Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Old 06-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, when i have a flat on my cars i too usually just keep it on the scissors jack until i get the tire patched or watever. the benefit of having multiple cars.

plus dese days, just use uber! much better to roll the wheel/tire in loose vs on the car which they could mess up the lug torque and all.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the Fit enjoying an oil change. Rather than buy ramps, I bought lumber and made stands to rest the tires on. I saved only a small amount of money and these things are HEAVY to lug around. Probably should have bought ramps. Anyway, I feel very safe under the Fit and the Golf using these. I put my floor jack under each jacking point and push the stands in place. I normally also use chocks by the rear wheels, but this day my chocks were deployed on the Golf with the flat tire!

2013 Fit Sport Oil Change

Old 06-24-2018, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
looks sturdy to me!

btw, how do you cleanly dump ur used oil into a jug without an angled lip on your drain pan? do you use a large funnel? before, i used a triangular drain pan which worked okay, these days i use one with a faucet looking drain + funnel.. super easy to use.

this might be the exact one i use from lisle..

https://www.tooltopia.com/_img/LIS/LIS17942.jpg

Old 06-24-2018, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
I have the one you linked to Ken. It's a pretty good drain pan, I just have to remember to stuff a paper towel in the spout when I'm done with it. Otherwise it it will drip. I also place it on a piece of pig mat to catch any drips that do happen.

Those Griots lintmaster towels you threw away would have been great for the messy oil change clean ups.

Alco those stands look very sturdy. I wouldn't be afraid to get under there.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
yes i too stuff a paper towel in the spout after the work.

lol'ed at lintmaster. haha! im a little worried about spontaneous combustion as i do not have a fire trash can in the garage.. my rc car lipo's are in the fire can right now in the basement. lol

Old 06-24-2018, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
… btw, how do you cleanly dump ur used oil into a jug without an angled lip on your drain pan? do you use a large funnel?
Yep, exactly. I should look into buying a specialty drain pan like y'all have.

Although the local auto parts stores accept used oil, our fire stations do as well and they're well equipped with purpose-built oil recycling stations with large tanks. They're very convenient, although some people inexplicably leave their filled jugs on the curb and drive off!

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 06-24-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
I cruised past the VW Dealer the other day and these wheels on a 2018 GTI caught my eye. I'm okay with the 18" Dallas factory wheels, but I'd maybe prefer something else if I someday buy a GTI. I did a little research and these are VW's 18" "Rotary" wheels. I'm not sure that these hit the bullseye, but they're much closer to what I have in mind.

So then do 18" wheels rattle your teeth? I thought that the 16s on the Wolfsburg would ride harshly, but they're fine. I do read about owners busting 18" rims in potholes and looking at these, I can see how.

18 Inch VW Rotary Wheels on 2018 GTI

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 06-24-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Looking into the Dealer's used car showroom this (Sunday) afternoon, I spotted this used 2017 Golf R and shot a photo of it through the glass. At 19,000 Miles, it's priced at $37,599 on the window and $34,470 on the website. That's quite the pricing delta.

What an awesome looking car, eh?

Used 2017 Golf R

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 06-24-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
alco - wow fire house taking your used oil sounds great. i dont think my area does that.

yah, my Golf-R is white and it looks great with those pretoria wheels. i still prefer the 15-17 Golf-R's styling vs the refresh. I like the GTI's refresh though over my 16 GTI's front bumper.

as for ride firmness, my R runs 19's (same wheels as the black R in ur pict) and with the factory 5P continental tires set at the factory 39psi and suspension in the 'normal' setting, my car runs very smooth. even in the 'race' setting it is still softer riding than my STI.

with factory springs these cars run smooth, so 18's should do just fine. my GTI runs VMR lowering springs with S04 19" tires set at 41psi + which is a pretty stiff ride, but i dd it every day no issue. these cars run high psi due to its low profile 235/35/19 tires.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
For a factory VW wheel, those Rotary's look pretty darn good. I'd have to see in person, but maybe just 2-5mm spacers and roll with them.

I like that they are more open looking vs blocky. Most of the VW wheels tend to be a bit blocky. I think our Wolfsburg wheels would look better if the spokes were smaller.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
yes i too stuff a paper towel in the spout after the work.

lol'ed at lintmaster. haha! im a little worried about spontaneous combustion as i do not have a fire trash can in the garage.. my rc car lipo's are in the fire can right now in the basement. lol
Good thought about spontaneous combustion. It's a real thing that most folks never consider. I have a metal can with a lid that oily rags go into. Pick up a small metal can with a lid & your are good to go. It doesn't have to be fancy.

The local Advanced Auto Parts store takes my used oil. Makes recycling easy. The local Valvoline Oil Change shop used to take it, until stupid folks just left they leaking jugs laying there at night.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
… my Golf-R is white and it looks great with those pretoria wheels. ….
I just looked at the Pretorias and man, they look absolutely cool. I made a note of them. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
I cruised past the VW Dealer the other day and these wheels on a 2018 GTI caught my eye. I'm okay with the 18" Dallas factory wheels, but I'd maybe prefer something else if I someday buy a GTI. I did a little research and these are VW's 18" "Rotary" wheels. I'm not sure that these hit the bullseye, but they're much closer to what I have in mind.

So then do 18" wheels rattle your teeth? I thought that the 16s on the Wolfsburg would ride harshly, but they're fine. I do read about owners busting 18" rims in potholes and looking at these, I can see how.

I like those Rotory wheels, but VW wants crazy money for them.

My GTI came with 18" wheels. I thought the ride was OK, but worried about busting tires & bending rims. I dropped down to a 17" rim 225-45-17 & haven't killed a tire or bent a rim yet. I found someone who wanted my tires & wheels so it was a very low cost to do the switch. Otherwise I may have not done it.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
... u just had to bring up my bent 18.. yah bent a OZ wheel $600 otd..

;) lol

Old 06-25-2018, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
I just looked at the Pretorias and man, they look absolutely cool. I made a note of them. Thanks!
yah i’m going to try some ceramic pads next week to tone down da brake dust! those silver finish is real nice but only takes 3 drives to make them brown.. yikes

Old 06-25-2018, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
I think the ceramic pads will help. Although it's been my thought that the redish brown color is produced by a combination of pad & rotor.

Sorry about your OZ Ken. I have less money in all 4 of my wheels. I guess being a poor cheap old fart has paid off for me.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
ash- yah, one part of me is wondering if the ceramic pads are going to mess with the haldex vehicle dynamic/vectoring system. i mean the brakes is a huge part of the R's excellent handling so im kinda scratching my head if i should even mess with it just for the sake of keeping my wheels clean.

i mean if my R was a dd it do it for sure...but since she's my hobby car maybe i should just keep the pad as-is and just suck it up, clean the wheels every weekend. haha

my GTI runs the same brakes as my R but runs matte graphite wheels so brake dust is really no issue unless i dont wash it for over 2 weeks. hummm..

Old 06-25-2018, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah, no worries on the OZ. ive already curbed one of my Pretorias last Fall and it was $900 with new tire for one. lol ouch

Old 06-26-2018, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Ouch on curbing a wheel. My wife curbed several wheels on our '10 TDI, then became much more cautious and never ruined another. We had one repaired with excellent results, but I bought a spare VW Bioline alloy wheel when it happened again.

When we sold the TDI, I sold the extra Bioline on eBay. I broke even on the sale and the guy who bought it was very pleased.

Happily, all has been well with the Golf's wheels and neither of us has scraped the front underside on a parking block or curb yet. I did that once on the TDI and the sound was awful, though no mechanical damage was done.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Ken if I was in your boat I'd just suck it up & clean the wheels. I didn't realize you were contemplating the ceramics for the R. With the ceramics you'll be giving up some braking goodness, I think.

Alco- curbed wheels it's a scourge. My wife has curbed all her wheels on the MINI. Not sure how she got the ones on the drivers side??? I bet if I check she has curbed the spare that has never been on the car. I love her more than the wheels so it's ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg