Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, is there a reset learn sequence like how one resets the power window?

it’s possible you went into learn mode without knowing by holding the switch too long or something.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
the new R looks best in darker colors imo.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
huh, is there a reset learn sequence like how one resets the power window?

it’s possible you went into learn mode without knowing by holding the switch too long or something.
Anything is possible? Wife and I were together when it just stopped working.

They said they had to add back in the program. Said it had lost the sunroof program.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
the new R looks best in darker colors imo.
Here was my favorite...

https://www.autonationvwmallofgeorgi...4d32a6d808.htm

The color is not exciting, but I thought it looked classy. They have a blue one on OZ's that is sharp also.

I was just surprised how many they had. Can't find a Type R in the state just about, but can go to my local VW dealer and have color and transmission options in R's.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I seem to remember that there is some sort of sunroof reset procedure that may be required if the mechanism somehow senses resistance (like a kid's hand), but I can't find it anywhere on the Internet. I think it involved holding the switch in place while the glass completed one entire cycle, but I'm not certain.

A lot of people I know never use their sunroofs, but we use our Golf's sunroof a lot. I didn't choose the option on my Frontier because I'm 6' and the sunroof chopped ~2 Inches of headroom from the interior. I'm glad that the VW roof opens outside to keep headroom intact and I think it looks cool too.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 04-24-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting! We use ours a lot also. Everything still worked except the tilt feature. Would still open and close, but when we would push up to tilt, it opened instead.

Funny enough, everyone in the waiting room was there for electronic gremlins.

One guy there had a Tiguan for less than a month. It would only blow hot air on the driver. Passenger side blew cold.

Cars are just rolling electronics these days.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Here was my favorite...

https://www.autonationvwmallofgeorgi...4d32a6d808.htm

The color is not exciting, but I thought it looked classy. They have a blue one on OZ's that is sharp also.

I was just surprised how many they had. Can't find a Type R in the state just about, but can go to my local VW dealer and have color and transmission options in R's.
that's a good color indeed. the front facia with the new vents are a bit too aggressive for lighter colors and the darker colors blends it in real nicely.

in my area there's like 7-8 dealers and most all of them have 5-6 R's in stock both in MT and DSG. so tempting.. the *only* reasons why im holding back is i dont want to trade in my GTI just yet after the work i already put into the car, if i traded the GK my wife'll drive the GTI and i knowz she will destroy the car.. lol, my GTI has been flawless.., and my drive to work is pretty boring and mostly slow speeds.. but kinda cool if i had two Golf-R's fosho..

Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it works in both positions. It kind of bends to fit, but it still works.
Thank you again -- I just ordered the same Trunk Liner with Cargo Blocks [5G0-061-166--469] as you run with. It's for my wife's birthday. Shhhhh! :-)

Ends up that the VW Cargo Net [5N0-065-111] doesn't hang with an open top. It lays flat on the floor and you're expected to stuff items under it. This would be ridiculously inconvenient for groceries, so I deleted it from consideration. An organizer like this held with the Cargo Blocks would be a much better solution I think.

VW 33D061104

Old 04-25-2018, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
It lays flat on the floor and you're expected to stuff items under it. This would be ridiculously inconvenient for groceries
That is silly!

I like your plan for a container instead!

Old 04-25-2018, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
i have one of those red fabric SnapOn brand totes like the one alco posted in my STI. thing is great. everything stays in place.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Holy cow -- I ordered the Trunk Liner with Cargo Blocks from DAP on Wednesday and it arrived Friday evening. Very impressive. It's in a large-ish long box and it's hopefully hidden from my wife behind my truck.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
:D sounds great alco. yah, dap is one of my go to stores. that and ecstuning

Old 04-28-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
btw, ash... you asked how i like the oil filler funnel i bought for my Golfs.

it worked out well, easy to mount, stable, and no leaks. but it is a bit on the tall side, i think it could be half the height and still do fine. also cleaning it afterwards is a little pita... i used brake cleaner to get most of the oil off, the some RC motor spray, followed by coating the seals with Prima Nero (similar to water based aerospace 303) to protect.

https://www.shopdap.com/vw-audi-special-oil-funnel.html

Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the review Ken. It looked quite tall to me too. Since I have a funnel that works I'll continue to use it for now. Maybe if I can catch a sale that one I'll get one.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
sure thing, and yah.. honestly if i was only doing one car at a time, id probably just tell my kid to hold the funnel while i pour. lol

its like i spend 2-3min pouring and 10min cleaning...so for a shop might be an effective tool, but not sure for weekend hobbyist like me.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
My wife opened her Trunk Liner with Cargo Blocks [5G0-061-166--469] birthday gift last night and she likes it a bunch. It's very well made, fits fine and looks good too. Per GAFIT, there's a slight squeeze if the mat in the lower position and it's inconsequential. Yay!

Felix the Fit arrived home from college on Friday with another nail in a tire and failing A/C. Got the tire repaired yesterday and will test the A/C today with a thermometer to see what might be up with it. I know little about A/C.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Checked the Fit's A/C and it's cooling 25 Deg. below ambient temperature at the vent. I read on the Internet that 30 Deg. is good ..... no, 45 Deg. is good ..... no, only a factory trained tech can determine. Sheeesh. What do y'all think? Maybe a little weak?

It's 80 Deg. in the shade where the Fit is parked and I see 55 Deg. at the vent. At 80 Deg. in the garage, my Nissan cools to 52 Deg.. I didn't check the Golf.

A friend mentioned that the Fit might automatically take the A/C compressor off line when the engine is laboring under load. Does anyone know if the Fit is so equipped? The car was 100% packed full of dorm stuff and running at Interstate speeds on rolling hills. This makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 05-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
these fits have weak A/C. best you get window tint if you haven't already.

i do remember my GE's a/c shut down when i was on it.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit's compressor does cycle based on engine load. They also cut off/on when idling to save fuel.

That being said, I bet it's low on freon. Every Honda we've owned was shipped from the factory on the low side of full. The explanation I got years ago was some nonsense about transporting and not knowing where the car would be used for the proper fill amount.

Back in 2008 we had my wife's Ford dealer run a test and they determined it was ever so slightly low on freon. They topped off the Fit and it's blown ice cold ever since. Knock on wood, 10 years later and it's still great.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Okay then, likely that nothing is wrong with the Fit's A/C. I've seen those Freon fill kits at stores. I suppose I could try one of those if/when needed. My student said that the A/C was fine before the big trip home. I might take the Fit for a spin to see how well I think the A/C works under normal load.

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg