they will make a Focus ST Wagon. How cool is that?

But to be clear, I like the Cruze. I sat in it at the NE auto show and it was a bit cramped but pretty comfy, and if you ask me it looks extremely good - better than the Fit or Civic. It won an Autoblog eco-carp comparo vs the Civic Hybrid and Jetta TDI, because it was pretty efficient, more fun than the (heavier) base Cruze and cheaper than the competition. Similar to the Sonic, I think it shows GM "gets it" finally that if they want people to stop thinking their low-end cars are crap, they have to design not-crap cars.

But what made me laugh is this. They've taken what will be in Europe considered a midsize car, and one which is on the larger side of midsize. Then they've made it a wagon to give it extra space. And it now has less cargo space, up or down, than the Fit. Hehe.

Did I get the math wrong on cargo space? Let me know if so :)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Wagon

Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 AM
I dig wagons.
Don't like this car's rear light clusters though. They look too Korean car-ish. I guess the Daewoo is hard to shake off. Looks promising. The more diesel engines the better too.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
The cubic ft is correct the funny thing is it is longer than a Elantra Touring but has 15 less cubic feet of cargo room.

I like wagons. Was originally looking at the VW Sportwagen TDI about 66 cubic ft of cargo room but when you read the TDIClub Forum did not give you much confidence in reliability.

The Chevy sounds like a US car the Focus is larger then the GTI but has less interior room.