Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I'm really tempted to run 0w40 Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 in ours. They both meet the VW 502 spec and Walmart carries them. Considerably less expensive than other options.
Wallyworld has 0W40 Mobil 1 for $22 & there is a $12 rebate from Mobil 1. You can do two 5 quart jugs per rebate.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Good heads up!

I was just reading up on the rebate and Walmart isn't listed as a participating retailer. Wonder if they would reject the rebate request? I just bought a jug of Mobil1 Extended Performance yesterday for my Lincoln.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Wally isn't listed, but they do honor the rebate. I've done this & received it. I plan to do it again.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
My old habit was 3,000 mile oil changes. Now I do it every 5,000 miles so I'm slowly changing with the times. A DIY oil change only costs me $35 & sometimes less when I catch a good sale so for me it's cheap insurance. Doesn't seem like a lot of cash too me, plus I can afford it. My oil is recycled so there is no environmental damage from my oil changes. I generally keep my cars 10 years & put 150,000+ on them. When I sell a car having a service log showing 5,000 mile changes always helps me get a good price. Now that I'm retired my yearly mileage is down from what it was. I'm most likely to move into a MK7 in the next year so this GTI won't have high miles when I sell it.
get the R! GTI is meh vs the R.. i speak from experience. :D

Old 10-06-2017, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Good heads up!

I was just reading up on the rebate and Walmart isn't listed as a participating retailer. Wonder if they would reject the rebate request? I just bought a jug of Mobil1 Extended Performance yesterday for my Lincoln.
amazon also had those jugs for like $24 at one time. bought a couple and did the rebate awhile back. i hate going to walmart. not the store but the people that shop there lol.. women with beards and stuff

Old 10-06-2017, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
get the R! GTI is meh vs the R.. i speak from experience. :D
What is a meh? I will buy one once your cash for the difference arrives here. ;) The GTI is one fine car, I'm sure the R is better. But a fine car is OK with me.

There is no reason to go to WallyWorld for your oil. I hate that place too so I buy it online & the oil is shipped to me.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
my GTI autobahn is nice but to get it to where it is, i spent about $4500+. not quite at the price of the R but close. and with the R one can drive stock and be completely happy with it. well, if u get a MT definitely mod the gas pedal for heel and toe, but that only costs like $60.

yah i hate shopping at discount stores too. i like the store, but i hate the shoppers

Old 10-07-2017, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
I'd never add that much worth of mod$ to my GTI. Stock is OK with me. To tell the truth I had to add a RSB to make me happy with the handling. I also sold my Detroit wheels & tires & replaced them with some 17" wheels & tires. Rides nice & the rims don't get bent by hitting the odd pot hole.

I would much rather have a nice R rather than a highly modded GTI. Trouble is an R is way too spendy for me.

My Mini Cooper S was modded pretty good. This time around I unpimped my ride. ;)

Old 10-08-2017, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
cool MINI! those R53's were very cool indeed.

you should be able to find a MK7 R for cheap since the MK7.5's are starting to roll up at the dealers, i think. the 2018's have a new facia and new cluster.. i knew about the 7.5's but i much preferred the MK7 R's facia and analog gauges (im old skool too) so grabbed the white one i could find locally with MT before it was gone.

the MK7.5 GTI's facia looks better than the one i got i think, not that mine is ugly.. but if i was to do it again, i would not get the GTI. im still kicking myself for not getting the S3 since my GTI is also DSG. i just wanted to try DSG to decide if i could live with electronic clutch on higher performance cars like the GT-R. and result is NO. lol

Old 10-08-2017, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
It will be a while before I change cars, but I like to think ahead & know which way I'm going. The S3 is a great car, but not being a hatch makes it a no go for me. That & it's price.

Right now I'm looking hard at a Golf Alltrack. I think it will suit my needs very well. Less power than I have now, but it does have a DSG which I like very much. A good snow car along with a back road gravel road car. I have yet to drive one, but I've kicked the tires in the showroom & I like what I see.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
We test drove an Alltrack and probably would have bought it if we didn't test drive the Golf.

The Alltrack rides a bit stiffer, but doesn't handle quite as well. You would think that the increased ride height would have allowed them to have a more compliant suspension, but I think they went a different way and used stiffer springs to help bring back some of the handling lost due to the higher center of gravity.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a drastic difference. Just a difference.

Also, have to go to the SE version of the AllTrack to get the features that came in our Wolfsburg and it's about $8k more.

We also test drove a new 2015 SportWagen tdi. Now that was a smooth ride! We were very tempted by that one!

We basically decided we wanted a SportWagen SE the most, but none were available and the wife didn't want to wait. The Golf is basically the same thing just slightly shorter.

Once you add the Audi models it's truly amazing how many variants there are on this same chassis. All have their merits and have good reason to exist in the market place.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-08-2017, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT- I like the SE, but that big sunroof is a no-go for me. Sun always coming through even with the shade closed. I drove a previous gen Tiguan & really disliked the sunroof, it's the same style used on the Alltrack.

I'm sure the Alltack gives up some handling to the Golf. Life's a compromise. The inch or so extra bit of ground clearance would be worth it to me.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Completely agree about the sunroof. The light penetrating through the roof is horrible even on our Golf. I get zero in any other car I've owned.

Golf goes in to the tint shop on 10/17. I will discuss options with him at the time. Will black vinyl it ourselves if he doesn't have a better option.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
dang.. the sunroof shade on my GTI has yet to bother me. i assumed vw used the same glass and shade on the golf and GTI..? not sure.

and yah, black vinyl is a great approach.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Went with a dark tint on my wife's MINI sunroof. Wish I'd gone even darker. We used a ceramic tint & it really helps keep the heat down.

MY GTI was tinted by the first owner. It is darker than what is on my wife's car, but doesn't reject the heat as much. I don't believe it is ceramic tint.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
yah, regular tint is obviously better than nothing, but i know wat you mean vs ceramic tint. my GTI runs ceramic tint and when i take my R out (no tint), wow HUGE!! difference in how much heat i feel from the sun on my arm and face!

i might end up getting tint on my R later on. it's ridiculous how much difference in heat there is inside the cabin..

Old 10-09-2017, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think your R sees much sun, but tint also helps preserve the cars interior. Those same rays degrade plastics and interior trim.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
yah, my R is garaged. more like me not wanting to get a farmer's tan on my one arm and one side of face.. lol

ceramic tint is probably the best way to preserve ur interior besides garage.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
I was always amazed at what they found to bill for. Shop supplies, disposal fees, etc. Unless they've changed, oil changes are handled by the service department and are billed as such. ...
Another Dealer oil change coupon arrived in the mail today and it absolutely confirms your suspicions. The special price includes "Up to 5 Qts. Synthetic Oil" and 'Fees, Tax and Shop Supplies are not included". I'd need almost 6 QT and would be socked with supplemental charges.

So, yep, the Wolfsburg's first oil change will definitely take place in my garage.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 10-11-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg