Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Why the Fit over the Civic? ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by GoFits
So, you guys don't get the Honda City?
That's probably good cause it's pretty darn ugly....
No we don't get the City (sold as the Fit Aria in Japan) at all. We are lucky we get the range we do given the market size. Not even 1 million new cars are sold annually in Australia across all makes and models but then we are only 19 million people in a land mass greater than the entire USA. The Jazz sells about 800 units a month Australia wide.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I chose the Fit over the Civic because it was a different-looking and more "fun" car. The adaptability of the "Magic Seats" helped, too :)

People say the Civic is the superior car, but I test drove two and felt so old and bored driving them. I'm not a huge fan of the redesign, either.

They're both good cars, though, so I'd say go for whichever one fits your needs best - good luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JessW1982
I chose the Fit over the Civic because it was a different-looking and more "fun" car. The adaptability of the "Magic Seats" helped, too :)

People say the Civic is the superior car, but I test drove two and felt so old and bored driving them. I'm not a huge fan of the redesign, either.
You felt "old and bored"! Are you young or older?:confused:
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Sounds like you were driving a Buick or Cadillac not a Civic.;) :)

Hey, want young and vibrant- try the Civic Si.

The Fit is definitely more fun to drive. Appearance wise the Civic coupe and Fit are both pretty modern looking.

Not sure if I could say that the Civic is the "superior" car, it would depend on what criteria. I would say that if you adjusted each for the cost to the consumer they are on par with each other. No price gouging allowed.:mad:

Old 11-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit

I'm 24. I don't know why the car made me feel old driving it - it was strange. Maybe I just like "quirkier" cars, and driving the Fit "fit" that mold better. It might have been that beige interior, too. And, the fact that I just wanted a Fit so badly that I didn't want to settle had something to do with it, too, LOL :P

But, if the Fit wasn't available, I'd most likely be driving a Civic, anyways. It was my first choice until I learned of the Fit.

My best friend drives a '97 Buick that she got free from her aunt - kind of an old person's car, but it's filled with so many amenities that I'm jealous she got to drive it for free (except for her crazy insurance bills) - radio/cassette/CD player, leather seats, lighted and heated mirrors.

I was drooling over the SI the last time I was at the dealership; they had one in the showroom, and it looked so sexy. I almost wanted to buy it, lol.

The Fit is definitely more fun to drive. Appearance wise the Civic coupe and Fit are both pretty modern looking.
I definitely prefer the look of the redesigned Civic coupe to the sedan. They are quite modern-looking.

Not sure if I could say that the Civic is the "superior" car, it would depend on what criteria. I would say that if you adjusted each for the cost to the consumer they are on par with each other. No price gouging allowed.:mad:
I guess those people who think it's superior are looking solely at the numbers, specs and included accessories, not the purposes and needs of particular car-buyers who are drawn to cars in the segment.

Price-gouging sucks, and I think that's a definite advantage that the Civic has over the Fit, though with demand on the Civic being fairly high, it might not be exactly easy to get a good price. Not as difficult as the Fit, though, by any means.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Another, random advantage the Fit has over the Civic - if you ever go into a major city, it's easier to parallel park it, or fit into a parking space neglected by most other cars. I think it might be a psychological thing with me, though - I feel more secure parking it since it's so small.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Another, random advantage the Fit has over the Civic - if you ever go into a major city, it's easier to parallel park it, or fit into a parking space neglected by most other cars. I think it might be a psychological thing with me, though - I feel more secure parking it since it's so small.
I've driven both and the FIT is just plain easier to park, period.

I can park anything forwards backwards or sideways but it requires more effort to park a Civic sedan due to the high trunk lid and not knowing exactly where your bumper is. Rear parking sensors were a consideration for my wife. But we never got them. Adding a rear trunk spoiler might have helped see the end of the car but that's not cheap either.

My daughter likes parking the FIT. She says it's easy.

The Fit sport is pretty decked out with extras- it's not spartan. Buicks are known for luxury. You can always add custom leather for your seats it's not that expensive- just shop around and you can pick the grade of leather and color.

That old buick can't play MP3 disks or WMA format CDs. I'd rather have the modern Fit stereo plus you can plug in an IPOD in the auxillary jack. Can't do that with an older Buick. No cassette player in the FIT! Leave those at home I guess.:(

Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Fit vs Civic

I went to the Honda dealer to look at Civic's, I'd owned a '90 CRX Si, and was replacing my '00 Ford Explorer. The Si was fun to drive, handled great and held more than enough for 2 persons(including golf clubs) for a trip. A job necessitating all weather transport in western NC and seating and room for a foursome led to the Explorer. I'm away from the mountains now and if it snows I can now stay home. Wanted something "practical" yet with room for clubs and short trips for 2. The Civic I drove felt spongy and sluggish and handled poorly, my son pointed to the Fit Sport at the dealership and said "hey try the Fit", I did and it "Fits". Took a few weeks to locate just what I wanted, but I love my Milano Red Fit Sport 5sp M/T. I've had a foursome for short trips clubs and all, its really better for 2 or 3. The versitility of the seating is great the fuel economy is great. Not as hot as the old CRX Si, but still fun to drive. Just got an I-Pod Shuffle and love the Aux plug, 240 of my favorite tunes on a Postage Stamp. Life is good!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
In my previous car (a foot longer than the Fit) I once parked in the only spot available on a busy street, cursing my lack of skill at parallel parking -- until I got out and wondered why the cars ahead and behind had parking meters and I didn't.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Reasons to buy the Fit. Btw, I've never owned a Honda until the Fit so I really have no comparison info.

1. Storage abilities.

2. It's HOT and hard to find.

3. Looks like a space ship (yes I'm a big dork).

4. Paddle shifters, if your into the AT thing that is.

-C-

Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by IUsedToHaveANissanPickUp
I am with the two above me!!

:D
Hey heY HEYYY NOW, please keep your sex life OUT of this!

:D :p :cool:

Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM
The new civic

Originally Posted by MINI-Fit

All I had to do is drive the Fit and sit in the new Civic. The ease of getting in and out of the Fit is so much superior. I am 6' 1" and just like the Prelude the Civic and to a lesser extent the new Accord I have to duck my head because of the lower profile. Am sure the Civic SI is a lot of fun to drive... but if you are looking for phenominal interior space for the size of the car and the ease of getting in and out: the Fit is superior even to the Toyota line.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
With an automatic, the Civic provides much better performance. I probably would have had a more favorable evaluation of the Fit if I'd driven the manual Sport rather than the automatic.

As others have said, the prices aren't as close when you equip the Civic like the Fit, as the latter has much more standard. I've developed a way to quickly and thoroughly compare car prices.

Vehicle price comparisons

Differences are given both before and after adjusting for feature differences. Site members (membership is free) can input their own feature values based on what they'd actually pay for the features.

Finally, I would not be so sure about the reliability of the Civic. I currently have data on 31 2006 Civics, and the results are significantly higher than for other Hondas, about one trip to the shop per year. (The 2006 Accord is about 0.4, the 2006 Odyssey 0.2.)

CR gives the new Civic a better reliability rating, but they ask owners to only report those problmes they FEEL were SERIOUS. Way too subjective. The problems Civic owners have reported to me generally aren't serious, but who wants rattles, squeaks, warped interior trim, a leaking steering column, bad ABS sensors, etc.?

Not that these problems are widespread--we are still talking about a single repair trip per car per year, on average--but they are much more common than for other Hondas I'm collecting data on.

I'm not collecting data on the Fit yet. I'll start when I have a few more enrolled. Details:

Vehicle reliability research

Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 AM
its simple fit > civic

Old 12-12-2006, 03:16 AM
if it was between the Civic DX,LX, or EX i would take the Fit
but if i had a choice with Si or Fit..well..it would be a tough choice depending on my needs