Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit VS Hybrid: comparison after trade in.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Fit VS Hybrid: comparison after trade in.....

I just traded my fit (with 14,000 miles) for nearly what I paid for it, and used the difference to purchase another highly sought after, but very short in supply vehicle, the new CiviC Hybrid. The twin cities dealer told me that the waiting list for the Fit was already extended into June of Next Year. That makes the fit a hot property, and allowed me to move up to another interesting vehicle.
I just returned from a 600 mile road trip. My impressions in comparison to the fit...
1:the Fit handles much, much better in the twisties, but is very hampered by cross winds.
2: the CiviC feels faster...(except around corners) and is much, much better in high winds.
1: the fit's 5 spd auto is great on the highway, but sucks the petro in town.
2: the Hybrid's CVT is great, great, great. It always seems to have the right gearing in town and delivers low RPM's on the highway.
1: The fit's interior space is incredible. And the quality is much above the competition.
2: The hybrid has a gorgeous interior, but very little cargo room. It does have tons of little storage nooks around the the driver's seat. The arm rest extends, or opens to a CD storage compartment with yet another power outlet. And that two-tone beige dash is incredible to look at while numbers give you up to date outside temp, gas mileage, and other engine info in real time.
1: The fit (auto sport) got good gas mileage...in the 30's, but was very dependent on driving style versus the Civic. It has a ten gallon gas tank.
2: The Hybrid....delivered 44MGP on the first tank of mostly highway driving, and gets even better city MPG than highway by using the electric motor a lot more in the city. It's rated at 49 City, 51 Hwy, and hopefully with break-in of the engine will improve. It has a 12 gallon gas tank and a much farther cruising range.
1: The Fit has a 200 watt 6 speaker stereo was that I was happy with.
2: The Civic's 160 watt 6 speaker stereo somehow sounds richer, definately more bass, but maybe it just sounds better to me because the car is so much quieter.
1: I love the look of the hybrid, period.
2: The Fit was loved my some and hated my some. How come it seems that the over seas honda's always look sportier??
1: Fit is more expensive than others in the same class but you get what you pay for.
2: Civic Hybrid is most expensive Civic, but that 2100 dollar tax credit will sure help out in April.
Tip: I replaced my fit name plate with the Jazz name plate (from collegehillshonda.com). Everyone who asked about my honda Jazz, was surprised that it was called the fit, and thought the jazz name sounded much better. One guy thought that I imported a European Jazz, even though he said he had seen the new fit before. Go Figure??

My 2 cents.... the fit is an awesome chassis in need of some more ponies. The Hybrid is a techno toy with lots of bells and whistles, but takes corners likes Grandma's buick.

Last edited by watchful one; 10-19-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Always nice to see a comparison like this just for curiosity's sake, but you'd have saved more money over the long run having kept the Fit w/ the lower mileage than buying the hybrid with the higher. And you would have had more fun driving it too. (not a flame by any means)

Old 10-19-2006, 03:39 AM
thanks for that cool review.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 AM
How much did they give you for the Fit?

Old 10-20-2006, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
A few months ago I tried to buy the 2006 Civic Hybrid but they were selling it for at least $4640+ more than the Civic LX sedan with AT. Plus I didn't qualify for ANY tax break.

So if I don't drive that many miles per year, I get to drive about 9 years before the hybrid can pay for itself in gas saved at $3 a gallon.

Civic Hybrid doesn't have:
Fold down rear seat
60/40 split rear seat
Rear seat cup holders
Rear seat armrest
Power Moonroof
Four wheel disc brakes
standard 13.2 gallon gas tank- it's smaller 12.3 gallons
Lighter weight- it's the heaviest at 2875 pounds

Civic Hybrid does have:
One of the best Honda exclusive colors- Opal Silver Blue Metallic

2007 Honda Civic Compact Sedan