Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think it helps that none of us are probably hardcore VW nor Golf fans, rather just fans of fun cars.. and coincidentally chose Golfs and met here. :D

Old 12-03-2017, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
This is a very nice corner of the internet for us Golfer's. ;-) Nice & civil here unlike the 31 page thread on a VW site arguing about what transmission is better.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
At least with modern vehicles we are mostly choosing between good options and picking the one we like the best.

I grew up in the '80's where we got to choose between auto's that self destructed every 30k miles under hard use or manuals that grenaded as soon as we made a "good" hard shift.

My voyage into the 10's with a street car back in the early 90's was an exercise in seeing which, if any, transmission would last a month.

My old buddies are now able to run 7's with about the same effort/money and we're all able to daily drive fun cars that don't self implode.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
right, there is no denying that the DSG Golfs are considerably faster than its MT variant. its like you have to go out of your way to really want the MT version.

i actually enjoy driving my DSG GTI during my commute and running errands. so easy. like after a morning drive in my STI or R, i dont feel like driving MT any more rest of the day and usually pull out my GTI or even the GK. makes sense.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
This is a very nice corner of the internet for us Golfer's. ;-) Nice & civil here unlike the 31 page thread on a VW site arguing about what transmission is better.
Right on -- that's a classic example of what I find out there. In another case, I expressed dismay that a VW cash incentive had expired and a fellow then expressed his opinion that if I was worried about losing $1,000, I couldn't afford to buy our Golf. I wonder if he's as maladjusted and impolite in person? I think some of these loudmouths spend far more time behind their keyboard than behind the wheel or under the hood.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 12-04-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
huh.. how much are the wolfsburg Golfs again?

Old 12-04-2017, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Ours was a little under $20k with the auto. Would be a little cheaper with a manual.

I see $1,000 as important no matter what. Heck...I make sure that the cashier scans the one dollar coupon on the misc grocery item if there is one. I guess I'm cheap.

That being said, I'm not going to nickel and dime a dealer or spend an afternoon haggling. However, I do love some good rebates/financing specials.

Last edited by GAFIT; 12-04-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Ours was a little under $20k with the auto. Would be a little cheaper with a manual.

I see $1,000 as important no matter what. Heck...I make sure that the cashier scans the one dollar coupon on the misc grocery item if there is one. I guess I'm cheap.

That being said, I'm not going to nickel and dime a dealer or spend an afternoon haggling. However, I do love some good rebates/financing specials.
Perfectly said GAFIT.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
No sense in wasting money. My father told me it doesn't grow on trees & it took a while to sink in, but he was right.

There is a local dealer selling 2017 GTI S models with DSG for $21,000. Although no LSD, big brakes or PP engine. As of yesterday they still had 4 of them in various colors. I'm sort of tempted, but I think I man go Alltrack if I buy at all.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
After having my truck repaired and on the road again running strong, I feel much more content in my decision to keep it for a while longer. That's an enticing price on a GTI S. When the time comes, I probably won't go Autobahn, but I think the SE would be perfect for me and with a 2018 comes the Six Year/72000 Mile Bumper-To-Bumper warranty. I'm in no hurry.

Amen on wasting money. I'm just naturally frugal and am blessed to be married to a woman who's much the same.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 12-04-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT that's a bargain. good buy!

yah i'm not those daily $5 latte + snack at starbucks kinda guy either. i spend where i spend but don't spend at all on silly things like an over priced 5 min of glory.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
wats funny is when i was in nashville the other day on a biz trip, i found a gift shop closer to the baggage claim area where they sold water for $2.49 vs $3.99 at the food court. i was real happy cause i dont eat at the airport usually unless im waiting for a connecting flight.

considering how much i spend on my car hobby that might sound a bit silly saving $1.50, but then again, i dont spend where i dont want to spend. hahaha

Old 12-08-2017, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT your thread is dead.. no updates?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Nope. Next thing for the Golf is a trip to the dealer for the 10k oil change. Decided to have them do this one at least. Curious what they will charge and don't want ANY warranty issues. Just in case. Will post our experience with the dealer and what they charge.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
sounds good, keep us posted. my VW dealer where i got my R has some of the highest customer ratings and reviews. i was quite impressed with the buying experience too.

the next VW i get, im DEFINITELY going back to this dealership even though its pretty far from where im at..

Old 12-09-2017, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
It's worth the drive to be treated well. Of the 3 VW dealers in my area I would only use one & it happens to be a 35 mile drive one way.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i think it helps that none of us are probably hardcore VW nor Golf fans, rather just fans of fun cars.. and coincidentally chose Golfs and met here. :D
I watched TV's MotorWeek this morning and was surprised to see two new sporty hatchbacks on the market the Kia Stinger and the Hyundai Elantra GT. The Hyundai even comes with a 6-Speed stick. One thing that my wife and I dislike in some interiors is a giant "tombstone" display that stands tall and dominates the dashboard, such as in these and the Mazda3 hatch. They'd be distracting to us, but we understand why buyers want these.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
It's worth the drive to be treated well. Of the 3 VW dealers in my area I would only use one & it happens to be a 35 mile drive one way.
yah, id definitely make the trip too.

Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
I watched TV's MotorWeek this morning and was surprised to see two new sporty hatchbacks on the market the Kia Stinger and the Hyundai Elantra GT. The Hyundai even comes with a 6-Speed stick. One thing that my wife and I dislike in some interiors is a giant "tombstone" display that stands tall and dominates the dashboard, such as in these and the Mazda3 hatch. They'd be distracting to us, but we understand why buyers want these.
im not fan of kia or hyundai but as far as hyundai goes, their Tuscon/SantaFe were one of the best rental cars ive driven. and i drive rentals pretty much every week during my biz trips so i have experience with a VERY wide range of cars, suvs, and even pickups out today. its like a free test drive of cars i would never buy but very good learning experience wat these companies are capable (or incapable) of.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
The Tucson and Mazda CX3 are indeed nice and both would have been perfect for us as semi-empty nesters, but without the availability of a stick on either, we sadly crossed them off our list.

We came close to buying a Santa Fe with a stick in 2010, but it sucked up a lot of garage space, had only modest power and was more vehicle than we needed. We instead chose our Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M, which introduced us to the world of VW.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
im glad to hear you're really into MT's like me, alco!

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg