Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Help?

I have a 2003 Honda Civic, 61,000 miles. <--- Super low, I know! :D

I'm in the market to buy a new Fit.

I'm trying to get my car to the highest resale value as I possibly can.

But I have a few questions: (opinions, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!)
1. My headlights aren't as bright as they used to be. Would it be better to replace them with new ones, or just try to buff them out (yellowness) and replace the bulbs?

2. My lining on the roof is sagging a bit, near the windshield. It's not horrible, but I know it throws people off. Replace the whole thing or just use some spray adhesive?

3. Exactly how hard is it to replace the windshield washer fluid hose? I called my local Honda dealership and they said I'd have to bring in the car to see what exactly is wrong with it. I know there's a hole in it, but don't know the extent of it.

I also have a 'check engine' light on, but forgot the code. I'd have to get it checked and ask you guys on what I should do with it. I think it has something to do with the gas tank. I don't know, I forget sometimes when people tell me things. LOL.

THANKS! AND SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM
It really depends on how the dealership your going to go through assesses trade value. When I traded in my Kia Optima for my Fit a few weeks ago they didn't even start the car. Just wrote down the VIN and the mileage. Id do a little scouting on the dealership before you go putting money into something your going to trade in. Save it for mods on the fit

Old 05-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_Beast12
It really depends on how the dealership your going to go through assesses trade value. When I traded in my Kia Optima for my Fit a few weeks ago they didn't even start the car. Just wrote down the VIN and the mileage. Id do a little scouting on the dealership before you go putting money into something your going to trade in. Save it for mods on the fit
how did they give you for your trade in? if you dont mind me asking...

is it myth that if you trade in a car brand for the same car brand, they give you a bit more for it? I had heard it from someone, but don't think it's entirely true. LOL.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 PM
They gave me three grand for it. Which was more than it was worth. Especially since the clutch was going out.

Some dealerships do things like that but the one I went to had an "overstock" sale. I paid bluebook for my Fit and got more for my trade than it was worth.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fit_Beast12
They gave me three grand for it. Which was more than it was worth. Especially since the clutch was going out.

Some dealerships do things like that but the one I went to had an "overstock" sale. I paid bluebook for my Fit and got more for my trade than it was worth.
Wow, that's pretty good for a Kia. I think mine is valued at 4,500, according to KBB, that is.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah it was an amazing deal. I was still making payments on the Kia too so they had to pay it off haha.

Like I said I would just save the money on the maintenance on the old car for upgrades on the new car. New headlights aren't going to mean anything to the dealership.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do. I only put on new tires cause it was finally time to do so.

I plan on going friday and seeing what they say :>

Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Are you looking to trade in at the dealer, or sell to a private party? You'll generally be able to get more money via a private party sale, though of course with more work and hassle.

For a private party sale, I'd definitely glue up the headliner (spray adhesive should be sufficient if done properly) and probably investigate the washer hose. Hose in bulk should be pretty cheap at an auto parts store; if you can suss out where it goes through the car, it would be inexpensive to replace, but perhaps involve a little of your time.

I don't think I'd bother with the headlights provided they aren't unsafe and the bulbs are working. If the buyer complains about them, you can knock some off the price to compensate, and be no worse off than if you had spent the money yourself—and if it's unimportant to the buyer, you'll be better off.

For a dealer, I don't know that I'd bother with any of these—certainly not the washer hose, as I highly doubt they'd take a look at that, and probably not the others. If they don't expect a ten year old trade in to have a few minor issues, they'll be going out of business pretty quickly.

In either case, I would take the time to get the car clean and looking as sharp as reasonably possible.

(A dealer may give you a bit more for their brand of car, especially if they're going to resell it themselves, as most people would go to a Honda dealership for a used Honda before they'd go to, say, a Ford dealership. If they're thinking to sell it at auction, it likely makes less of a difference.)

Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
Are you looking to trade in at the dealer, or sell to a private party? You'll generally be able to get more money via a private party sale, though of course with more work and hassle.

For a private party sale, I'd definitely glue up the headliner (spray adhesive should be sufficient if done properly) and probably investigate the washer hose. Hose in bulk should be pretty cheap at an auto parts store; if you can suss out where it goes through the car, it would be inexpensive to replace, but perhaps involve a little of your time.

I don't think I'd bother with the headlights provided they aren't unsafe and the bulbs are working. If the buyer complains about them, you can knock some off the price to compensate, and be no worse off than if you had spent the money yourself—and if it's unimportant to the buyer, you'll be better off.

For a dealer, I don't know that I'd bother with any of these—certainly not the washer hose, as I highly doubt they'd take a look at that, and probably not the others. If they don't expect a ten year old trade in to have a few minor issues, they'll be going out of business pretty quickly.

In either case, I would take the time to get the car clean and looking as sharp as reasonably possible.

(A dealer may give you a bit more for their brand of car, especially if they're going to resell it themselves, as most people would go to a Honda dealership for a used Honda before they'd go to, say, a Ford dealership. If they're thinking to sell it at auction, it likely makes less of a difference.)
I wanna trade it in, because I wanna be able to put that toward a new Fit. But I don't wanna get screwed over either. I think a ten year old car with 61,000 miles on it is pretty good. I plan on going Friday to my dealership and working something out. If they give me good money for it, we can talk numbers. If not, then I'll have to try some other time. It's the huge dent on the side of my car that worries me in resale value D:<