Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:58 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah my wife always makes fun of me dat i can’t drive under 5mph.. dat curbed wheel was from making a right turn in the city where the intersection is more rectangular for pedestrians to wait at the corner vs where i live in da burbs where we just run over pedestrians. lol

ash - yah i should probably just suck it up and clean da wheels.. guess i’ll keep the pads for when i get the DSG Golf-R soon.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
I curbed one of the polished 20's on the Lincoln at the drive through at my Son's school. I have no idea why they did the lane the way they did. It has a weird tight curve and high curbs. Every truck just rubs their way through.

Came straight home and grabbed the dremel. Got it looking good from a distance at least.

If I keep it long enough, I'll pick tires for it with a better curb protector. The factory Michelin's had a good thick rib to protect the wheels. Tires I replaced them with are just a smooth sidewall.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
… My wife has curbed all her wheels on the MINI. …
At the time, I suggested to my wife that we should have instead bought a Hummer so that she could just drive over curbs instead of into them.

I know that some day justice will be served and I'll curb a wheel in her Golf or my future GTI. :-O

Old 06-26-2018, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
i was thinking about getting my wife an mini suv next time cause she curbs her wheels ALL THE TIME! the GK's wheels look so sad (well, maybe not so bad to most people but my cars dont have any wheel damage so..). another reason why she doesnt want me spending money on a new car for her.. she hates it when i look disappointed.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
I figure it's my wife's car, oh well. These days I don't even mention a new curbing. I don't want to make her feel bad. In fact she has begun to tell me when she's had a curbing so I can check that her tire has survived, so that's something.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
My wife grew up on a farm and took her driving test in a Subaru wagon with a manual.

Other than plenty of full throttle runs, she's pretty easy on cars.

As far back as I can remember, I'm the only one of the two of us that have curbed a wheel. Well....she slid the Golf into a curb on ice, but it didn't leave a mark. She got lucky on that one.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
My wife is a good driver. She got her SCCA national racing license so she could race with me. I'd race on Saturday & she'd race on Sundays. You'd think with that experience she'd be able to park & not hit a curb. LOL

Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
good drivers usually suck at driving below 5 mph..

Old 07-23-2018, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
I was out enjoying a Sunday afternoon cruise and happened upon our BMW dealer. Golly, the 230i and M240i Two Door Coupes are great looking cars. I'd written off BMW, not knowing they made anything like it in this era and I think they can be had with a manual transmission. Car & Driver's review reads that the 2-Series steps cleanly away from what BMW has become and is a driver's car.

Frankly, the pricetag is probably more than I wish to spend, but it was sure nice to come across a car that I find quite fetching.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, a good friend of mine had an M235i and loved it! Traded it for a 335i hardtop convertible for his wife. They also have an x5. They've owned Z, 2 series, 3 series, 5 series, and x5 now. I think he's become a BMW snob. They make some awesome stuff if you pick the right models and he does. Almost all have been manual with m sport packages.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Good to hear BMW has moved back to their roots. At least with a couple of models. If you buy one & plan to keep it a long time an extended warranty might be a good add on. Repair costs can be brutal.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
I've heard too that BMWs are expensive to maintain. I think BMW knows they have a problem with this perception because a page on their website extolls the benefits of a visit to a BMW Dealer for "competitive pricing on a variety of services" with 4 Cyl. oil changes starting at $89.95 and tire rotations at $69.95. Gee, how will they keep the doors open with discounts like that? <g>

Old 07-23-2018, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
They hope that VW gets people used to European dealer pricing and then the BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche prices just seem normal.

Our VW dealer literally charges more than double what our Honda and Ford dealers charge for an oil change.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
I paid $69 at VW for our 10K Oil change, which I thought was pretty reasonable. The Service Manager tried to bundle a bunch of unnecessary services into a "deal" at nearly $200. I declined, though I did pay $20 for a tire rotation knowing that it's a pain to do myself. I'm never confident with placing jackstands under unibody cars, although I've done it many times.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
I agree...that's not too bad. Still double though...

https://www.hondamallofgeorgia.com/s...sid-17561.html

$20 more and it could have been for your new BMW :)

Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Well, Felix the Fit headed back to college yesterday. I'm pleased that I was able to do all of the preventative maintenance I planned over the summer. Unlike the trip home in May when Felix was overloaded and the A/C quit, this time the Frontier did the heavy haul and Felix carried the bulky lightweight stuff. A/C was fine. Felix will also gain covered parking this year!

Old 08-18-2018, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Nice Alco! I can only imagine the happiness and simultaneous sadness that comes with sending your child off to college. Our son is almost 8 and I already can see that it will not be easy on the Mom.

How many miles on the Fit now? My Mom's '11 Sport auto just rolled 100k. So far, so good. I did a valve adjustment and put a new drive belt on it last visit. Next visit it needs brakes. Wish they lived closer so I could just take care of it entirely for her. My Dad is NOT a DIY'er.

Our Golf, Otto, is nearing it's 30k oil change at the dealer. Probably in a couple of weeks.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
alco- already that time of yr, huh? good to hear the ac's okay on the GE. my kids started school this week as well.

gafit- wow 30k miles already? dang.. mostly hwy driving? u guys sure take care of ur cars well.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Nice Alco! I can only imagine the happiness and simultaneous sadness that comes with sending your child off to college. Our son is almost 8 and I already can see that it will not be easy on the Mom. … How many miles on the Fit now? …
You hit the nail on the head. As parents, we do our best to instill independence in our kids and going to college is a natural step in the plan. And, yes, it's toughest on Mom. I worry about how I might handle a problem with the Fit when I'm not near by. We never joined AAA because I'm always there and because of the expense, but I'm sort of thinking about it now.

The Fit now has 80,000 Miles on the clock. The spark plugs were tight at 60K and I don't plan on checking them again until replacement at 100K because they're such a pain to access. The serpentine belt is original. It's on my mind to replace it, but it's not an easy job and Honda rubber seems to last a good long while.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
My little guy is now 31 years old. Where does the time go? He has grown into a very nice man that we are very proud of. Enjoy them when they are young, in the blink of an eye they are grown & gone.

Quick Reply: VW Golf Wofsburg