Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Several years ago Nissan fielded a sort of triangular-shaped LeMans car which was unusual to say the least. Not sure what class it raced in. Unfortunately it spun out and regulations found that only the driver could recover it and get it back on the track (or something like that). As I recall, the Japanese driver wept as he tried unsuccessfully in his effort. It was an emotionally moving sight.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Oh yes the delta wing. It ran over here in IMSA for a number of years. Unfortunately it never proved to be a winner. It was great to see someone trying something so innovative. Racing has become so much a spec class, innovation isn't seen much these days.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Oh yes the delta wing. It ran over here in IMSA for a number of years. Unfortunately it never proved to be a winner. It was great to see someone trying something so innovative. Racing has become so much a spec class, innovation isn't seen much these days.
I couldn't agree more with you on modern racing. I'm no expert in any of it, but every aspect seems so highly regulated that much of the fun has gone away. NASCAR has now directed that all teams must use only one kind of impact wrench in the pits and now they divide each race into "Stages" to make it more exciting?

I like that LeMans continues in the rain, which is a rarity in racing elsewhere. Throw on different tires, turn on the wipers and get back out there with an extra measure of driving skill.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
When it rains you really can see who the best drivers are. How much HP you have doesn't matter. I love the rain it's the great equalizer.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
When it rains you really can see who the best drivers are. How much HP you have doesn't matter. I love the rain it's the great equalizer.
Great way to put it. Just checked LeMans weather and it looks good. Cloudy in the upper 60s by day and upper 50s at night with only a 10% chance of rain.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
tires and sus set up by da crew helps. driver is only part of the equation unless dey all drive the same cars.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad there won't be rain at LeMans. Rain in the dead of night at those speeds yikes! I loved the rain, but our races were about a half hour to an hour & in daylight.

Yes Ken the crew does set the car up. That being said, given a great driver the team will be able to beat better cars. Crew+setup are part of the equation, the driver is the largest part of it all. In racing these days you see many drivers who buy their ride. It's their money & not their talent that gets them the good seat. Sometimes the money & talent come together. It is pretty funny watching the faces of those who got whipped by a pos car driven by a great driver.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
dat would be fun to watch indeed, a pos car beating a rolls royce of a machine.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
It happens, but you have to watch closely. It doesn't happen often in the bigger leagues, but it happens. My experience is in the shallow end of the racing pool where that was bound to happen a couple of times a year.

LeMans is starting!

Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
have fun ash! keep us posted. i need to head out in a bit..

Old 06-17-2018, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Well, Toyota received a 'W' in LMP1, placing 1st and 2nd actually. Not a huge surprise given that they ran the only hybrids, but it was nice to see a joyous and successful team.

Porsche's "Pink Pig" won the LMGTE Pro! My wife will have new wallpaper on her PC at work. <g>

Porsche 911 Pink Pig

Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to see no real competition for Toyota. That being said that race is no cake walk. Congrats to them. The real racing was in the GT class. Congrats to the pink pig. I'd have liked to see either a Corvette or Ford GT win. They'll get them next year.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
wat, a camry beat them all? yikes..

Old 06-18-2018, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
No it was the Prius from hell. ;-P

Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
lol'ed..!!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
My wife drove over something with Rolf the Golf this morning and blew out a rear tire. She heard a thump, then heard something hit the fender well as it left.

Whatever it was, it left a small bit of tread damage in the Hankook. I dismounted it and placed a square of tape around the spot. There's also a teeny nail in the tread a few inches away and the tire guy intoned that if there's a leak at both spots, they can't put patches that close together. So, we'll see what happens. Tire should be ready in late afternoon.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Must be a Golf thing. LOL We have one newer Junkook and three original. Got a screw near the sidewall.

Bought the oil for it's 25k oil change. Will probably do next weekend because we have company this weekend.

Isn't going to take us too long to see if our VW is reliable. Miles are adding up quickly!

Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
This has been a busy day in Alco's garage, starting with the above tire trouble.

The airbag light in my Frontier started blinking yesterday after 12 years. It's not an uncommon problem and I was aware of a DIY reset and test procedure involving a sequence of key turns and precise wait times. It worked the first time through and the airbag system test sequence worked as well. Yay.

Nissan has all sorts of "secret" DIY error code reset procedures, including one for the TPMS which has been a huge relief to me and other gearhead owners.

Next up is an engine oil change today on the Fit. Sheesh it's hot outside today, high 90s.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Mang if you guys were local you can haz my junkook tires off my factory wheels. lol

Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Hee hee -- Junkkook! No call yet from the tire store, but I expect some news soon.

The Golf is up on a jack in the parking lot where my wife works. Figured it a waste of time to mount and dismount the donut spare if she didn't need to go anywhere.

Fit oil change and rear wiper blade change done, with excellent help from a FitFreak member on the rear wiper blade. I just couldn't figure it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg