Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Transmission differences, help a newbie out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Transmission differences, help a newbie out.

If a CVT is continuously variable transmission and that means it's always picking the best gear ratio and DCT is dual clutch transmission which is basically for even faster smoother shifting than manual transmissions then what is its combination benefits.

If an automatic car had DCVVT (dual continuous variable valve timing) transmission is it better for paddles or is the manual better? Will the paddles shift faster and will the engine rev more efficiently?

Furthermore if you know, does modifying it require more connections with electronics?

If anyone can help me out with finding answers that would be great!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 PM
I think DCVVT refers to the engine, not the transmission—changing the timing on the intake and exhaust valves.

Unless you're manually shifting really quickly and maniacally, a decent automatic should probably be able to actually change into a new gear range more quickly than a manual. There is often somewhat of a delay between you asking the automatic to shift and it actually doing the shift, though.

As to which one gives better gas mileage, that depends on a lot of variables. A manual or a DCT transmission should have the lowest parasitic power losses, I think, while a CVT is able to keep the engine RPM at the most efficient spot for the power required (though not many do this too precisely). On the Fit, things are further complicated by the manuals having a rather different overall top gear ratio than the automatic or CVT transmissions. Much of this pales in comparison to much more basic things that affect mileage like how fast you drive and how frequently you need to stop and how long your trips are.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
I think DCVVT refers to the engine, not the transmission—changing the timing on the intake and exhaust valves.

Unless you're manually shifting really quickly and maniacally, a decent automatic should probably be able to actually change into a new gear range more quickly than a manual. There is often somewhat of a delay between you asking the automatic to shift and it actually doing the shift, though.

As to which one gives better gas mileage, that depends on a lot of variables. A manual or a DCT transmission should have the lowest parasitic power losses, I think, while a CVT is able to keep the engine RPM at the most efficient spot for the power required (though not many do this too precisely). On the Fit, things are further complicated by the manuals having a rather different overall top gear ratio than the automatic or CVT transmissions. Much of this pales in comparison to much more basic things that affect mileage like how fast you drive and how frequently you need to stop and how long your trips are.
It's the transmission of the car for sure. I just don't understand what the combination of a dual clutch and a CVT together mean for the engine and it's auto transmission. Does this allow as fast acceleration as a manual because of dual clutch and "perfect" rev points?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Newbiefitfreak
It's the transmission of the car for sure. I just don't understand what the combination of a dual clutch and a CVT together mean for the engine and it's auto transmission. Does this allow as fast acceleration as a manual because of dual clutch and "perfect" rev points?

You seem to be attempting to blend the acronyms DCT and CVT, those are two vastly different transmission technologies and they are not combined together by any auto manufacturer on the planet at this time.

DCVVT stands for Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing. (Google it if you need to.)
It has nothing to do with the transmission.
The acronym is not used by Honda.

HTH

Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
this thread is funny..

Old 11-01-2015, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Well, mine's got a VVTec with an MDS, a SCSI ECU and TCM and a minimum of eight other TLAs.