Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
given ‘drives spiritedly’ i’m the same way, i didn’t even consider looking at the other golfs beside the GTI so the above comment. if ure happy with it, that’s all that matters.

driving the alltrack spiritedly is probably not a good choice either. golfs come in performance trim. get those unless just for regular driving.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
given ‘drives spiritedly’ i’m the same way, i didn’t even consider looking at the other golfs beside the GTI so the above comment. if ure happy with it, that’s all that matters.

driving the alltrack spiritedly is probably not a good choice either. golfs come in performance trim. get those unless just for regular driving.
I do agree with that, but that leads to the Golf R as a daily. Great daily, but not the cheapest option for getting back and forth to work.

Probably makes more sense to separate the daily and fun vehicles and live with the shortcomings of the daily.

The lines get so blurred though. A Prius daily would eat me alive until I didn't want to get up in the morning. LOL

Old 01-28-2018, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
the R will easily cover dd and fun. simple mods on the DSG-R will easily net you a 12 sec car, even stage1 will net you 0-60 sub 4sec that can repeat over and over. the handing is excellent for bumpy street roads too and you already know how great the interior is.

that said, might be worth checking one out. its not that expensive if you think about wat you get out of the car. id definitely get another one if something happened to mine.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT- I wouldn't have noticed the missing traction control button on the Golf either. I still think they are very nice cars even though the traction nanny can't be silenced. I'm going to check if there is one on the Alltrack. I think the Alltrack would be a lot of fun on back roads & forest roads especially.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
When I read GTI and R forums I sometimes see threads discussing behavior from other drivers in various brands who cover the spectrum of human idiocy depending on how you respond to their invitation to race or if you happen to wave a friendly hello.

Do y'all see much of this? North of 60 Years Old, I have no interest in stirring up competition. If I buy a GTI, it'll be for my own happiness, not to inflate my ego.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 01-28-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Alco, that probably varies greatly depending on where you live and drive.

I live in the sticks, so there's no inclination towards contests of speed. Just friendly nods from one car person to another.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
When I read GTI and R forums I sometimes see threads discussing behavior from other drivers in various brands who cover the spectrum of human idiocy depending on how you respond to their invitation to race or if you happen to wave a friendly hello.

Do y'all see much of this? North of 60 Years Old, I have no interest in stirring up competition. If I buy a GTI, it'll be for my own happiness, not to inflate my ego.
Thankfully I haven't seen this where I live. If someone wanted to race me I'd just laugh. If I want to race I know where the track is, but I hung up my helmet a few years ago.

That's quite a thread going on currently on the VW forum.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
ive had numerous occasions where some kid would line up while im cruising down the hwy and look over honking his horn with an upward chin knod wanting to race.

i just look at them with a olry face.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
I live in the Carolinas and have found most gearheads to be friendly here, both young and old. There's a lot of military bases the region, so there's a high number of military retirees who enjoy American muscle and love to talk cars. I've been to the local Cars & Coffee one time and the young people there seemed nice too.

People are pretty friendly down south and a wave and a hello are the cultural norm. Sounds like I need not worry.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 01-29-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
yah, people are friendly down south as long as one can speak english. :D

Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
There's a car meet every weekend somewhere in my town. The variety is usually pretty cool to see.

Nothing new is overly appreciated and I can agree with that. Nothing all that cool about something you can buy at a dealer and just drive to a car meet.

That being said, there's generally old VW's, Ford's, Chevy's, Honda's, etc at any meet. Whether it's a car, truck, domestic, or import, it's generally welcome as long as it has a few years of history and is unique.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
something original is wat id like to see at those meets if i go. ivent been to one in more than a decade. been to like sema and other auto conventions but not cars and coffee in a while. reason was, after a while started seeing the same cars and bored me to just sit and talk all morning/afternoon/evening while i could be out motoring my fun cars or working on them.

so any updates on your Golf, GAFIT?

Old 01-30-2018, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
I've been to exactly 1 cars & coffee meet. Rather than spend time in a parking lot I'd rather go for a back road drive. Although I do enjoy going to car shows.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
+1 ash! i’m the same way. chatting it up once in a while is fine but rather be motoring.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
No big updates here. Nearing 14k miles so need to pick up oil and filter soon for the 15k service.

Brakes and paint continue to get worse. On the bright side, other than the brakes making noise, the car still drives like a tank and is solid.

Last edited by GAFIT; 02-01-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Speaking of other motorheads, when I left the grocery store today and walked to my Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, I saw a brand new Crew of the exact same color parked adjacent. As luck would have it, its owner was exiting his truck. He smiled and said, "Is there any other color but ours?" We had a nice talk and he could barely believe the factory new condition of my 156K Mile '06. He's a long term Nissan fan and parked near me knowing his doors would be safe from dents.

Also saw a mid-80s Toyota Tercel today in excellent shape. A modest car in its day, but I've always liked it and it made me smile to see a fine example still on the road.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT - already 15k miles. wow! my GTI is 1.5 yrs old finally nearing 15k miles.

absolutely no issue on my ride.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Time to get out & drove more Ken. ;-) Short trips are harder on a car than putting road trip miles on them. That's severe service, check the manual I'm sure the schedule is different for that. I know you take good care of your rides so no offence meant.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Very true Ash! A lot of my friends live in FL and drive far fewer miles. It's amazing how worn out their 50k mile cars can be compared to our 100k plus.

One friends Civic just blew the head gasket at around 125k. That wouldn't happen in 300k plus normally, but the car is an '03 that has sat in Orlando traffic for 15 years.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
no, not in my case. i drive my cars until the oil is fully warmed up, don’t take them out at all if short trips

plus i’m like wtf with super high mileage cars. just get a new one every couple of yrs. that’s how i play

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg